"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 02-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #41
Master Chef

Yep Creative, I think sourdough bread is my favorite. I'm sure you know what a colorful history it has out west here with the dawn of the gold rush days.
To this day San Francisco Sourdough is world famous.
http://www.sanfrancisco.travel/artic...onvention=true

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Don't knock it until you've tried it. It's my bread of preference for PB&J, as well as tuna (especially Trader Joe's yellowfin!).
I agree completely that rye bread and tuna-something are a match made in taste-bud heaven. At least to MY buds. Trust me, though, when I say I could not find rye bread, peanut butter, and sweet jelly or honey, to work for me. I just have a knack for that kind of thing.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Ha...yes, I thought the same about UK being represented by the chip butty!
But then saw that London gets to be defined by a pork roast roll (far better).

What sandwich do you think better represents US?

Wonder how they decided on what gets shown...
I think every American kid at one time has had a P&B sandwich. Either for lunch at home or in their lunch bag. They don't spoil and are great to take on picnics. Also, tuna fish, egg salad are both staples for the American child's diet.

But for the last decade or longer, the lobster has taken first place. They presented a rather bland rendition of it. Diced celery, onion with mayo and large chunks of lobster served in a New England type hot dog roll. And it is not only in Massachusetts. You will find this delicacy all through N.E. Specially in Maine. But very pricey!!!
Old 02-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think every American kid at one time has had a P&B sandwich. Either for lunch at home or in their lunch bag. They don't spoil and are great to take on picnics. Also, tuna fish, egg salad are both staples for the American child's diet.

But for the last decade or longer, the lobster has taken first place. They presented a rather bland rendition of it. Diced celery, onion with mayo and large chunks of lobster served in a New England type hot dog roll. And it is not only in Massachusetts. You will find this delicacy all through N.E. Specially in Maine. But very pricey!!!
Come now Addie, lobster is not indicative of the majority of the USA Addie!
Are you actually saying that New England kids take lobster roll sandwiches to school??

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Most of the United States is not in the northeast. Several northeast states could fit inside Virginia, not to mention Texas, Nevada and California. A lobster roll is hardly representative of a common sandwich here. As you say, it's a pricey delicacy.

I'd go with the BLT, or a hamburger. You'll find some version of both almost everywhere.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #46
Master Chef

Ditto on the sourdough bread - I love it and it's one of the three breads I always have on hand. As well as for BLT's, it makes a great French toast, too. I also have to have rye for tuna and egg salad sandwiches, and I love it just toasted with eggs in the morning. Another one I have to have is a good whole wheat - my fave for peanut butter and honey. I just LOVE bread and can't imagine going without. Since it's just me here, I have to freeze them and just pull off a few slices when I need them.

Oh and Hoagie rolls - I have them in the freezer too for when I get a craving for a meatball or deli meat sandwich.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:25 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

It was not my choice Kay. It was the choice of the survey. It pointed out that it was the sandwich of Massachusetts. I do not agree with that at all. And of course not. Children do not take lobster sandwiches to school. Too much mayo in it to allow it to remain safe in the heated classroom. At least no child I have ever known. For my choice I would have said P&B to be the sandwich of choice for a child to take to school.

Go back and look at the survey and then read my post again. The whole survey was wrong. Or the title was. Sandwiches around the world? That covered more of the U.S. than the world. This is a huge country. Too large to name just one sandwich to represent all of us.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:03 PM   #48
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Most of the United States is not in the northeast. Several northeast states could fit inside Virginia, not to mention Texas, Nevada and California...

While I have no clue what the relative sizes of different states has to do with the discussion, I agree lobster roll is not the "All American" sandwich. I'm glad we have it here.

My vote would be for the hamburger or hot dog over any others.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:13 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
While I have no clue what the relative sizes of different states has to do with the discussion, I agree lobster roll is not the "All American" sandwich. I'm glad we have it here.
Creative asked which sandwich was more representative of the United States. Addie said the lobster roll because it's popular throughout New England. My point is that New England is such a small portion of the entire United States that it doesn't really represent the whole. I illustrated that by saying that New England (an entire region) could fit inside any one of several states.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It was not my choice Kay. It was the choice of the survey.
The sandwiches in the article were not listed in any particular order and it didn't say the lobster roll has taken first place. You did.

Quote:

Tags
sandwich