"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 02-19-2016, 08:09 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I used to have the biggest crush on Peggy Lee! Haven't thought about her in decades.
After I finish my favorite sandwich I always look around and say "Is That All There Is?"

Old 02-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

Thank you for the link. This is so creative. I'll try some of them for sure :)

Old 02-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
We have wholewheat pita breads here in UK. Do you in US?
Yes. That actually has a couple more carbs per serving than white.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:42 AM   #34
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yes. That actually has a couple more carbs per serving than white.
Yes I realise that. My thinking is that whole wheat products have lower glycaemic index rating than white bread (which is a refined carbohydrate). I guess it might depend on the reason for going on the low carb diet, e.g. if it was for preventing/combating diabetes or not.

Re. calories though, of course white and wholewheat pita bread are virtually the same.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I'm going to have to try that lettuce wrap burger. The hardest thing about trying to go low carb, and particularly cutting out refined carbs, is giving up hamburgers, which is a staple of my previous eating habits.

I took my wife out for her birthday dinner tonight, and I was just a twitch away from ordering a double cheeseburger... ended up with surf and turf and did eat the breaded, deep fried shrimp, but that was all the carbs I had.

I felt proud of my resistance, but none the less heartbroken over leaving that cheeseburger unloved.
Rick, the plastic sandwich bag trick works well for a home made lettuce wrapped loaded burger. It keeps the messy juices contained pretty well.
I roll the top of the baggie over to make a collar for easier eating and preventing icky hands.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #36
Master Chef

There are other American sandwiches besides PB&J. From New York, Philly and Mass.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #37
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
There are other American sandwiches besides PB&J. From New York, Philly and Mass.
Yes I know. I asked what members here thought would more represent an american sandwich and have got a lot of feedback..... You could scroll back to page 1, specifically from # 8 to view the replies.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #38
Master Chef

Just about my favorite "American sandwich" would be a BLT. I long for one with thick sliced bacon, home grown sliced tomato, only 1 leaf of lettuce on toasted sour dough bread with mayo.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
GG, good thing there's a lot of bread choices for all of us, huh? I can assure you, though, I won't try PB&J on rye bread.
Don't knock it until you've tried it. It's my bread of preference for PB&J, as well as tuna (especially Trader Joe's yellowfin!).
Old 02-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #40
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Just about my favorite "American sandwich" would be a BLT. I long for one with thick sliced bacon, home grown sliced tomato, only 1 leaf of lettuce on toasted sour dough bread with mayo.
That's my kind of sandwich. Toasted sour dough bread is the biz!

We have an
artisan bakery here in UK called Gayle's - a chain store. They do all manner of exotic breads. I always buy their french sourdough bread. It's so good that it has stopped me baking my own bread now - I can't get enough of it!

Tags
sandwich