"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 04-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #161
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Here's a picture of a gravy packet made by a local chain of chicken restos, so you can make make a hot chicken sandwich at home that tastes like resto food. In most restos around here (Quebec), if you order "hot chicken", you will get something that looks like this. The peas could be on the side. Does this seem more like a sandwich?

That looks good. Never had hot chicken sandwich just hot roast beef and hot turkey.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #162
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
That looks good. Never had hot chicken sandwich just hot roast beef and hot turkey.
Personally, I like to shred the chicken more and serve it open faced. The chicken soaks up more gravy that way.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #163
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
That is not what I think of as a sandwich, but I guess there are sandwiches and there are sandwiches. I can't see Lord Sandwich carrying that with him to eat on his way to battle lol. The meat and gravy look lovely, but I think I would have some veg and potato with it and maybe use a bit of bread to soak up the gravy if necessary.

Gillian
It's hard to see, but there are a couple slices of white bread under there. And that's mashed potatoes with gravy in the back. This is an exaggerated version, with more meat and gravy than is typically served. Really delicious, though

There's probably a separate dish of peas or green beans on the table
Old 04-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #164
Head Chef

Quote:
That is not what I think of as a sandwich, but I guess there are sandwiches and there are sandwiches. I can't see Lord Sandwich carrying that with him to eat on his way to battle lol. The meat and gravy look lovely, but I think I would have some veg and potato with it and maybe use a bit of bread to soak up the gravy if necessary.

Gillian
There is a thick slice of bread under the beef. I prefer them with a slice of bread on top too.

I've done it with beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and lamb. If the meat has a good, rich gravy associated with it, it can be a "hot xxxxx" sandwich.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #165
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
There is a thick slice of bread under the beef. I prefer them with a slice of bread on top too.

I've done it with beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and lamb. If the meat has a good, rich gravy associated with it, it can be a "hot xxxxx" sandwich.
Ha...it is still a very odd description of a sandwich....where does it stop, e.g. placing a bit of bread under a banana split = a banana sandwich?
Old 05-30-2016, 12:27 PM   #166
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Here's a picture of a gravy packet made by a local chain of chicken restos, so you can make make a hot chicken sandwich at home that tastes like resto food. In most restos around here (Quebec), if you order "hot chicken", you will get something that looks like this. The peas could be on the side. Does this seem more like a sandwich?

It does look more like a sandwich, but I wouldn't involve the gravy and the peas, unless I was really stuck for something to go with the chicken.

My fellow UKers can correct me if I am wrong, but I think sandwiches here tend to be made with cold meats and sometimes include salad vegetables.

Gillian
Old 05-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #167
Head Chef

Quote:
It does look more like a sandwich, but I wouldn't involve the gravy and the peas, unless I was really stuck for something to go with the chicken.

My fellow UKers can correct me if I am wrong, but I think sandwiches here tend to be made with cold meats and sometimes include salad vegetables.

Gillian
At most good lunch restaurants around here, there are at least as many hot sandwiches as there are cold. In most cases there are more hot than cold, especially if you count hot dogs and hamburgers. They are at least toasted to melt the cheese and blend the good stuff together. When I eat a burger, I usually garnish with cold lettuce, tomato and onion, but it's still essentially a hot sandwich.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #168
Assistant Cook

Like I said, in the UK sandwiches tend to made with cold meats and sometimes salad, although this is changing due to the influence of McDonalds, KFC, Burger King and the like.

Enjoy your sandwiches today, whatever form they come in! I have just had some made with toasted brown bread, spread with avocado pear and filled with slices of red onion.

Gillian
Old 07-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #169
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Like I said, in the UK sandwiches tend to made with cold meats and sometimes salad, although this is changing due to the influence of McDonalds, KFC, Burger King and the like.

Enjoy your sandwiches today, whatever form they come in! I have just had some made with toasted brown bread, spread with avocado pear and filled with slices of red onion.

Gillian
Yum, Yum. Warm with butter melting into it.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #170
Senior Cook

Here in Italy you get sandwiches - panini - in the caffè bars, at the motorway bars, at the airports, and all over Italy now there are 'paninoteche', sandwich shops popping up everywhere in the big cities, the tourist resorts and in the mountain resorts (The North-West boundaries of Italy are all Alpine routes and resorts). Toasted ham and cheese is a big favourite, salami and salad, mozzarella and tomato, Parma ham and salad, cheese and salad porchetta (scrumptious roast suckling pig flavoured with rosemary and garlic, hot straight from the spit, tuna and salad. These are served in Italian flatbread as sandwiches, crusty rolls and piadina, a type of bread similar to Mexican bread for wraps. Sandwiches are ever increasing in popularity and are the only kind of street food you're likely to get here, unless it's things like donuts, cannoli and other types of street food sold at the many travelling fairs that go around Italy during the great winter festivals, especially Carnevale.

Hope that's informative enough!

di reston

Enough is never a as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

"People of ze wurl, relax" - spoken by the wise parrot in Tom Robbins' book Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates

Tags
sandwich