Strange but Yummy Sarnies! (Sandwiches)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some more of my weird combos lol!
Fried egg with apricot jam and tabasco on a toast sandwich, sauerkraut with celery seeds and hot mustard on rye, calamata olives with mozzarella on toasted ciabatta, Steers Garlic sauce and lots of crushed black pepper on fresh white bread, radishes with mayo and s&p on wholegrain bread, pastrami and fig preserve on pumpernickle bread.......

Are you sure you aren't part Scandinavian? :LOL:

And Danish kids get sugar sandwiches on heavy rye, as well as chocolate sandwiches. In fact, you can buy chocolate "cold cuts", just the right size and thickness for a heavy rye bread sandwich.

in a way, i guess i am part scandinavian, taxy. latvia, where i was born, was at one time under the rule of denmark, and also sweden, among others.:)

My food heritage, culturally, includes saurbraten, rouladen, and schnitzel from one side, and from the same side, include tomato, beans, potatoes, cattails, Pawpaw, Great Lakes native fish, and then again, there's a part of my ancestery that eats haggis. Don't forget the duck la'range, and bouliabase. Can you tell that I'm multi-epicurean? Is that a valid word?:LOL:

Oh, and don't forget the Irish part. What foods are Irish famous for, and don't say potatoes.

Now, I think I'll make DW and myself some multi-cultural food for supper.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My middle brother had a thing for peanut butter, ketchup, banana and baloney on white bread.:rolleyes:

The one that turned my stomach was this guy that put sardines in mustard sauce on angel food cake!:ohmy:

personally, the sardines with mustard on angel food strikes me as a less objectionable combination than the sandwich combining peanut butter, ketchup, banana and baloney.

My food heritage, culturally, includes saurbraten, rouladen, and schnitzel from one side, and from the same side, include tomato, beans, potatoes, cattails, Pawpaw, Great Lakes native fish, and then again, there's a part of my ancestery that eats haggis. Don't forget the duck la'range, and bouliabase. Can you tell that I'm multi-epicurean? Is that a valid word?:LOL:

Oh, and don't forget the Irish part. What foods are Irish famous for, and don't say potatoes.

Now, I think I'll make DW and myself some multi-cultural food for supper.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

:LOL:

I think I've created my own food culture. I'm half Irish and Half Afrikaans (or Dutch) and I grew up in SA.
I love curries and things like sauerkraut, eisbein and smoked anything with pickles on the side :LOL:

And Danish kids get sugar sandwiches on heavy rye, as well as chocolate sandwiches. In fact, you can buy chocolate "cold cuts", just the right size and thickness for a heavy rye bread sandwich.

I like the sound of chocolate sandwiches :yum:

Are you sure you aren't part Scandinavian? :LOL:

chocolate sandwiches were the best, though sugar was easier to come by, and also tasted divine. okay taxy, since we're practically kin, let me ask you this,do you recall any desserts or sweet breads made from sweetened cottage cheese? or sweet cottage cheese sandwiches?

chocolate sandwiches were the best, though sugar was easier to come by, and also tasted divine. okay taxy, since we're practically kin, let me ask you this,do you recall any desserts or sweet breads made from sweetened cottage cheese? or sweet cottage cheese sandwiches?
Nope. The Danish dessert (other than pastries) that I remember is rødgrød. It's a red, fruit pudding. :yum:

more than any other desserts, we ate fruit puddings, well, mostly berries we grew in the garden, strawberries, blueberries, gooseberries and raspberries. the sweetened cottage cheese i'm remembering either comes from another 'cultural connection' of mine, or it was simply a manifestation of what was our early poverty. even now i have difficulty differentiating between ethnicity and poverty as it pertained to foods to which i was exposed as a child.

Keep in mind, I'm just a contributor to this thread. I didn't start it so don't blame me for your inevitable reaction to one of my childhood favorites. I still eat it from time to time.

BlackBerry Jam and Mustard. If you think about it, it's just a sweet and sour combo. Don't use too much mustard. The mustard will easily overpower the jam. I prefer jam over jelly because I like the texture of the seeds. If you don't have BlackBerry, boysenberry is a good substitute.

Well the wildestI ever got in my childhood was ketchup, or mayo or butter and sugar sandwiches. I guess I lacked imagination. :angel:

Yeah, nothing wild about butter and sugar. I still eat that from time to time. I never got too heavy with the butter and only as much sugar as would stick to the butter. I usually ate that as an open faced sandwich.

:wacko: I don't eat them anymore. For some strange reason I have developed a distaste for bread. I will make a sandwich that sounds so good, then I pull all the bread off and leave just enough for my fingers to hold it together. I throw out more bread than I eat in a year. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom