Surprise Sandwich Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Not really a surprise, but it surprised me how it tasted, it was one I wasn't sure about, now..we all enjoy it. In fact I had it today with my daughters for lunch with some pasta salad. This can be made into little teatime sammies served on small pieces of white bread or tiny filled cream puffs..We stuffed pita's with it and it was good.
1-c.diced cooked chicken (about 1 whole cooked breast, I used 2)
1/2-c. chopped dates
1/4-c.chopped hazelnuts or walnuts or pinenuts
1/4-c. crumbled crisp bacon ( I used about 5 strips)
1/2-c. mayo or more if you want
We each used a half of a pita and added some shredded lettuce to it. enjoyable and will make again.

enjoy
kadesma:)

Anything but dates:sick: I can eat raisins, but, not dates.
But, it sounds really good!! I like chicken and bacon together.

Morning Texas:) It took me awhile to manage dates, now I like them, but, try the raisins or how about some dried cranberries or apricots. I think just about any dried fruit would taste good.:)

kadesma

Wow CJ, it IS indeed a surprising combination... who would have thought!! But I am really intrigued to try that...I would think dried figs could be a tasty substitute, too!!

Gorgeous looking Kadesma, I am such a fan of sweet and salty things together, this sounds entirely up my alley :) Did you use fresh or dried dates?

Piccolina said:
Gorgeous looking Kadesma, I am such a fan of sweet and salty things together, this sounds entirely up my alley :) Did you use fresh or dried dates?
Jessica,
I use fresh dates now as I saw some at the store and got a few to stuff with walnuts for my mom, the rest I used in the sandwich filling. But, I've used dried dates as well and they work fine.

kadesma:)

urmaniac13 said:
Wow CJ, it IS indeed a surprising combination... who would have thought!! But I am really intrigued to try that...I would think dried figs could be a tasty substitute, too!!
licia,
yes it kind of threw me the first time I saw the recipe, but, I love to try things sooo:LOL: I would think figs would really taste wonderful in this combo..Will have to try it next time figs being one of my favorite fruits . Thanks for the suggestion..
kadesma

My sister just came back from a trip to Germany and Israel and really had enjoyed the wonderful dates in Israel. They had them fresh every day. She would loved to have brought some back but restrictions forbid it. We never get the fresh ones in our markets. I may check out Fresh Market or Chef's Market and see if they ever have them.

Shortly after getting married, my wife and I took a trip to 29 Palms, California. She had been there once before with her parents and told me that I just had to try the various date varieties grown there. I did. And for those of you who said you don't like dates, do count them out yet. The tremendous variety of the little fruits is amazing. They run in texture from dry and gritty, to something like eating a soft, syrupy mass covered in skin. They come in bland, sweet, and very sweet varieties.

I found that I adored some types, and detested others. Just as there are many members of the cabbage family, everything from brussle sprouts to the rutabegga, which is a bybrid mix of turnip and cabbage, there are many different types and flavors in the date family. Unortunately, in most grocery stores, only one kind can be found, the dromedary date. And it comes in one of four ways, whole-pitted, whole-unpitted, dried, and canned. Though I like them, I wish more variety was available. Having only one variety around is, well, boring.:sleep:

If you ever get to 29 Palms, you have to try some of the many varieties available. You just might be suprized.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If you're ever in Indio, California (not too far from Palm Springs, as I recall), the date shakes are heaven. Wish I had the recipe. Guessing it was vanilla ice cream and milk.

sounds great !!! although the one thing that took me as a surprise was the dates... never thought about dates on a chicken sandwich before.
mmmmmmmmm.

middie said:
sounds great !!! although the one thing that took me as a surprise was the dates... never thought about dates on a chicken sandwich before.
mmmmmmmmm.
I had'nt either Middie, it was usually just mayo,celery, onion and lettuce..But the surprise for me came at the first bite..YUM :LOL: We really enjoy it.

kadesma

Finally! A date I can bring home to the family. :LOL:

You know you can count on me for a date joke, kads. :LOL:

mish said:
Finally! A date I can bring home to the family. :LOL:

You know you can count on me for a date joke, kads. :LOL:
Oh lord, Mish what would I do without you..You make me smile. Such a good feeling. Thanks you.
Your date is more than welcome here as long as you're with him.

kadesma:LOL:

The good 'date' would be your sammich. (No more surprises :ROFLMAO: ) TY, kads.

Hey Mish, anytime you're this way, I'll make one for ya :)

kadesma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom