"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 02-20-2016, 01:24 AM   #51
Master Chef

Oh no you can't put it on anyone but you Addie, you need to carefully read again what you said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think every American kid at one time has had a P&B sandwich. Either for lunch at home or in their lunch bag. They don't spoil and are great to take on picnics. Also, tuna fish, egg salad are both staples for the American child's diet.

But for the last decade or longer, the lobster has taken first place. They presented a rather bland rendition of it. Diced celery, onion with mayo and large chunks of lobster served in a New England type hot dog roll. And it is not only in Massachusetts. You will find this delicacy all through N.E. Specially in Maine. But very pricey!!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:34 AM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
It was not my choice Kay. It was the choice of the survey...
If you're referring to the slideshow in the delicious-looking link that creative shared, it wasn't a survey, but a display of the different sandwiches that are popular in certain countries, or sections of a country. Just an article written for general information. New York got a hoagie, while the U.S. was mentioned as PB&J sandwiches being popular. Since New England is known for their lobsters, they decided to associate that sandwich with the region.

Seeing as all of Europe is only 25% larger than the "lower 48", I would think that each cuisine region in this huge country could claim ownership of a special sandwich. After all, along The North Coast, lobster rolls would definitely take a back seat to a good, old-fashioned, Lake Erie Perch sandwich. *groan* You can have your lobster and clams. I love me some lake perch, although I've always been a fan of shrimp and crab. Of course I'd love crab - my zodiac sign is Cancer.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:37 AM   #53
Head Chef

Quote:
Go back and look at the survey and then read my post again. The whole survey was wrong. Or the title was. Sandwiches around the world? That covered more of the U.S. than the world. This is a huge country. Too large to name just one sandwich to represent all of us.
Well I just copied the title given! Many seem pleased with it and it does cover quite a few countries. I do agree though that US was somewhat robbed! After all, the UK had 2 sandwiches representing it (i.e. one just for London).
Old 02-20-2016, 05:54 AM   #54
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Most of the United States is not in the northeast.
It's not?

This Map Shows How New Yorkers View The Rest Of The United States
Old 02-20-2016, 06:09 AM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
That seems about right

(Just clarifying that my comment was just a sarcastic joke, so this doesn't turn into a hate thread )
Old 02-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
While I have no clue what the relative sizes of different states has to do with the discussion, I agree lobster roll is not the "All American" sandwich. I'm glad we have it here.
My vote would be for the hamburger or hot dog over any others.
So am I Andy. But once again this thread has turned into an "Let's attack Addie." That's okay. My skin is thick. Go to it folks!
Old 02-20-2016, 04:08 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
So am I Andy. But once again this thread has turned into an "Let's attack Addie." That's okay. My skin is thick. Go to it folks!
This is what I meant. I guess you missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Creative asked which sandwich was more representative of the United States. Addie said the lobster roll because it's popular throughout New England. My point is that New England is such a small portion of the entire United States that it doesn't really represent the whole. I illustrated that by saying that New England (an entire region) could fit inside any one of several states.
Correcting you is not attacking you. There's a vast difference. Too bad you can't see it.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #58
Head Chef

Lightbulb

"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission" (Eleanor Roosevelt)

- to be read whilst munching on a BLT! (Keeping it on track...slightly!)

I don't have a victim's mentality.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission" (Eleanor Roosevelt)

- to be read whilst munching on a BLT! (Keeping it on track...slightly!)

I don't have a victim's mentality.
Great quote!!!

Some think that Eleanor would have preferred a hot dog!

https://recipereminiscing.wordpress....rite-sandwich/
Old 02-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #60
Master Chef

I think a BLT would be a good choice because different regions of the country add different ingredients to it to make it their own.

Tags
sandwich