Sandwiches from around the world!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is supposed to sink into the bread. This isn't a sandwich you pick up to eat. Oh, and the gravy goes on top of the meat, there's only one slice of bread.
I see so it's a loose definition of what a sandwich is then...kind of deconstructed?

I prefer gravy sinking into mash!

Interesting CG! I wonder if both the proper British ladies had dentures? They had an eye on us too, eating "American Burgers" animal style. No doubt we were Americans. We all had a terrible time minding our manners without eye rolling. :rolleyes:
Who eats an "American Burger" with a knife and fork?

Our Danish exchange student did :LOL: My sister, who was 11 or 12 at the time, was amazed.

It is supposed to sink into the bread. This isn't a sandwich you pick up to eat. Oh, and the gravy goes on top of the meat, there's only one slice of bread.

I see so it's a loose definition of what a sandwich is then...kind of deconstructed?

I prefer gravy sinking into mash!

I've had them with bread top and bottom, with mashed potatoes on the plate between the two halves of the sandwich (or sometimes the sandwich is quartered with the potatoes centered on the plate), then gravy ladled over the whole thing. :yum:

I've had them with bread top and bottom, with mashed potatoes on the plate between the two halves of the sandwich (or sometimes the sandwich is quartered with the potatoes centered on the plate), then gravy ladled over the whole thing. :yum:

Right. The ingredients are the important thing, not the presentation.

Mash AND bread!? :ohmy: Getting close to the carbo overload of our chip butty!
dontlaugh.gif

The meat and gravy do look delish though (I would have it without the bread). Given that you are not eating it like a sandwich, what does having the bread there add, at all?

No, it's open-faced. There's plenty of gravy for both! :yum:

I've always had it with two pieces of bread.
I call that two sandwiches. :-p

Our Danish exchange student did :LOL: My sister, who was 11 or 12 at the time, was amazed.
That was probably a while ago. They have McDonald's now and have gotten used to hamburgers. They still eat their own open-faced sandwiches with a knife and fork.

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember having seen them served with two pieces of bread in some restos, with peas on the side.

dontlaugh.gif

The meat and gravy do look delish though (I would have it without the bread). Given that you are not eating it like a sandwich, what does having the bread there add, at all?

Clearly you're not getting it, so if I were you, I would just stop worrying about it :rolleyes: It's a fond memory of comfort food that many Americans share.

dontlaugh.gif

To me they are not much different than roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, another way to make a small amount of meat serve the multitudes.

“Them 'at eats t'most pudding gets t'most meat” :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think they became popular in this country during the great depression. A combination of poverty and the introduction of the automatic bread slicer in 1932.

Clearly you're not getting it, so if I were you, I would just stop worrying about it :rolleyes: It's a fond memory of comfort food that many Americans share.
Huh? Who's worried?
dontknow.gif

Clearly you're not getting that I just sought clarity so, if I were you, I would refrain from telling me what to do.
:rolleyes: I am quite capable of making my own decisions...I am all grown up now!
icon_lol.gif

Breaking news...I have now understood! :)
331509.gif
party.gif

Last edited:
I've also made hot pork or beef with toasted bread to retain a bit more texture with the gravy.

And for Creative, I don't always have potatoes with it although that's normal in most diners. Sometimes I just do just peas or green beans on the side, but close enough to get some gravy with each bite.

It's really depressing talking about comfort foods like this when I'm low carbing. :(

I've also made hot pork or beef with toasted bread to retain a bit more texture with the gravy.

And for Creative, I don't always have potatoes with it although that's normal in most diners. Sometimes I just do just peas or green beans on the side, but close enough to get some gravy with each bite.

It's really depressing talking about comfort foods like this when I'm low carbing. :(
Toasted bread does sound a lot better.

Are all your comfort foods carb-based? I find a good chicken soup or just bananas and custard can hit the spot.

Toasted bread does sound a lot better.

Are all your comfort foods carb-based? I find a good chicken soup or just bananas and custard can hit the spot.

I think comfort food is in the eye of the beholder. I love a good chicken soup too. Tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich.

Creative, if you ever get a chance to eat at an American diner, definitely order the roast beef sandwich! Yeah, carb overload, but oh so good!

Huh? Who's worried?
dontknow.gif

Clearly you're not getting that I just sought clarity so, if I were you, I would refrain from telling me what to do.
:rolleyes: I am quite capable of making my own decisions...I am all grown up now!
icon_lol.gif

Breaking news...I have now understood! :)
331509.gif
party.gif

Well, you keep going on and on about it; it seems like you're pretty concerned. I would have thought two or three answers would provide enough clarity, but apparently not. It's really a simple dish: Leftover roast beef on bread with gravy and usually mashed potatoes.

Good thing you're not me ;)

Thrilled that you finally understand :clap:

I think comfort food is in the eye of the beholder. I love a good chicken soup too. Tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich.

Creative, if you ever get a chance to eat at an American diner, definitely order the roast beef sandwich! Yeah, carb overload, but oh so good!
There is so much I love about American food! We get a TV programme that shows good US diners/takeaways and I drool with envy! Gastronomic paradise. :yum:

Well I like these kind of HOT roast beef and gravy OR HOT turkey and gravy sandwiches ON/IN a long roll. No mashed potatoes are served with these. Just a nice roll to soak up the gravy.

And how about a hot corned beef or hot pastrami sandwich?

Attachments

• hot-roast-beef-sandwiches-large-25336.jpg
    hot-roast-beef-sandwiches-large-25336.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Don't knock it till you've tried it! It's incredibly good :yum: :yum: :yum: Of course, you'll need a knife and fork to eat it ;)

o.jpg

That is not what I think of as a sandwich, but I guess there are sandwiches and there are sandwiches. I can't see Lord Sandwich carrying that with him to eat on his way to battle lol. The meat and gravy look lovely, but I think I would have some veg and potato with it and maybe use a bit of bread to soak up the gravy if necessary.

Gillian

That is not what I think of as a sandwich, but I guess there are sandwiches and there are sandwiches. I can't see Lord Sandwich carrying that with him to eat on his way to battle lol. The meat and gravy look lovely, but I think I would have some veg and potato with it and maybe use a bit of bread to soak up the gravy if necessary.

Gillian
Here's a picture of a gravy packet made by a local chain of chicken restos, so you can make make a hot chicken sandwich at home that tastes like resto food. In most restos around here (Quebec), if you order "hot chicken", you will get something that looks like this. The peas could be on the side. Does this seem more like a sandwich?

sauce-hot-chicken-sandwich-hot-chicken-sandwich-066701000022.png

Back
Top Bottom