Sandwiches from around the world!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a picture of a gravy packet made by a local chain of chicken restos, so you can make make a hot chicken sandwich at home that tastes like resto food. In most restos around here (Quebec), if you order "hot chicken", you will get something that looks like this. The peas could be on the side. Does this seem more like a sandwich?

sauce-hot-chicken-sandwich-hot-chicken-sandwich-066701000022.png
That looks good. Never had hot chicken sandwich just hot roast beef and hot turkey.

That is not what I think of as a sandwich, but I guess there are sandwiches and there are sandwiches. I can't see Lord Sandwich carrying that with him to eat on his way to battle lol. The meat and gravy look lovely, but I think I would have some veg and potato with it and maybe use a bit of bread to soak up the gravy if necessary.

Gillian

It's hard to see, but there are a couple slices of white bread under there. And that's mashed potatoes with gravy in the back. This is an exaggerated version, with more meat and gravy than is typically served. Really delicious, though :yum:

There's probably a separate dish of peas or green beans on the table ;)

That is not what I think of as a sandwich, but I guess there are sandwiches and there are sandwiches. I can't see Lord Sandwich carrying that with him to eat on his way to battle lol. The meat and gravy look lovely, but I think I would have some veg and potato with it and maybe use a bit of bread to soak up the gravy if necessary.

Gillian

There is a thick slice of bread under the beef. I prefer them with a slice of bread on top too.

I've done it with beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and lamb. If the meat has a good, rich gravy associated with it, it can be a "hot xxxxx" sandwich.

There is a thick slice of bread under the beef. I prefer them with a slice of bread on top too.

I've done it with beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and lamb. If the meat has a good, rich gravy associated with it, it can be a "hot xxxxx" sandwich.
Ha...it is still a very odd description of a sandwich....where does it stop, e.g. placing a bit of bread under a banana split = a banana sandwich? :wacko:

Here's a picture of a gravy packet made by a local chain of chicken restos, so you can make make a hot chicken sandwich at home that tastes like resto food. In most restos around here (Quebec), if you order "hot chicken", you will get something that looks like this. The peas could be on the side. Does this seem more like a sandwich?

sauce-hot-chicken-sandwich-hot-chicken-sandwich-066701000022.png

It does look more like a sandwich, but I wouldn't involve the gravy and the peas, unless I was really stuck for something to go with the chicken.

My fellow UKers can correct me if I am wrong, but I think sandwiches here tend to be made with cold meats and sometimes include salad vegetables.

Gillian

It does look more like a sandwich, but I wouldn't involve the gravy and the peas, unless I was really stuck for something to go with the chicken.

My fellow UKers can correct me if I am wrong, but I think sandwiches here tend to be made with cold meats and sometimes include salad vegetables.

Gillian

At most good lunch restaurants around here, there are at least as many hot sandwiches as there are cold. In most cases there are more hot than cold, especially if you count hot dogs and hamburgers. They are at least toasted to melt the cheese and blend the good stuff together. When I eat a burger, I usually garnish with cold lettuce, tomato and onion, but it's still essentially a hot sandwich.

Like I said, in the UK sandwiches tend to made with cold meats and sometimes salad, although this is changing due to the influence of McDonalds, KFC, Burger King and the like.

Enjoy your sandwiches today, whatever form they come in! I have just had some made with toasted brown bread, spread with avocado pear and filled with slices of red onion.

Gillian

Like I said, in the UK sandwiches tend to made with cold meats and sometimes salad, although this is changing due to the influence of McDonalds, KFC, Burger King and the like.

Enjoy your sandwiches today, whatever form they come in! I have just had some made with toasted brown bread, spread with avocado pear and filled with slices of red onion.

Gillian

Yum, Yum. Warm with butter melting into it. :angel:

Here in Italy you get sandwiches - panini - in the caffè bars, at the motorway bars, at the airports, and all over Italy now there are 'paninoteche', sandwich shops popping up everywhere in the big cities, the tourist resorts and in the mountain resorts (The North-West boundaries of Italy are all Alpine routes and resorts). Toasted ham and cheese is a big favourite, salami and salad, mozzarella and tomato, Parma ham and salad, cheese and salad porchetta (scrumptious roast suckling pig flavoured with rosemary and garlic, hot straight from the spit, tuna and salad. These are served in Italian flatbread as sandwiches, crusty rolls and piadina, a type of bread similar to Mexican bread for wraps. Sandwiches are ever increasing in popularity and are the only kind of street food you're likely to get here, unless it's things like donuts, cannoli and other types of street food sold at the many travelling fairs that go around Italy during the great winter festivals, especially Carnevale.:):):)

Hope that's informative enough!

di reston

Enough is never a as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

"People of ze wurl, relax" - spoken by the wise parrot in Tom Robbins' book Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates:yum:

The Brits - of whom I am one!!! - have two traditional sandwiches, hitherto unmentioned:

The Bacon Butty (Butty means sandwich made with buttered bread) and

The Sausage Sandwich

both served hot, bread either buttered (for the posh) or with the bacon/sausage fat soaked into one side of the bread that will be the inside of the sandwich. These are to be revered as the true working man's sandwich, to satisfy the souls of what these men are made of, men of oak who are the very core of what it is to be British! We have to pay tribute to them!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

"People of ze wurl, relax!" Tom Robbins, Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates

Here in Italy you get sandwiches - panini - in the caffè bars, at the motorway bars, at the airports, and all over Italy now there are 'paninoteche', sandwich shops popping up everywhere in the big cities, the tourist resorts and in the mountain resorts (The North-West boundaries of Italy are all Alpine routes and resorts). Toasted ham and cheese is a big favourite, salami and salad, mozzarella and tomato, Parma ham and salad, cheese and salad porchetta (scrumptious roast suckling pig flavoured with rosemary and garlic, hot straight from the spit, tuna and salad. These are served in Italian flatbread as sandwiches, crusty rolls and piadina, a type of bread similar to Mexican bread for wraps. Sandwiches are ever increasing in popularity and are the only kind of street food you're likely to get here, unless it's things like donuts, cannoli and other types of street food sold at the many travelling fairs that go around Italy during the great winter festivals, especially Carnevale.:):):)

Hope that's informative enough!

di reston

Panini for lunch was one of my favorite things about Italy :heart:

Attachments

• DSC07775.jpg
    DSC07775.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 184
GG, that panino looks delicious! Tuna? Chicken? I could see making something like that in this very hot weather...

Here in Italy you get sandwiches - panini - in the caffè bars, at the motorway bars, at the airports, and all over Italy now there are 'paninoteche', sandwich shops popping up everywhere in the big cities...
There is a local Cleveland sandwich shop chain that started as one small storefront in 1986 in the Cleveland Flats, back when it was mostly factories and rough-and-tumble bars. Now both "Paninis Bar & Grill" (forgive their use of that "s" at the end) and The Flats have gone upscale and expanded. Still a good place to go for a great sandwich.

We had several "autostrada paninis" when we were driving around northern Italy. Those places were really quite good - a definite cut or two above Americal fast food.

We had several "autostrada paninis" when we were driving around northern Italy. Those places were really quite good - a definite cut or two above Americal fast food.

You are absolutely right!:yum: IMO, they are a cut above some of the places we ate at on our bus tour. Did you get to Stresa? It was one of the places we chose to be on our own for dinner. Found a small place and the food was just incredible!

You are absolutely right!:yum: IMO, they are a cut above some of the places we ate at on our bus tour. Did you get to Stresa? It was one of the places we chose to be on our own for dinner. Found a small place and the food was just incredible!

Our best eating experiences were in Tuscany (big surprise :rolleyes: ). Since we were driving on our own, we had the luxury of exploring, and we found a couple of great places, one in old Florence called Cafe Bigalo where we ate a couple of times, but our best find was Osteria Bottega di Lornano in the small village of Lornano, about 4 miles outside of Siena (and about the same distance from the agritourismo where we were staying). Not only great food but a great overall experience with the friendliest people. The second time we ate there, we were family. We were the only tourists that we saw there - all the rest of the people seemed to be local or semi local - even the waiters spoke only a little more English than we did Italian, which is almost none. I'd have stayed in Tuscany a couple more days just to eat there at least one more time if we hadn't already had reservations up the west coast in Porto Venera.

Back
Top Bottom