Sandwiches from around the world!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think a BLT would be a good choice because different regions of the country add different ingredients to it to make it their own.

Keeping in mind the USA uses what the UK and Canada call "streaky bacon", I'd agree MsM. The BLT is an American classic..here in the west it would be with Sourdough bread, and maybe avocado for a BLAT. ;) Then you could add red onion for a BLOAT. :ohmy: It's all good.:chef::yum:

I don't think a BLT can trump the ubiquitous nature of the burger. McDonalds, Burger King, In and Out Burgers, Bobs Big Boy, Jack In the Box, Five Guys etc etc etc. they are all national chains famous for burgers, nothing but burgers. Weekend BBQ? We all grill burgers.

Last edited:
I agree. These lists of foods that represent different states or regions never seem to get it right.
Well the sandwiches given cannot constitute a scientific result but are based on some kind of research.

Well the sandwiches given cannot constitute a scientific result but are based on some kind of research.

It looks to me as if a writer at msn.com pitched a feature to their editor:

W: Hey, how about if I pick out pictures of a bunch of yummy-looking sandwiches from around the world and make a slide show of it?

E: Sure, that sounds like a good idea! Go for it!

So I'm guessing it's one individual spending a few hours searching the Internet for "a selection," as the main page says. Maybe s/he passed the list by a few co-workers. Nothing really involved.

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :LOL: Sounds like a fun job!

You are giving the content creator too much credit. The purpose of content like this is to get people's attention and to click through, which generates ad revenue. There aren't any standards for the accuracy of the content.

You are giving the content creator too much credit. The purpose of content like this is to get people's attention and to click through, which generates ad revenue. There aren't any standards for the accuracy of the content.
The link doesn't purport to me more than what it is, i.e. (just) sandwiches from around the world NOT definitive sandwiches but maybe common ones!? Yes?

Close scrutiny can be counter productive and can lose perspective..... anyway the link has been quite favourably received and generated enough interest and feedback so that's all that can be asked of it really! ;)

Last edited:
I also believe there isn't much research done for lists like this. It does promote some lively discussion on foodie forums, doesn't it.

I don't think a BLT can trump the ubiquitous nature of the burger. McDonalds, Burger King, In and Out Burgers, Bobs Big Boy, Jack In the Box, Five Guys etc etc etc. they are all national chains famous for burgers, nothing but burgers. Weekend BBQ? We all grill burgers.

Not to mention Red Robin, and just about every one of hundreds of brew pubs in the country, most of which have a delectable selection of burgers. Applebee's, even Denny's and Village Inn have good burgers. They really are the most ubiquitous sandwich in the US.

You find the PB&J more in the home, but the hamburger eats in and goes out on the town too. :yum:

Keeping in mind the USA uses what the UK and Canada call "streaky bacon", I'd agree MsM. The BLT is an American classic..here in the west it would be with Sourdough bread, and maybe avocado for a BLAT. ;) Then you could add red onion for a BLOAT. :ohmy: It's all good.:chef::yum:
:LOL: I like to add avocado and sprouts to my BLT so I can have a BLAST. :LOL:

I was surprised there were no Danish open-faced sandwiches.

That "Montreal style smoked meat sandwich, Canada" might be what they look like in the rest of Canada, but not in Montreal. If one was served that way in Montreal, we would want to know if the smoked meat cutter is new at the job. Yes, the meat should be cut by hand, but it should be cut a lot thinner than that (and piled a bit higher).

They have muffalettas in Italy? I thought that was a New Orleans specialty. I know it was invented in New Orleans.

Agreed, GG. I'm sure Australia has many more regional faves than the vegemite sandwich, for example. :rolleyes:

As others have said though, this topic has sparked some good conversation.

Last edited:
Whats kind interesting though , is we are looking at it from our point of view. Sure, I live in NY and i can go through a list of sandwiches that be a better representation of NY or even USA. That being said, I have several friends from around the world ( South America, and European Countries) . We , on occasion, send regional foods to each other to try. And all of them have asked me to send Peanut butter and Jelly in the past. ( this goes back a decade or so, when it wasn't as easy to get things on the internet as it is now). So from their point of view, the PBJ is right on .

They have muffalettas in Italy? I thought that was a New Orleans specialty. I know it was invented in New Orleans.
Italian immigrants in New Orleans.

Great sandwich!
:yum:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom