Spicy Turkey Sloppy Joes Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I wasn't sure if this would fit best here or on the poultry forum, but since "Sloppy Joes" are essentially a "sandwich", here I'll plant it - lol!

After experimenting a few times before, made these last night & they were SCRUMPTIOUS. Definitely the best Sloppy Joes I've made so far, & the 1st that dear husband unpromptedly touted as ones he'd definitely want to have again.

Breezy Sloppy Joes

Dollop or two of olive oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped (I used a Vidalia)

1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped, any color (I used a red one)

1 celery stalk, finely chopped

3-4 garlic cloves, chopped

Italian Seasoning & Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to taste.

1 Package (1 to 1-1/3 pounds) ground turkey

1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce

1/4 cup spicy ketchup (or ¼ cup ketchup with 1-2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce added)

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

4 hamburger buns, split and toasted

1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, but not browned. Add garlic & stir for a minute or two.

2. Add ground turkey to skillet. Cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink. Add dried Italian Seasoning & Crushed Red Pepper flakes to taste (about a teaspoon each to start).

3. Stir tomato sauce, spicy ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce into mixture in skillet. Simmer until thickened to taste, stirring occasionally.

4. Spoon onto buns, and serve immediately, topped with cole slaw if desired.

:) Your recipe sounds so much better than the ones I made a week ago with some venison your recipe is not sweet as the ones I made.I have only had sloppy joes once when I was a little kid so I wanted to try to make them my recipe had alot of ketchup and brown sugar in that recipe.I was really unhappy with my recipe way too sweet.

Thanks! That's why I kept fooling around with it - I don't like "sweet" Sloppy Joes either!

This one is spicy/tangy - but not too much - & can easily be adjusted spice-wise to taste. I'm also thinking it would make a nice mixture to toss with macaroni as well.

Back
Top Bottom