Sandwiches from around the world!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just have to respond to CG's mention above of a peanut butter sandwich on a good whole wheat bread with crust...YES! :LOL: I'll happily have one of those with a spread of good honey instead of jelly any day. :yum:

I love a good PB&J with strawberry jam, but imo, wheat bread clashes with it ;)

j/k, I'm not a fan of wheat bread.

Fortunately, Carl's Jr. offers just that. The call it lo carb, and it is a burger with the toppings wrapped in a leaf of iceberg lettuce. Kayelle then slides it into a sandwich bag to hold it together

Yep, I've been using that trick from the start CG. The problem with a lettuce wrap sandwich is lettuce doesn't absorb the yummy juices of a bread sandwich. They're just too messy to eat in public. :rolleyes:

Then I guess you'll just have to eat them that way only at home, Kayelle. :chef:

...I'll happily have one of those with a spread of good honey instead of jelly any day. :yum:
I make mine with honey sometimes, too, Cheryl! It was extra yummy when still had some small-batch lavender honey from a small apiary in the way-western fringes of Cleveland. Sadly, I will probably never be able to remember who or where they were again.

GG, good thing there's a lot of bread choices for all of us, huh? I can assure you, though, I won't try PB&J on rye bread. ;) And I can tell you from experience that it really isn't good on sourdough. When you really want a PB&J and that's the only choice you have, you go with the flow. Once. :glare: Only once.

There are some really tasty looking sandwiches in that article, creative. My eyes thank you, but my tummy is now on a mission to make me eat. That peanut butter and jelly sammie just wouldn't do it justice right now. And for heaven's sakes, make it on honey whole wheat bread and leave the yummy crust on! I know one thing for sure, though. Our daughter would love a chip butty! Her ideal supper is french fries as a side to a baked potato! As far as three slices of bread in a club sandwich? Whenever I've seen those, it looks like they are made out of thinner slices of bread. Maybe those three add up to two normal slices? I wouldn't know - my mouth isn't big enough to try one. :whistling:

If I had to pick the quintessential U.S. sandwich, my choice would the a hamburger. Even though they might be dressed up differently from region to region, in the end they all are pretty much a ground beef patty between two halves of a sandwich bun as the basic.

Put your meat, cheese, and toppings between two sturdy pieces of romaine lettuce. When I want a sandwich but not the bread, I take two large leaves, fold each one tip-to-base to double them up and square them off, then make my sandwich. If you want condiments, I recommend you smear them between the slices of meat or cheese because they just don't adhere to the lettuce like they would on bread. NOT a real sandwich, but still danged good.

Now wrapping in lettuce would really put the death knell on a PB&J. :yuk: Low carb isn't really possible with that one.

Funny, RP. You're right - completely undoable. But it would work with something like cold roast beef or turkey, cheese, tomato, and a schmear of something dressing-like. But NOT PB&J! :LOL:

I'm going to have to try that lettuce wrap burger. The hardest thing about trying to go low carb, and particularly cutting out refined carbs, is giving up hamburgers, which is a staple of my previous eating habits.

I took my wife out for her birthday dinner tonight, and I was just a twitch away from ordering a double cheeseburger... ended up with surf and turf and did eat the breaded, deep fried shrimp, but that was all the carbs I had.

I felt proud of my resistance, but none the less heartbroken over leaving that cheeseburger unloved. :(

I miss PB&J made with Smucker's natural peanut butter and Smucker's strawberry preserves on Roman Meal bread!

I also used to like it on a big fat toasted onion roll with a couple slices of crispy bacon tucked into it. :pig:

In for a penny, in for a pound! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Pita bread has more than twice the carbs of white bread. It's basically white bread with the air squished out, but it ends up being thicker.
We have wholewheat pita breads here in UK. Do you in US?

Yes. That actually has a couple more carbs per serving than white.
Yes I realise that. My thinking is that whole wheat products have lower glycaemic index rating than white bread (which is a refined carbohydrate). I guess it might depend on the reason for going on the low carb diet, e.g. if it was for preventing/combating diabetes or not.

Re. calories though, of course white and wholewheat pita bread are virtually the same.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to try that lettuce wrap burger. The hardest thing about trying to go low carb, and particularly cutting out refined carbs, is giving up hamburgers, which is a staple of my previous eating habits.

I took my wife out for her birthday dinner tonight, and I was just a twitch away from ordering a double cheeseburger... ended up with surf and turf and did eat the breaded, deep fried shrimp, but that was all the carbs I had.

I felt proud of my resistance, but none the less heartbroken over leaving that cheeseburger unloved. :(

Rick, the plastic sandwich bag trick works well for a home made lettuce wrapped loaded burger. It keeps the messy juices contained pretty well.
I roll the top of the baggie over to make a collar for easier eating and preventing icky hands.

Last edited:
There are other American sandwiches besides PB&J. From New York, Philly and Mass.

There are other American sandwiches besides PB&J. From New York, Philly and Mass.
Yes I know. I asked what members here thought would more represent an american sandwich and have got a lot of feedback..... You could scroll back to page 1, specifically from # 8 to view the replies.

Last edited:
Just about my favorite "American sandwich" would be a BLT. I long for one with thick sliced bacon, home grown sliced tomato, only 1 leaf of lettuce on toasted sour dough bread with mayo.

Just about my favorite "American sandwich" would be a BLT. I long for one with thick sliced bacon, home grown sliced tomato, only 1 leaf of lettuce on toasted sour dough bread with mayo.
That's my kind of sandwich. Toasted sour dough bread is the biz! :cool:

We have an
artisan bakery here in UK called Gayle's - a chain store. They do all manner of exotic breads. I always buy their french sourdough bread. It's so good that it has stopped me baking my own bread now - I can't get enough of it! :yum:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom