"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Reubens in my area always have thousand island, also.
It sounds fantastic, Jabbur. I'm sure it would work. I've made a cheeseburger casserole before with loose hamburger on buns, with sauce, cheese, fries and then baked that was quite good and this sounds similar, minus the fries.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

After reading this thread, I went to Google to see what I could find about Russian vs. Thousand Island dressing. What happened is I came across a site that discusses the origin of the Reuben. It's a little long but it's an interesting read if you're into food history. Bottom line is there is no definitive answer to where the sandwich originated. Back to the dressings. As a youngster, I remember always seeing it with Russian but current info seems to give Thousand Island about equal billing.

Reuben Realm - Brief History of Reuben Sandwich

Old 02-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
Master Chef

This is going to be supper tonight I think. I'll let you know how they turn out. We usually have sliced corned beef, Swiss cheese sauerkraut and 1000 Island grilled sandwiches but recent research on briskets made me wonder if it would work like this. Maybe some spicy mustard would go well it too. I even have dill pickles in the fridge for on the side!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
This is going to be supper tonight I think. I'll let you know how they turn out. We usually have sliced corned beef, Swiss cheese sauerkraut and 1000 Island grilled sandwiches but recent research on briskets made me wonder if it would work like this. Maybe some spicy mustard would go well it too. I even have dill pickles in the fridge for on the side!
Sounds really good to me!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds really good to me, too.
I don't like any one part of a reuben except for the cheese, but there's something about everything together...
Old 02-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Love the idea!! But, for me at least, a reuben isn't a reuben without horseradish!! Can't believe no one else has brought this up.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
Love the idea!! But, for me at least, a reuben isn't a reuben without horseradish!! Can't believe no one else has brought this up.
Horseradish isn't a standard ingredient for a Reuben except there should be some in the Russian dressing. It would be a good addition though.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
Good point. I don't know why I didn't think of it either.

The question of Sloppy Reubens made me think, what is the sloppy part. If it's dressing, I think the dressing would overpower the rest of the flavors.

I like the flavor of either Thousand Island or Russian, but gradually have reduced the amount so there is just a thin spread on the bread.

I also don't use much sauerkraut for the same reason. I want to taste it, but only as an accent.

Meatatarian that I am, I want to taste the corned beef and cheese combo. Everything else is just seasoning.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I love Reubens, so now I have to add more Swiss and some deli corned beef and Rye bread to my grocery list for next week!

Ya'll done gone and made me hungry for 'em.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Good point. I don't know why I didn't think of it either.
Well, at least I'm not the only one....for a while there I was questioning my dear departed Mother....her reubens always had horseradish and so do mine.