Sandwiches from around the world!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Curious .....

I just googled 'Dip & Flip' and it doesn't look like either a hot beef sandwich OR a French dip. It's some kind of double-decker hamburger with roast beef and cheese sauce on a hamburger bun with a side of jus to dip it in. I think it's one of those over-the-top mashups that someone builds just to garner attention. Nothing I'd try.

For the Brits.....

......a hot beef sandwich is thinly sliced roast beef, piled high on a slice of white bread, topped with rich gravy, and eaten with a knife and fork. Sometimes the sandwich is topped with a second slice of bread before covering in the gravy.

This type of sandwich is also often made with sliced turkey after our Thanksgiving holiday.

.......a French dip is thinly sliced roast beef on a toasted roll, served with a side of warn 'au jus' to dip the sandwich. Sometimes you will find sauteed onions or a slice of melted Swiss cheese on a French dip.

Curious .....

I just googled 'Dip & Flip' and it doesn't look like either a hot beef sandwich OR a French dip. It's some kind of double-decker hamburger with roast beef and cheese sauce on a hamburger bun with a side of jus to dip it in. I think it's one of those over-the-top mashups that someone builds just to garner attention. Nothing I'd try.

For the Brits.....

......a hot beef sandwich is thinly sliced roast beef, piled high on a slice of white bread, topped with rich gravy, and eaten with a knife and fork. Sometimes the sandwich is topped with a second slice of bread before covering in the gravy.

This type of sandwich is also often made with sliced turkey after our Thanksgiving holiday.

.......a French dip is thinly sliced roast beef on a toasted roll, served with a side of warn 'au jus' to dip the sandwich. Sometimes you will find sauteed onions or a slice of melted Swiss cheese on a French dip.

Oh, yeah, just looked it up. That doesn't look very appetizing to me, either. Way too much.

That sounds more like a French dip than an open-faced roast beef sandwich.
Yes...seems so (from Silversage's description) and am glad it is so!

The gravy/jus is a bone broth and sounds very rich and savoury.

Last edited:
Curious .....

For the Brits.....

Thanks for your description. Yes - pretty sure it's a french dip but am pleased about that! ;)

http://dipandflip.co.uk/

Last edited:
For the Brits.....

Also made with roast pork. I always preferred a hot pork sandwich, but that's just me.

Hot beef is really good too, and served at Bully's Pub and Grub just 4 blocks from the house. Made with left over prime rib from their weekly Saturday Night special, with beef gravy and mashed potatoes. :yum:

Last edited:
Also made with roast pork. I always preferred a hot pork sandwich, but that's just me.

Hot beef is really good too, and served at Bully's Pub and Grub just 4 blocks from the house. Made with left over prime rib from their weekly Saturday Night special, with beef gravy and mashed potatoes. :yum:
As you can see, from the original link in my OP, in London we have pork roast roll. Traditionally it comes from a suckling pig turned on a spit. The roll has the pork, stuffing (not that great), apple sauce if you want it and crackling (frequently the best part, for me!)

That's not what we know as a French dip. The one we have is thinly sliced roast beef in a roll with jus for dipping. No beef patty, cheese, lettuce, etc.
Oh well...I am not hung up on the name...my point being it looks delicious! It seems to be a new variation then, by all accounts.

Fasten your seatbelts.... (America is mentioned towards the end).

Iconic Sandwiches of the World, from Banh Mi to Zapiekanka - Bon Appétit

hides.gif

No biggie. Just don't call it a French dip, since it's not ;) Hope you enjoy it.
Ha...well YOU called it a french dip yourself (previous page) # 101 :wacko:

(You later take this back). As this is new to me, I have no way of assessing the situation but it would seem to be a variation on a theme.

Last edited:
Ha...well YOU called it a french dip yourself (previous page) # 101 :wacko:

(You later take this back). As this is new to me, I have no way of assessing the situation but it would seem to be a variation on a theme.

That hostile attitude is unnecessary. I said it *sounded more like* a French dip. Then SilverSage found out what it really was and I agreed with her that it was something altogether different.

It's not so much a variation on a theme (which would be adding one or two ingredients) as it is combining two different sandwiches (a cheeseburger and a French dip).

Well I went to the dip and flip place - first time.

Dip & Flip

I asked if it was a French dip and they said yes, i.e. that it is a beef roll dipped in the gravy. I am done with the label debate (bit boring).

Anyway, WHAT a disappointment! Looked nothing like that enticing photo (in the link here). What I got was 2 elongated scabby rolls with wafer thin beef (could see through gaps in the long meat fibres) with the coleslaw and, yes, has to be said - the main attraction/winning part was the gravy!

I say scabby rolls because the crust looked like scabs, i.e. not a continuous crust...quite offputting and the bread seemed a bit stale but maybe deliberately so to soak in the gravy. The beef was the major let down...chewy/tough. We are used to good roast beef here in UK so the low quality was quite shocking to me. It felt like brisket had been roasted (of course this is a joint that requires long, slow cooking) and had been thinly sliced in the hope of redeeming its texture....not! Had it not been for the gravy (which was really good), I would have left it/asked for a refund. As it is I will be making a complaint since I feel it is a breach of trades description.

Last edited:
Well I went to the dip and flip place - first time.

Dip & Flip

I asked if it was a French dip and they said yes, i.e. that it is a beef roll dipped in the gravy. I am done with the label debate (bit boring).

Anyway, WHAT a disappointment! Looked nothing like that enticing photo (in the link here). What I got was 2 elongated scabby rolls with wafer thin beef (could see through gaps in the long meat fibres) with the coleslaw and, yes, has to be said - the main attraction/winning part was the gravy!

I say scabby rolls because the crust looked like scabs, i.e. not a continuous crust...quite offputting and the bread seemed a bit stale but maybe deliberately so to soak in the gravy. The beef was the major let down...chewy/tough. We are used to good roast beef here in UK so the low quality was quite shocking to me. It felt like brisket had been roasted (of course this is a joint that requires long, slow cooking) and had been thinly sliced in the hope of redeeming its texture....not! Had it not been for the gravy (which was really good), I would have left it/asked for a refund. As it is I will be making a complaint since I feel it is a breach of trades description.
There seems to be THREE sandwiches on the top row on that link page -
1) Dip - which seems like a French dip
2) Flip - which seems like a cheeseburger
3) Dip & Flip - which is a combo of both 1 & 2

I would stick with #1 OR #2 NOT #3!!
I think this subject has been beaten long enough. JMO :angel:

There seems to be THREE sandwiches on the top row on that link page -
1) Dip - which seems like a French dip
2) Flip - which seems like a cheeseburger
3) Dip & Flip - which is a combo of both 1 & 2

I would stick with #1 OR #2 NOT #3!!
I think this subject has been beaten long enough. JMO :angel:

+1...

Is it really just what it looks like in the photo? Just chips and ketchup on a roll? I can sort of see why they just treated it as kind of a joke. Talk about a carb bomb. :blink:
Actually it is nicer than it appears. It has to be butter on the bread or roll (to be authentic) and this melts really nicely into the hot chips - kind of like a variation of mash with butter.

Yes it is a lot of carbs but potatoes are my fav carb. (Not that I can even remember the last time I had this chip butty).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom