Sandwiches from around the world!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, larry, a sandwich shop that is all peanut butter variations? Pretty cool.

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a PB&J on a menu.
Cleveland has a mini-chain of grilled sandwiches shops, Melt Bar and Grilled. (GG, didn't you stop at one on your way up to MI one time?) They actually have an offering on their regular menu that features peanut butter and cream cheese, along with caramelized bananas and candied peanuts, with preserves for dipping. I thought it sounded interesting.

Cleveland has a mini-chain of grilled sandwiches shops, Melt Bar and Grilled. (GG, didn't you stop at one on your way up to MI one time?) They actually have an offering on their regular menu that features peanut butter and cream cheese, along with caramelized bananas and candied peanuts, with preserves for dipping. I thought it sounded interesting.

We did! DH had it in mind to stop somewhere that had been on "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" with Guy Fieri. I had an incredible grilled shrimp sandwich with caramelized onions and a light cheese - something like Havarti, I think. It was their monthly special at the time. So good :yum:

I've seen peanut butter and jelly on children's menus, too. And I've seen variations of Elvis' favorite, peanut butter and honey with bananas :LOL:

Last edited:
I quite like the peanut and jelly combo but vary it.

It's good on malt bread with banana too! I like crunchy peanut butter and either redcurrant jelly or cranberry sauce also goes well.

We did! DH had it in mind to stop somewhere that had been on "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" with Guy Fieri. I had an incredible grilled shrimp sandwich with caramelized onions and a light cheese - something like Havarti, I think. It was their monthly special at the time. So good :yum:

I couldn't stop thinking about it. This is what I had, including the watermelon margarita ;)

Attachments

• Melt Bar and Grilled shrimp sandwich menu.jpg
    Melt Bar and Grilled shrimp sandwich menu.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Melt Bar and Grilled shrimp sandwich.jpg
    Melt Bar and Grilled shrimp sandwich.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 156
You all have me thinking of PB&J. I like crunchy PB best. TJ's crunchy with chia seeds and roasted flax seeds has no sugar in it is wonderful or Peter Pan are my favorites. On Wonder bread lol. I like to sprinkle the PB with cinnamon then Smuckers strawberry preserves. A variation I like is a PBJ&F Club - PB&J sandwich then on the top of the top slice fluff marshmallow spread then another slice of bread. Then there is FlufferNutter. And a fav is cream cheese and jelly. :angel:

I love TJ's peanut butter too. I don't have any right now, so Jif has to do. I love it on dense whole wheat, a spread of good honey, and a tall glass of cold milk. :yum:

Every now and then I'll get TJ's sunflower seed butter - it's sooo good IMO, and a nice change from peanut butter.

Attachments

• 014-2.jpg
    014-2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 162
Peanut butter is one of the easiest things to make at home if you have a blender or food processor. I guess this is common knowledge? Plus, that way you get to avoid the palm oil (which many brands are made with) and can monitor the salt and sugar content. Hey, even add melted chocolate!

I love TJ's peanut butter too. I don't have any right now, so Jif has to do. I love it on dense whole wheat, a spread of good honey, and a tall glass of cold milk. :yum:

Every now and then I'll get TJ's sunflower seed butter - it's sooo good IMO, and a nice change from peanut butter.
I haven't tried this recipe for sunflower seed butter but it claims to be better than 'anything you'd purchase!' (unless you like the evaporated cane juice it contains more in the TJ brand)

Homemade Sunflower Seed Butter, Extra Creamy

Last edited:
Never tried sunflower butter.

This is the TJ PB I like.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 123
I am thinking of making hazelnut butter....maybe adding melted chocolate - home made Nutella
- without the palm oil! ;)

Thanks for the link to homemade sunflower seed butter, creative. I'll pass that on to my daughter - she has a family of 5 and would be more inclined to use it up than I would with just me.

MsM, I just added the TJ's peanut butter with flax and chia to my list. :)

Never tried sunflower butter.

This is the TJ PB I like.

Thanks for the link to homemade sunflower seed butter, creative. I'll pass that on to my daughter - she has a family of 5 and would be more inclined to use it up than I would with just me.

MsM, I just added the TJ's peanut butter with flax and chia to my list. :)

I LOVE the disclaimer on the Trader Joe site

Trader Joe’s Crunchy Salted Peanut Butter with Flax and Chia Seeds. It’ll only cost you $2.99 for the 16-ounce jar. We’ve yet to put a price on the nutritional benefits, but that would probably mean it would be too expensive to sell in our stores.

NOTE: Since posting, the details of this item may have changed due to fluctuating market prices, federal regulations, currency rates, drought, pestilence, bandits, rush hour traffic, filibusters, clowns, zombie apocalypse, punctilious product developers... Contact our Crew for current price and availability.

Ingredients

Roasted Peanuts, Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds, Sea Salt. CONTAINS PEANUTS.

Crunchy Salted Peanut Butter with Flax and Chia Seeds | Trader Joe's

Ha...some people dislike peanut butter because it can stick to the roof of your mouth. It looks fairly tame in this respect compared to tahini though!!
rolleyespink.gif

I agree with you, Creative, that the chip butty was a poor choice for the UK. Could they not have jizzed it up a bit? The London offering was definitely better, but I hadn't heard of a pork roast roll as a sandwich filling before.

Someone mentioned Jif as an alternative to peanut butter, or was it jelly? Anyway, that was the name of a cleaning product here, until EU rules changed it to Cif! Actually, I think it's also a lemon juice thing.

There was also mention of sourdough bread. I've never seen that, apart from the gluten free version which my coeliac daughter loves. Unfortunately it has been discontinued at the supermarket where we used to get it.

I can't do with the American way of cooking burgers, placing them between two roll halves and calling that a sandwich. To me, a sandwich is a cold filling between two slices of whatever and is supposed to be a quick and handy snack. Wasn't it named after Lord Sandwich who wanted something quick to eat and didn't have a lot of time to wait for it, so he was given some meat between two slices of bread?

I remember living in a YW hostel in my first two years at university in the late sixties and how a lot of the girls there would make everything they were served up with into a sandwich, no matter what it was. The results were weird sometimes, but to each their own lol.

Gillian

I agree with you, Creative, that the chip butty was a poor choice for the UK. Could they not have jizzed it up a bit? The London offering was definitely better, but I hadn't heard of a pork roast roll as a sandwich filling before.

Someone mentioned Jif as an alternative to peanut butter, or was it jelly? Anyway, that was the name of a cleaning product here, until EU rules changed it to Cif! Actually, I think it's also a lemon juice thing.

There was also mention of sourdough bread. I've never seen that, apart from the gluten free version which my coeliac daughter loves. Unfortunately it has been discontinued at the supermarket where we used to get it.

I can't do with the American way of cooking burgers, placing them between two roll halves and calling that a sandwich. To me, a sandwich is a cold filling between two slices of whatever and is supposed to be a quick and handy snack. Wasn't it named after Lord Sandwich who wanted something quick to eat and didn't have a lot of time to wait for it, so he was given some meat between two slices of bread?

I remember living in a YW hostel in my first two years at university in the late sixties and how a lot of the girls there would make everything they were served up with into a sandwich, no matter what it was. The results were weird sometimes, but to each their own lol.

Gillian
You have never had a hot roast beef and gravy, hot turkey and gravy, a hot French dip, a hot fish sandwich, a grilled cheese etc

You have never had a hot roast beef and gravy, hot turkey and gravy, a hot French dip, a hot fish sandwich, a grilled cheese etc
I am about to have my first hot roast beef and gravy 'dip and flip' roll tomorrow at a new place! Looking forward to it....it looks delish! ;)

Back
Top Bottom