Steak Sammy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Score and place in a shallow dish a 2 lb. flank steak. Now pour this marinade over it and let it sit at room temp 4 hrs. you need 2/3 cup beer,1/3 cup veggie oil,1 tea. salt and and pepper, and 2 cloves crushed garlic mixed well. When ready to serve melt in a med saucepan 4 Tab. butter,1/2 tea. paprika,and 1/4 tea. salt. Add 3 cup sliced onion to the butter and cook over med low heat 16-20 min or til soft. tender. Keep warm Mix 6 Tab. soft butter with 1/4 Tab. fresh parsley, 1/4 tea. dry tarragon,thyme,marjoram spread this mix on 6 split sourdough rolls put the butter on each side. Wrap the rolls in foil and bake in oven at 325 10-15 min keep an eye on them so they don't get hard and burn. Remove steak from marinade and broil 3-5 min on each side Then thinly slice meat on the diagonal and keep warm. Heat 1-1/2 cups sour cream and a small amout of horseraddish Preparred kind To serve this sammy place 2 roll halves on a plate put meat on the rolls cover with the onion mixture and top with sourcream-horseraddish Sprinkle with paprika and serve with ice cold beer and Spiced tomatoes. I have a recipe if your interested.:yum:
kades

This sounds wonderful, Ma and I am interested in the tomato recipe.
Here ya go we call them cold spiced tomatoes In a qt jar blend 1-1/2 cps veggie oil, 1-cp white vinegar, 1/4 cp. sugar,1 clove crushed garlic,8 os green salsa,1/2 tea. marjoram,1/8 tea. celery seed, salt and pepper put in jar with lid and shake like HE!!;)In a med sized mixing bowl combine6 green onions including tops chopped,1/2 cp finely chopped celery,4 small tomatoes unpeeled cored and chopped, and a 4 0z can of chopped green chiles, mix in the oil mixture cover and refrigerate 6 hrs. 2 hrs before serving add 6 tomatoes unpeeled,cored and cut into wedges to the marinade, blend all well and return to frig . To serve arrange lettuce leaves on a platter and using slotted spoon place tomato mixture over the platter also pour some of the marinade over the patter including the green onions,celery and chiles Place anchovy fillets over the whole mess and top with parsley The type of chiles you get hot,med,mild will give some bite to these tomatoes or they can by mild. I make the whole thing but you can cut it way down to make it for you and Shrek
enjoy
ma

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds wonderful, I'm always looking for more ways with fresh tomatoes. Thanks, Ma!

Ma, I would have to change this around a little for TB, but it sounds really good. Thanks! I like the tomato one as well!

Ma, I would have to change this around a little for TB, but it sounds really good. Thanks! I like the tomato one as well!
I'm glad Laurie they are both great. Tell me what you have to do for TB? I'd love to know if you don't mind.
ma

He can't have wheat, gluten, dairy, casein, soy or eggs.

First thing is instead of the rolls I would use his potato bread or buns. In the marinade I only need to use a gluten free beer (he gets them for special occasions) and use ghee (clarified butter).

For the tomatoes I would have to leave out the anchovies (we both love them) because they are packed in soy. Even rinsing well isn't enough. I will figure something out for that.

But, Ma, your recipes always use so many fresh or natural ingredients so switching them up is easy! :)

First thing is instead of the rolls I would use his potato bread or buns. In the marinade I only need to use a gluten free beer (he gets them for special occasions) and use ghee (clarified butter).

For the tomatoes I would have to leave out the anchovies (we both love them) because they are packed in soy. Even rinsing well isn't enough. I will figure something out for that.

But, Ma, your recipes always use so many fresh or natural ingredients so switching them up is easy! :)
This helps, If I find helpful things I'll let you know.Thanks sweetie
I saw in another post that your taking asprin as well as a blood thinner YIKES girl, DH chocked on that piece of news did they say taking both was OK?
ma

You're right, Kades. I take a blood thinner (warfarin) and have for years. I was cautioned to NEVER take aspirin in any form nor should I take anything containing aspirin. Tylenol is okay, but that's it. Can be very dangerous to mix both.

This helps, If I find helpful things I'll let you know.Thanks sweetie
I saw in another post that your taking asprin as well as a blood thinner YIKES girl, DH chocked on that piece of news did they say taking both was OK?
ma
It was the cardiologist that put me on both. He wants me on a "baby" aspirin for life and the blood thinner until I get the appointment for the angiogram. But my GP said if bruising continues to stop the aspirin and call her any time!

It was the cardiologist that put me on both. He wants me on a "baby" aspirin for life and the blood thinner until I get the appointment for the angiogram. But my GP said if bruising continues to stop the aspirin and call her any time!

I am surprised that your GP told you to do that. A doctor will usually confer with the prescribing doctor before making any changes.

A lot of cardio doctors have their patients on both aspirin and a blood thinner. I was on full strength aspirin and a high dosage of blood thinners. Sure the bruisers were nasty looking, but I got my cholesterol down to excellent numbers and am now on a baby aspirin and a lower dosage for blood thinner. Each one does a different function. :angel:

Sorry, Addie, I think this conversation is in a couple of places. My GP called the cardiologist to talk about the problem and he got angry and said that I should just suck it up and do what he told me...don't complain about the bruising. She (GP) is trying to get me to a new cardiologist (she didn't pick him the hospital did). She got all the results from him and today called to say I should stay on the blood thinner and stop the aspirin for now. The cardiologist I saw is leaving the request for the angiogram because it takes so long, but when I get the new doctor I will have the results go to them instead.

It has a lot to do with my other conditions and medications and he didn't take that into consideration.

Last edited:
Sorry, Addie, I think this conversation is in a couple of places. My GP called the cardiologist to talk about the problem and he got angry and said that I should just suck it up and do what he told me...don't complain about the bruising. She (GP) is trying to get me to a new cardiologist (she didn't pick him the hospital did). She got all the results from him and today called to say I should stay on the blood thinner and stop the aspirin for now. The cardiologist I saw is leaving the request for the angiogram because it takes so long, but when I get the new doctor I will have the results go to them instead.

It has a lot to do with my other conditions and medications and he didn't take that into consideration.

Sorry. I just looked again and saw you are in Canada. I can now understand the action your GP took. :angel:

Addie, I feel the need to take this conversation out of this thread so will be PMing you.

We need to get this back to steak sammies! :)

I nearly spit out my tea when I read that. Then I dashed to the fridge to check my anchovies, since I'm not allowed soy either.

Phew. My little jar of anchovies has: anchovies, sunflower oil, and salt. The brand is Allesia, prepared for Aurora Importing & Distribution Ltd., Mississauga, Ontario and Anjou, Québec. They stay fresh much longer in an open jar than an open can. They are from Italy.

I nearly spit out my tea when I read that. Then I dashed to the fridge to check my anchovies, since I'm not allowed soy either.

Phew. My little jar of anchovies has: anchovies, sunflower oil, and salt. The brand is Allesia, prepared for Aurora Importing & Distribution Ltd., Mississauga, Ontario and Anjou, Québec. They stay fresh much longer in an open jar than an open can. They are from Italy.

Thanks, TL, I will look for that brand in our specialty foods store. All three brands (in cans) that we can get here have soybean oil as an ingredient. It is great to get all these helps! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom