Sandwiches from around the world!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't knock it until you've tried it. It's my bread of preference for PB&J, as well as tuna (especially Trader Joe's yellowfin!).
I agree completely that rye bread and tuna-something are a match made in taste-bud heaven. At least to MY buds. Trust me, though, when I say I could not find rye bread, peanut butter, and sweet jelly or honey, to work for me. I just have a knack for that kind of thing. ;)

Ha...yes, I thought the same about UK being represented by the chip butty! :ohmy:
But then saw that London gets to be defined by a pork roast roll (far better).

What sandwich do you think better represents US?

Wonder how they decided on what gets shown...
eusa_think.gif

I think every American kid at one time has had a P&B sandwich. Either for lunch at home or in their lunch bag. They don't spoil and are great to take on picnics. Also, tuna fish, egg salad are both staples for the American child's diet.

But for the last decade or longer, the lobster has taken first place. They presented a rather bland rendition of it. Diced celery, onion with mayo and large chunks of lobster served in a New England type hot dog roll. And it is not only in Massachusetts. You will find this delicacy all through N.E. Specially in Maine. But very pricey!!! :angel:

I think every American kid at one time has had a P&B sandwich. Either for lunch at home or in their lunch bag. They don't spoil and are great to take on picnics. Also, tuna fish, egg salad are both staples for the American child's diet.

But for the last decade or longer, the lobster has taken first place. They presented a rather bland rendition of it. Diced celery, onion with mayo and large chunks of lobster served in a New England type hot dog roll. And it is not only in Massachusetts. You will find this delicacy all through N.E. Specially in Maine. But very pricey!!! :angel:

Come now Addie, lobster is not indicative of the majority of the USA Addie!
Are you actually saying that New England kids take lobster roll sandwiches to school??

Most of the United States is not in the northeast. Several northeast states could fit inside Virginia, not to mention Texas, Nevada and California. A lobster roll is hardly representative of a common sandwich here. As you say, it's a pricey delicacy.

I'd go with the BLT, or a hamburger. You'll find some version of both almost everywhere.

Last edited:
Ditto on the sourdough bread - I love it and it's one of the three breads I always have on hand. As well as for BLT's, it makes a great French toast, too. :yum: I also have to have rye for tuna and egg salad sandwiches, and I love it just toasted with eggs in the morning. Another one I have to have is a good whole wheat - my fave for peanut butter and honey. I just LOVE bread and can't imagine going without. Since it's just me here, I have to freeze them and just pull off a few slices when I need them.

Oh and Hoagie rolls - I have them in the freezer too for when I get a craving for a meatball or deli meat sandwich.

It was not my choice Kay. It was the choice of the survey. It pointed out that it was the sandwich of Massachusetts. I do not agree with that at all. And of course not. Children do not take lobster sandwiches to school. Too much mayo in it to allow it to remain safe in the heated classroom. At least no child I have ever known. For my choice I would have said P&B to be the sandwich of choice for a child to take to school.

Go back and look at the survey and then read my post again. The whole survey was wrong. Or the title was. Sandwiches around the world? That covered more of the U.S. than the world. This is a huge country. Too large to name just one sandwich to represent all of us. :angel:

Most of the United States is not in the northeast. Several northeast states could fit inside Virginia, not to mention Texas, Nevada and California...

While I have no clue what the relative sizes of different states has to do with the discussion, I agree lobster roll is not the "All American" sandwich. I'm glad we have it here.

My vote would be for the hamburger or hot dog over any others.

While I have no clue what the relative sizes of different states has to do with the discussion, I agree lobster roll is not the "All American" sandwich. I'm glad we have it here.

Creative asked which sandwich was more representative of the United States. Addie said the lobster roll because it's popular throughout New England. My point is that New England is such a small portion of the entire United States that it doesn't really represent the whole. I illustrated that by saying that New England (an entire region) could fit inside any one of several states.

Last edited:
It was not my choice Kay. It was the choice of the survey.

The sandwiches in the article were not listed in any particular order and it didn't say the lobster roll has taken first place. You did.

Oh no you can't put it on anyone but you Addie, you need to carefully read again what you said!

It was not my choice Kay. It was the choice of the survey...
If you're referring to the slideshow in the delicious-looking link that creative shared, it wasn't a survey, but a display of the different sandwiches that are popular in certain countries, or sections of a country. Just an article written for general information. New York got a hoagie, while the U.S. was mentioned as PB&J sandwiches being popular. Since New England is known for their lobsters, they decided to associate that sandwich with the region.

Seeing as all of Europe is only 25% larger than the "lower 48", I would think that each cuisine region in this huge country could claim ownership of a special sandwich. After all, along The North Coast, lobster rolls would definitely take a back seat to a good, old-fashioned, Lake Erie Perch sandwich. *groan* :yum: You can have your lobster and clams. I love me some lake perch, although I've always been a fan of shrimp and crab. Of course I'd love crab - my zodiac sign is Cancer. :LOL:

Go back and look at the survey and then read my post again. The whole survey was wrong. Or the title was. Sandwiches around the world? That covered more of the U.S. than the world. This is a huge country. Too large to name just one sandwich to represent all of us. :angel:
hides.gif
Well I just copied the title given! Many seem pleased with it and it does cover quite a few countries. I do agree though that US was somewhat robbed! After all, the UK had 2 sandwiches representing it (i.e. one just for London).

My vote would be for the hamburger or hot dog over any others.

So am I Andy. But once again this thread has turned into an "Let's attack Addie." That's okay. My skin is thick. Go to it folks! :angel:

So am I Andy. But once again this thread has turned into an "Let's attack Addie." That's okay. My skin is thick. Go to it folks! :angel:

This is what I meant. I guess you missed it.

Creative asked which sandwich was more representative of the United States. Addie said the lobster roll because it's popular throughout New England. My point is that New England is such a small portion of the entire United States that it doesn't really represent the whole. I illustrated that by saying that New England (an entire region) could fit inside any one of several states.

Correcting you is not attacking you. There's a vast difference. Too bad you can't see it.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission" (Eleanor Roosevelt)

- to be read whilst munching on a BLT! :cool: (Keeping it on track...slightly!)

I don't have a victim's mentality.

Last edited:
I think a BLT would be a good choice because different regions of the country add different ingredients to it to make it their own.

Back
Top Bottom