Show Me Your Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Ahhh, Grilled Cheese -- how can you beat a grilled cheese sammich (& a bowl of tomato soup)! Do you have a favorite to share?

One of mine is mozzarella in carozza (Mozzarella in a carriage).

Grilled pears & chevre.

Pesto, grilled cheese & tomatoes.

Tuna melt.

Bacon, swiss, avacado & tomato melt.

Last edited:
Erik said:
Multigrain Bread
Dijon Mustard
Muenster Cheese
Thin Apple Slices
Small Amount of Alfalfa Sprouts

Apples & cheddar were on the tip of my tongue, Erik. LOL. Muenster is one of my faves. Thanks Erik. :)

How 'bout a crab melt -- crab, avacado, swiss and tomatoes.

Last edited:
Sourdough Bread .... sliced on the thicker side
Pepper Jack Cheese
Smoked Ham
Sauted Onions cut in ringlets
Dijon Mustard

I like to spray my pan with EVOO and brown one side then spray again and brown the other side.

SizzlininIN said:
Sourdough Bread .... sliced on the thicker side
Pepper Jack Cheese
Smoked Ham
Sauted Onions cut in ringlets
Dijon Mustard

I like to spray my pan with EVOO and brown one side then spray again and brown the other side.

YUMMY, Sizz!:)

I like tomato, basil and fresh mozz grilled on some great artisian bread.

I'm a basic girl when it comes to grilled cheese though, just some extra sharp tillamook and butter the bread. Sometimes I'll get fancy with spinach, turkey and tomato, maybe some bacon too.:-p

I just love tomatoe and mozz with a little basil. I also like a little garlic flavor but not to much so I rub an open clove on my toasted bread. It works out great.

Bacon Tomato Grilled Cheese

Ingredients 8 slices sourdough bread
4 slices mozzarella cheese
2 large tomatoes thinly sliced
8 bacon strips cooked
4 tablespoons sour cream
4 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
4 slices cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons butter softened

Instructions
For each sandwich, top one slice of bread with one slice of mozzarella cheese, a fourth of the tomato slices, two bacon strips, 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon onion, a pinch of oregano, one slice of cheddar cheese and another slice of bread. Spread outside of sandwiches with butter. On a hot griddle over medium heat, grill sandwiches for 3-4 minutes on each side of until lightly toasted. Yield: 4 servings.

Good strawberry jam and a sharp cheddar, grill until cheese is melted.

Also works well with a couple of slices of smoked ham and lots of black pepper.

Mish, I beg your pardon....What do you mean with "mozzarella in carrozza"? Mozzarella in carrozza is not grilled, is fried. Sure. And you are right.....is wonderful!!!
The best grilled cheese is, for us, "caciocavallo", like "caciotta", do you know? Provolone too is good.
But, a little curiosity, here in North we often put on the point of a long fork the crusts of Parmesan, and put them on fire. Or, directly, Grilled, but you have to be very carefull: don't allow the become hard again on the grill, after you have cooked them.

I like mine with Chedarella, finely greated mixture of Chedar and Mozarella, with thin slices of tomato and red bell pepper, with just a little bit of jalapeno and paprika for the spice. And tomato soup spised up with some tobasko, yum.
Oh, yeah, I like it on a fresh french or italian bread. We have this absolutely imasing bread bakery, the bread is out of this world, it is from the old world. :)

Last edited:
We had grilled cheese and tomato soup just 3 nights ago. A favorite Meal. My wife Jen makes the sandwiches as I seem to burn them and I make the soup. She uses sour dough bread and I am going to see if she would be open to some of the cheeses mentioned above. I may have posted the recipe before. Anyway;

Roasted Tomato Soup

Take 7 or 8 tomatoes halved
3 or so onions cut into rings
Large pinch each or more: Thyme, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper
Olive Oil
1 or so cups Chicken Stock
About a quart of Milk or Cream

Drizzle cookie sheet with olive oil and place tomatoes face down in a single layer if possible. Next a layer of onion slices. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with herbs and bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. The tomatoes & onion will look fairly roasted. Let cool a bit.

With a blender in batches, puree with chicken stock until smooth. Pour into soup pan. Reheat and add milk or cream or both until the soup reaches a consistency you like.

Enjoy,
Bryan

Back
Top Bottom