"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 01-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Surprise Sandwich Recipe

Not really a surprise, but it surprised me how it tasted, it was one I wasn't sure about, now..we all enjoy it. In fact I had it today with my daughters for lunch with some pasta salad. This can be made into little teatime sammies served on small pieces of white bread or tiny filled cream puffs..We stuffed pita's with it and it was good.
1-c.diced cooked chicken (about 1 whole cooked breast, I used 2)
1/2-c. chopped dates
1/4-c.chopped hazelnuts or walnuts or pinenuts
1/4-c. crumbled crisp bacon ( I used about 5 strips)
1/2-c. mayo or more if you want
We each used a half of a pita and added some shredded lettuce to it. enjoyable and will make again.

enjoy
kadesma

Old 01-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #2
Master Chef

Anything but dates I can eat raisins, but, not dates.
But, it sounds really good!! I like chicken and bacon together.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Morning Texas It took me awhile to manage dates, now I like them, but, try the raisins or how about some dried cranberries or apricots. I think just about any dried fruit would taste good.

kadesma
Old 01-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Wow CJ, it IS indeed a surprising combination... who would have thought!! But I am really intrigued to try that...I would think dried figs could be a tasty substitute, too!!
Old 01-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Gorgeous looking Kadesma, I am such a fan of sweet and salty things together, this sounds entirely up my alley Did you use fresh or dried dates?

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolina
Gorgeous looking Kadesma, I am such a fan of sweet and salty things together, this sounds entirely up my alley Did you use fresh or dried dates?
Jessica,
I use fresh dates now as I saw some at the store and got a few to stuff with walnuts for my mom, the rest I used in the sandwich filling. But, I've used dried dates as well and they work fine.

kadesma
Old 01-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Wow CJ, it IS indeed a surprising combination... who would have thought!! But I am really intrigued to try that...I would think dried figs could be a tasty substitute, too!!
licia,
yes it kind of threw me the first time I saw the recipe, but, I love to try things sooo I would think figs would really taste wonderful in this combo..Will have to try it next time figs being one of my favorite fruits . Thanks for the suggestion..
kadesma
Old 01-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
Executive Chef

My sister just came back from a trip to Germany and Israel and really had enjoyed the wonderful dates in Israel. They had them fresh every day. She would loved to have brought some back but restrictions forbid it. We never get the fresh ones in our markets. I may check out Fresh Market or Chef's Market and see if they ever have them.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:00 AM   #9
Master Chef

Shortly after getting married, my wife and I took a trip to 29 Palms, California. She had been there once before with her parents and told me that I just had to try the various date varieties grown there. I did. And for those of you who said you don't like dates, do count them out yet. The tremendous variety of the little fruits is amazing. They run in texture from dry and gritty, to something like eating a soft, syrupy mass covered in skin. They come in bland, sweet, and very sweet varieties.

I found that I adored some types, and detested others. Just as there are many members of the cabbage family, everything from brussle sprouts to the rutabegga, which is a bybrid mix of turnip and cabbage, there are many different types and flavors in the date family. Unortunately, in most grocery stores, only one kind can be found, the dromedary date. And it comes in one of four ways, whole-pitted, whole-unpitted, dried, and canned. Though I like them, I wish more variety was available. Having only one variety around is, well, boring.

If you ever get to 29 Palms, you have to try some of the many varieties available. You just might be suprized.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:39 AM   #10
Executive Chef

If you're ever in Indio, California (not too far from Palm Springs, as I recall), the date shakes are heaven. Wish I had the recipe. Guessing it was vanilla ice cream and milk.