Sandwiches from around the world!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd try anything on that new list except the french fry sandwich. :ermm:
"England: Chip Butty
There’s no better testament to the general blandness of English food than this sandwich: a bunch of french fries between two pieces of bread. Bravo, guys."

Last edited:
I'd try anything on that new list except the french fry sandwich. :ermm:
"England: Chip Butty
There’s no better testament to the general blandness of English food than this sandwich: a bunch of french fries between two pieces of bread. Bravo, guys."
Ha...well so much for misrepresentation. A true Brit chip butty would be with thicker chips, not slender french fries! They melt so much better into the butter. Don't knock it till you've tried it I say!

It's called a chip butty not a french fry sandwich for a reason!

However, you are on a low carb diet anyway I believe Kayelle, yes?

Shame we didn't get our other sandwich represented here (as in the OP), namely a roast pork roll. Nothing bland about that whatsoever.
color.gif

Last edited:
Yep, I'm on low carbs right now but I sure remember what they taste like, and it wouldn't kill me to eat a sandwich. Even if I was still eating carbs, I'd never eat a potato sandwich unless I had no choice.

Yep, I'm on low carbs right now but I sure remember what they taste like, and it wouldn't kill me to eat a sandwich. Even if I was still eating carbs, I'd never eat a potato sandwich unless I had no choice.
My Scottish ex-dh ate chip butties, crisp butties (potato chips) and never used ketchup on them, just butter.

I've been known to eat a cold, boiled potato sandwich with mayo or bacon fat, and maybe some chives, no butter. :yum: Especially good open-faced, on heavy, Danish rye bread.

I would give the chip butty a try.

I'm curious about how the chip butty originated, the amount of carbs make me think it came out of hard times.

Reminds me of the American cold baked bean sandwiches on white bread with a little raw onion and ketchup. My grandmother got us hooked on those when we were kids. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

My Scottish ex-dh ate chip butties, crisp butties (potato chips) and never used ketchup on them, just butter.

I've been known to eat a cold, boiled potato sandwich with mayo or bacon fat, and maybe some chives, no butter. :yum: Especially good open-faced, on heavy, Danish rye bread.
Yes that's right...the ketchup is a bit of an add-on!

Agreed. Hot beef and hot pork sandwiches like that (well, not quite like that one) were some of my favorite foods growing up. Potatoes, gravy, meat, bread.... what more could a growing boy ask for?

That's what I thought too, but they are delish and it's gravy on, not in. We often have "hot chicken sandwiches" when we have leftover chicken.
How does the gravy stay ON the bread without sinking into it?

Open faced hot turkey, or hot beef sandwiches are on nearly every diner menu in the USA. Like GG said, you need a knife and fork to eat one, unlike a hamburger.
That reminds me, the last time we were in the UK we took the train from London out to Windsor Castle. At a village restaurant we ordered what was listed on the menu as an "American Hamburger" and it was pretty darn good. We were fascinated by a couple of proper British ladies at the next table eating the same loaded burger with forks and knives, which never left their hands. :ROFLMAO:
Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

Last edited:
Kay, my Aunt would eat most of her sandwiches that way. I think it started when she got her dentures and was afraid to bite into sandwiches. Never got over that fear, I guess. Or maybe because she was a perfect "lady". Tried darned hard to make me into one, too, but just like my Mom, I managed to escape her powers! :LOL:

Wow so many different types of sandwiches.
Some of them are close to what other countries have also.
Thanks for sharing this link with us.

Kay, my Aunt would eat most of her sandwiches that way. I think it started when she got her dentures and was afraid to bite into sandwiches. Never got over that fear, I guess. Or maybe because she was a perfect "lady". Tried darned hard to make me into one, too, but just like my Mom, I managed to escape her powers! :LOL:

Interesting CG! I wonder if both the proper British ladies had dentures? They had an eye on us too, eating "American Burgers" animal style. No doubt we were Americans. We all had a terrible time minding our manners without eye rolling. :rolleyes:
Who eats an "American Burger" with a knife and fork?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom