"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #161
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Here's a picture of a gravy packet made by a local chain of chicken restos, so you can make make a hot chicken sandwich at home that tastes like resto food. In most restos around here (Quebec), if you order "hot chicken", you will get something that looks like this. The peas could be on the side. Does this seem more like a sandwich?

That looks good. Never had hot chicken sandwich just hot roast beef and hot turkey.
__________________

__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #162
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,875
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
That looks good. Never had hot chicken sandwich just hot roast beef and hot turkey.
Personally, I like to shred the chicken more and serve it open faced. The chicken soaks up more gravy that way.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #163
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
That is not what I think of as a sandwich, but I guess there are sandwiches and there are sandwiches. I can't see Lord Sandwich carrying that with him to eat on his way to battle lol. The meat and gravy look lovely, but I think I would have some veg and potato with it and maybe use a bit of bread to soak up the gravy if necessary.

Gillian
It's hard to see, but there are a couple slices of white bread under there. And that's mashed potatoes with gravy in the back. This is an exaggerated version, with more meat and gravy than is typically served. Really delicious, though

There's probably a separate dish of peas or green beans on the table
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #164
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
That is not what I think of as a sandwich, but I guess there are sandwiches and there are sandwiches. I can't see Lord Sandwich carrying that with him to eat on his way to battle lol. The meat and gravy look lovely, but I think I would have some veg and potato with it and maybe use a bit of bread to soak up the gravy if necessary.

Gillian
There is a thick slice of bread under the beef. I prefer them with a slice of bread on top too.

I've done it with beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and lamb. If the meat has a good, rich gravy associated with it, it can be a "hot xxxxx" sandwich.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #165
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
There is a thick slice of bread under the beef. I prefer them with a slice of bread on top too.

I've done it with beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and lamb. If the meat has a good, rich gravy associated with it, it can be a "hot xxxxx" sandwich.
Ha...it is still a very odd description of a sandwich....where does it stop, e.g. placing a bit of bread under a banana split = a banana sandwich?
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:27 PM   #166
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Antrim
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Here's a picture of a gravy packet made by a local chain of chicken restos, so you can make make a hot chicken sandwich at home that tastes like resto food. In most restos around here (Quebec), if you order "hot chicken", you will get something that looks like this. The peas could be on the side. Does this seem more like a sandwich?

It does look more like a sandwich, but I wouldn't involve the gravy and the peas, unless I was really stuck for something to go with the chicken.

My fellow UKers can correct me if I am wrong, but I think sandwiches here tend to be made with cold meats and sometimes include salad vegetables.

Gillian
__________________
GilliAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #167
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
It does look more like a sandwich, but I wouldn't involve the gravy and the peas, unless I was really stuck for something to go with the chicken.

My fellow UKers can correct me if I am wrong, but I think sandwiches here tend to be made with cold meats and sometimes include salad vegetables.

Gillian
At most good lunch restaurants around here, there are at least as many hot sandwiches as there are cold. In most cases there are more hot than cold, especially if you count hot dogs and hamburgers. They are at least toasted to melt the cheese and blend the good stuff together. When I eat a burger, I usually garnish with cold lettuce, tomato and onion, but it's still essentially a hot sandwich.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #168
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Antrim
Posts: 42
Like I said, in the UK sandwiches tend to made with cold meats and sometimes salad, although this is changing due to the influence of McDonalds, KFC, Burger King and the like.

Enjoy your sandwiches today, whatever form they come in! I have just had some made with toasted brown bread, spread with avocado pear and filled with slices of red onion.

Gillian
__________________
GilliAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #169
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
Like I said, in the UK sandwiches tend to made with cold meats and sometimes salad, although this is changing due to the influence of McDonalds, KFC, Burger King and the like.

Enjoy your sandwiches today, whatever form they come in! I have just had some made with toasted brown bread, spread with avocado pear and filled with slices of red onion.

Gillian
Yum, Yum. Warm with butter melting into it.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #170
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calosso, Piemonte
Posts: 309
Here in Italy you get sandwiches - panini - in the caffè bars, at the motorway bars, at the airports, and all over Italy now there are 'paninoteche', sandwich shops popping up everywhere in the big cities, the tourist resorts and in the mountain resorts (The North-West boundaries of Italy are all Alpine routes and resorts). Toasted ham and cheese is a big favourite, salami and salad, mozzarella and tomato, Parma ham and salad, cheese and salad porchetta (scrumptious roast suckling pig flavoured with rosemary and garlic, hot straight from the spit, tuna and salad. These are served in Italian flatbread as sandwiches, crusty rolls and piadina, a type of bread similar to Mexican bread for wraps. Sandwiches are ever increasing in popularity and are the only kind of street food you're likely to get here, unless it's things like donuts, cannoli and other types of street food sold at the many travelling fairs that go around Italy during the great winter festivals, especially Carnevale.

Hope that's informative enough!

di reston

Enough is never a as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

"People of ze wurl, relax" - spoken by the wise parrot in Tom Robbins' book Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates
__________________

__________________
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sandwich

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.