Sloppy Reubens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I've got this idea for a sandwich. I want to cook a corned beef roast and shred it like bbq. Mix in some sauerkraut, heat it all up and then spoon it on buns. Put some swiss cheese on top and broil it to melt the cheese then top with 1000 island dressing. Think it will fly? I'm hoping to work it out tomorrow.

Most of the Reubens I have eaten had thousand island dressing, so I'm sure it will be good. I would probably spread the dressing thinly on the bread, as I don't like dressing oozing out of my sandwich and spreading it would give me more control.

I LOVE Reubens!

:)Barbara

Most of the Reubens I have eaten had thousand island dressing, so I'm sure it will be good. I would probably spread the dressing thinly on the bread, as I don't like dressing oozing out of my sandwich and spreading it would give me more control.

I LOVE Reubens!

:)Barbara

Ditto!

Coincidentally, we are having sandwiches and soup for dinner tomorrow. SO brought home some corned beef. I asked her to pick up some pumpernickel. I'll have to add swiss cheese to the list and make some reubens. I can pass on the Russian dressing.

Reubens in my area always have thousand island, also.
It sounds fantastic, Jabbur. I'm sure it would work. I've made a cheeseburger casserole before with loose hamburger on buns, with sauce, cheese, fries and then baked that was quite good and this sounds similar, minus the fries.

After reading this thread, I went to Google to see what I could find about Russian vs. Thousand Island dressing. What happened is I came across a site that discusses the origin of the Reuben. It's a little long but it's an interesting read if you're into food history. Bottom line is there is no definitive answer to where the sandwich originated. Back to the dressings. As a youngster, I remember always seeing it with Russian but current info seems to give Thousand Island about equal billing.

Reuben Realm - Brief History of Reuben Sandwich

Last edited:
This is going to be supper tonight I think. I'll let you know how they turn out. We usually have sliced corned beef, Swiss cheese sauerkraut and 1000 Island grilled sandwiches but recent research on briskets made me wonder if it would work like this. Maybe some spicy mustard would go well it too. I even have dill pickles in the fridge for on the side!

This is going to be supper tonight I think. I'll let you know how they turn out. We usually have sliced corned beef, Swiss cheese sauerkraut and 1000 Island grilled sandwiches but recent research on briskets made me wonder if it would work like this. Maybe some spicy mustard would go well it too. I even have dill pickles in the fridge for on the side!

Sounds really good to me!

Sounds really good to me, too.
I don't like any one part of a reuben except for the cheese, but there's something about everything together...

Love the idea!! But, for me at least, a reuben isn't a reuben without horseradish!!:chef: Can't believe no one else has brought this up.

Love the idea!! But, for me at least, a reuben isn't a reuben without horseradish!!:chef: Can't believe no one else has brought this up.

Horseradish isn't a standard ingredient for a Reuben except there should be some in the Russian dressing. It would be a good addition though.

Good point. I don't know why I didn't think of it either.

The question of Sloppy Reubens made me think, what is the sloppy part. If it's dressing, I think the dressing would overpower the rest of the flavors.

I like the flavor of either Thousand Island or Russian, but gradually have reduced the amount so there is just a thin spread on the bread.

I also don't use much sauerkraut for the same reason. I want to taste it, but only as an accent.

Meatatarian that I am, I want to taste the corned beef and cheese combo. Everything else is just seasoning.:chef:

I love Reubens, so now I have to add more Swiss and some deli corned beef and Rye bread to my grocery list for next week!

Ya'll done gone and made me hungry for 'em.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom