"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 03-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
Senior Cook

'Standard' ingredients on a burger w/everything

We went to a restaurant last night, and I had to go to the salad/soup bar for my wife (herniated disc in her back) and her disabled brother. I made several trips, so I asked her to order me a cheeseburger with everything.

Where I come from, a burger with everything comes with lettuce, tomato, regular pickles, and onions. And perhaps, depending on the cook, perhaps a small spread of ketchup or mayo. And then there's more condiments on the table if the customer wants more.

However, my cheeseburger was slathered in relish. Relish? Also sweet pickles (not regular pickles) along with the lettuce, tomato, onions. I don't even put relish on hot dogs, as I am not a fan of it. :)

I didn't send it back. It's my fault for not specifying exactly what I want on it. I am from the southwest, and food is slightly different there. Anyway, I just wiped as much of it off as possible and ate it. I've ordered burgers with everything since like 1978 and never had one come out with relish.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Do you have a question, or is this a petty vent?

Old 03-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Do you have a question, or is this a petty vent?
lol, I guess it's a petty (real petty) vent. No, I just thought it was funny that a cook would think that relish is a standard ingredient on a burger.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #4
Master Chef

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've had relish on a burger either. However, there always seems to be several burgers, including descriptions on the menu. Your wife must know what you like, and she could have guessed your choice, no?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've had relish on a burger either. However, there always seems to be several burgers, including descriptions on the menu. Your wife must know what you like, and she could have guessed your choice, no?
She just said "cheeseburger with everything" which is usually 99.99999% of the time simply lettuce, tomatoes, onions, regular pickles. Plus with those toppings, they can be easily removed if there are too many or the customer decides they don't want it.

No biggie, I will just start specifying. At Burger King where you can "have it your way" I get mine with BBQ sauce, onions, pickles.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #6
Master Chef

A burger thread. I haven't had a burger in a while. I'm stopping at In-n-Out on the way home....

Someone starts a burger thread and now I'm thinking burgers....and that's what feel like having tonight.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:45 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

'Standard' ingredients on a burger w/everything

Never had relish on a burger, but come to think of it, it doesn't sound bad. Hot dogs do need relish, and mustard. No ketchup.

Wish we had an In-n-Out, have heard they are outstanding. I do like our local Hardee's, their Mushroom Swiss burgers are good, as are their Little Thickburgers. No relish though.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Never had relish on a burger, but come to think of it, it doesn't sound bad. Hot dogs do need relish, and mustard. No ketchup.

Wish we had an In-n-Out, have heard they are outstanding. I do like our local Hardee's, their Mushroom Swiss burgers are good, as are their Little Thickburgers. No relish though.
Yeah In N Out is the best. Five Guys is pretty good too -- almost as good as In N Out.

I like to use "stadium (or ballpark) mustard" on hot dogs. Sort of spicy. I can eat hot dogs plain, ketchup, mustard, chili. The local minor league baseball team has dollar nights where you can get hot dogs and small draft beers for a buck each. :) I can eat 4 or 5.

This stuff's a staple around here at all the pro sports arenas. Betcha can only get yellow mustard at most concession stands.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:56 PM   #9
Master Chef

I don't think I've ever seen pickle relish as standard on a restaurant burger either, just pickles.

I'm probably odd person out here with burgers though, I like them with just a very light spread of mayo and that's the only condiment I want. A juicy char-broiled patty, lettuce, tomato and onion on a toasted bun, and I'm good with that.

I go to In N Out about once a year when I go visit my daughter, and used to really love them. They don't seem to be as good as they were in the past, though.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:51 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
Yeah In N Out is the best. Five Guys is pretty good too -- almost as good as In N Out.

I like to use "stadium (or ballpark) mustard" on hot dogs. Sort of spicy. I can eat hot dogs plain, ketchup, mustard, chili. The local minor league baseball team has dollar nights where you can get hot dogs and small draft beers for a buck each. :) I can eat 4 or 5.

This stuff's a staple around here at all the pro sports arenas. Betcha can only get yellow mustard at most concession stands.
Actually, yellow is what I prefer, and its the only mustard I'll put on a hot dog. I've spoken with people not from Ohio who have had the Ball Park mustard, and most seem to think it's pretty bad. I can't say as I've never had it. I did have ribs at what was touted as one of the best BBQ places in Cincinnati (Montgomery Inn), and I wasn't terribly impressed. Seems like regional fare is sometimes only outstanding to those who grew up with it.

As far as the cheeseburger, these days I'd never order one with "everything", because I really don't think that has a fixed meaning any more. Most of the places where I eat burgers now days, they have all sorts of options, and many of those I don't want anywhere near my burger.

Back when I first discovered the lowly hamburger, I lived in White Bear Lake, Minnesota (mid 1950's), and we had a place in town called - wait for it - The Malt Shoppe. They had what was called a California hamburger, which was a burger with everything. I guess that someone in California was the first to put lettuce, tomato, onion, etc. on a hamburger. After I left Minnesota, it was just called a "deluxe" hamburger. I've become a bit more adventurous over the years, but I still know what I like and what I don't.

Now I always specify what menu item I want, and what toppings I expect, because I really, really don't want avocado, or a fried egg, or a slice of pineapple, or any of a dozen other things that I've seen offered on a burger in the modern age. If worse comes to worst, I can even live with just ketchup and onion. At least that one I can get my mouth around, which can't be said for the monstrosities that some restaurants have concocted.