Strange but Yummy Sarnies! (Sandwiches)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Deal :)
I also sometimes mix creamstyle sweetcorn with mayo, salt, pepper and add a nice slice of cheddar on white bread then toast it. Tastes like a gooey cornbread !
I love cucumbers Armenian of course, no peeling or much in the way of seeds. Slice very thin, get 4 slices of super fresh white or wheat bread, take off the crust and spread 2 slices with your fav goat cheese and put the slices of cucumber of top or the other two. Now make a stack out of the 4 slices add some pepper and salt and ooops forgot to tell you to butter the bread:rolleyes: Then cut sammie Park and enjoy with a tall cool drink.
kades

I love cucumbers Armenian of course, no peeling or much in the way of seeds. Slice very thin, get 4 slices of super fresh white or wheat bread, take off the crust and spread 2 slices with your fav goat cheese and put the slices of cucumber of top or the other two. Now make a stack out of the 4 slices add some pepper and salt and ooops forgot to tell you to butter the bread:rolleyes: Then cut sammie Park and enjoy with a tall cool drink.
kades

Sounds Yummy :)

Peanut Butter, Bacon, Cheddar
Peanut Butter, Doritos
Ham, Potato Chips, Mayo, BBQ Sauce
Potato Cake, Sour Cream, American Cheese, Raw Onion
Mashed Baked Beans, Fried Egg (on toast)

ok - Rrreeeeaaching back into childhood....

Age 13 - 14 but still darned good:

Very fresh white Balloon Bread - 2 slices - slathered with butter, one side then blessed with mustard, the other with Mayo, fresh crispy potato chips, American Cheese, sweet pickle slices and, if you're really hungry a slice of ham.

Salami sliced so thin you can almost see through it, mayo and watermelon - yup just that simple.

A friend turned me on to Peanut butter, mayo and dill pickles - hits all the spots.

A very dear Aunt and Uncle had Bean sandwiches every night - butter, (of course they were from Southern Illinois), mustard and beans. They were in their late 70's, 2nd marriage for both and I remember (as a 12 year old in Catholic School) being scandalized when I saw him pat her on the fanny as they headed to bed. Today I regard that as awfully sweet and those sandwiches were really good!

Probably everyone here has had a favorite my Dad shared with my son - Sardine and mustard on white bread.

Most of the time son eschewed the bread and just ate the lunch meat out of hand!

What wonderful ideas - thanks for the thread!

1. Two slices white bread. 2 fillets freshly caught, cleaned, and pan-fried perch, pan-fried sliced potato (until slightly crisped), a bit of ketchup, salt. Must be done on the side of the river, over an open camp-fire, on a warm July or August day.

2. Two slices whole wheat bread. 1/4 inch thick slice good ham (must be moist with as little gristle as possible), Two thick slices Velveeta, yellow mustard on one bread slice with mayo on the other. Microwave until the cheese is melted.

3. Generous amount of turkey slices, left over from a Thanksgiving dinner, salt, pepper, bread stuffing, Miracle Whip, Whole Wheat Bread. Put everything between the bread slices.

4. Hoagie Roll, generous amounts of Capicola, Soprasetta, Good pepperoni, shredded lettuce, sliced - ripe tomato, avacado slices, Muenster cheese, all drizzled with EVOO, toasted to melt the cheese.

I could go on. But you get the idea.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
1. Two slices white bread. 2 fillets freshly caught, cleaned, and pan-fried perch, pan-fried sliced potato (until slightly crisped), a bit of ketchup, salt. Must be done on the side of the river, over an open camp-fire, on a warm July or August day.

2. Two slices whole wheat bread. 1/4 inch thick slice good ham (must be moist with as little gristle as possible), Two thick slices Velveeta, yellow mustard on one bread slice with mayo on the other. Microwave until the cheese is melted.

3. Generous amount of turkey slices, left over from a Thanksgiving dinner, salt, pepper, bread stuffing, Miracle Whip, Whole Wheat Bread. Put everything between the bread slices.

4. Hoagie Roll, generous amounts of Capicola, Soprasetta, Good pepperoni, shredded lettuce, sliced - ripe tomato, avacado slices, Muenster cheese, all drizzled with EVOO, toasted to melt the cheese.

I could go on. But you get the idea.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Only just found this ancient post! Your sarnies sound delicious Chief, not weird at all :yum:

My latest weird sandwich is fresh white bread with loads of real butter and a sprinkle of either aniseed or celery seed (not together)
The aniseed reminds me of mosbolletjies (traditional fresh rusks in SA) Delicious!

This isn't so odd but it sure tastes good:) Smash up a half of an avocado, add a liittle mayo some garlic crushed, salt and pepper, a drizzle of evoo, put on toasted French bread, now add a couple of torn up pieces of procuitto and then a slice of your favorite melting cheese, I used some gorgonzola. top with arugula and then ran it through the paninni press and it was great.
kades

This sounds lovely, thanks Kades :yum:

Last edited by a moderator:
My ma use to make me white bread smothered with fresh butter then sprinkled with sugar. I also would wolf fresh white bread with mayo,and salted cucumbers. Come summer and the tomatoes are juicy ripe and sweet I love to slice them rather thick, put on a piece of Italian or French bread I've toasted drizzle with evoo and a little home made red wine vinegar. Eat and let them drizzle all down my chin. Yummo big time.
kades

Last edited:
Cucumber and tomato slices on good bread, garnished with mayo and some chopped chives.

Slices of boiled potato on heavy rye bread spread with bacon fat and sprinkled with salt and freshly ground pepper.

just one of many, many, of your goldy oldiie threads snipper! i had quite forgotten my distinction of having succeeded in 'grossing you out' with my butter and sugar sandwiches. i must say, i stand proud today of that monumental feat, snip. between you and tim, dc came alive, bouncing along gaily for months, a freewheeling vehicle carrying on lively daily discussions across the forums. sometimes the threads were thoughtful, sometimes contentious, others instructive. almost always they were injected with hilarity, mostly tim's, but frequently he would call upon a cast of ancillary animal characters--cats, birds, dogs, chipmunks, to help demonstrate the ongoing comedy and absurdity of the human condition around us--all met with recognition and shared laughter across the dc threads....

nice to get away for the holidays. nice to come home again....welcome back, snip.:)

Last edited:
Cucumber and tomato slices on good bread, garnished with mayo and some chopped chives.

Slices of boiled potato on heavy rye bread spread with bacon fat and sprinkled with salt and freshly ground pepper.

mmm, boiled potatoes on rye with bacon fat and fresh-ground pepper sounds super to me! a keeper for sure....:yum:

just one of many, many, of your goldy oldiie threads snipper! i had quite forgotten my distinction of having succeeded in 'grossing you out' with my butter and sugar sandwiches. i must say, i stand proud today of that monumental feat, snip. between you and tim, dc came alive, bouncing along gaily for months, a freewheeling vehicle carrying on lively daily discussions across the forums. sometimes the threads were thoughtful, sometimes contentious, others instructive. almost always they were injected with hilarity, mostly tim's, but frequently he would call upon a cast of ancillary animal characters--cats, birds, dogs, chipmunks, to help demonstrate the ongoing comedy and absurdity of the human condition around us--all met with recognition and shared laughter across the dc threads....

nice to get away for the holidays. nice to come home again....welcome back, snip.:)

Thanks V :)
Miss the good old days! Not that it was that long ago. We made a good threesome :LOL: You are one of the few people that understood Tim. My mornings aren't the same with him gone. He used to make himself a cup when I woke up and chat to me online every morning even though it was way past bedtime for him. Friends like him are rare.
I have found a few good friends on DC, you included :)

P.S Sugar on buttered bread still grosses me out :ermm:

mmm, boiled potatoes on rye with bacon fat and fresh-ground pepper sounds super to me! a keeper for sure....:yum:
Are you sure you aren't part Scandinavian? :LOL:

And Danish kids get sugar sandwiches on heavy rye, as well as chocolate sandwiches. In fact, you can buy chocolate "cold cuts", just the right size and thickness for a heavy rye bread sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom