"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 09-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #1
Master Chef

Take that BLT to the Next Level!

I was listening to NPR radio the other day when they were interviewing this lady who specialized in Bahn Me. She said that in Viet Nam, they take the middle out of the bread roll/bun and toast the crust until crispy. The bread must be of the soft, and thin crust variety. They then fill the little bread boats with filling and enjoy. Well, I thought that sounded like a wonderful idea. DW and I have been doing something similar with hamburger buns used for Sloppy joe sandwiches ever since I met her, except that we simply squished the bun centers down so that they would hold more filling.

Tonight, I gave did the test. I fried up 5, yes 5 slices of bacon that I had cut in half so they would fit on the hot dog bun. I used soft, whole grain hot dog buns, hollowed them out, and toasted to crispy up the crust. I spread with Miracle Whip, placed the bacon, then halved tomato slices, and finally lettuce. It made an outstanding BLT, with less carbs, more flavor, and fewer carbs. I'm thinking the only way I could improve this is to make a BLOBLOT - Bacon, Lettuce, onion, black olives, tomato sandwich. Now, say bloblot 5 times quickly.

You could use this hollowed out bun technique with virtually any filling. The sandwich holds together better, with fewer juices escaping, is easy to handle, and makes the filling the star. I don't think I'd do it with a good roast beef sandwich with Au Jus. I'm thinking this would be great with any fillings you might put on a sub, grinder, or hoagie. It might just work with corned beef, sour kraut, and swiss cheese.

Yup, This one has many possibilities.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
Head Chef

Sounds good. I guess you could do the same with a small crusty baguette - for those who like a crunchy crust.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Sounds good. I guess you could do the same with a small crusty baguette - for those who like a crunchy crust.
I enjoy a crunchy crust, when I'm eating bread with a stew or something. But for a sandwich, a toasted baguette might be a little too crunchy and tear up the inside gums, you know, right back behind your teeth. But if you normally use baguettes for sandwiches, then by all means. I could see doing the same thing with English muffins, or a good sourdough as well. Wish I could get sub buns made of rye. That would be tasty.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 09-09-2015, 02:38 AM   #4
Head Chef

I've made lots and lots of BLT's. They're ok, but for some reason, I go to a restaurant and...they make them soooo much better than I can.
No surprise to me as that is what that diner does professionally. They even include a strawberry on the side of the plate which is cool.

I think it's because I use regular head lettuce. Buying leafy romaine lettuce for sandwiches is just too expensive.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #5
Executive Chef

My favorite add is avocado slices. One BLAT to your BLOBLOT, Chief. Cheers!
Old 09-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

BBLT&C! We've been having basil, bacon, lettuce, tomatoes and cheese! Toasted bread and mayo are requirements.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
Master Chef

This thread isn't so much about the BLT, and it's wonderful varieties, but the ability to stick it into a hollowed out sub bun, then toasted. That's the part that's new and a great way to serve any number of sandwich fillings. I tried it. It really works. The BLT was better. If done right, you won't miss the bread.

Oh, and the BLAT, and BBLT&C sandwiches, when I play the flavors in my mind, are great.

Now, we just need to determine the perfect filling for that hollowed sub/hoagie bun. i'm kind of thinking medium rare steak cubes, with steak sauce, shrooms, onions, and either swiss or provolone. Yep, sounds good to me.biggrin:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 09-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
This thread isn't so much about the BLT, and it's wonderful varieties, but the ability to stick it into a hollowed out sub bun, then toasted. That's the part that's new and a great way to serve any number of sandwich fillings. I tried it. It really works. The BLT was better. If done right, you won't miss the bread.
Oh, sorry. I guess we misunderstood the title: "Take that BLT to the Next Level!"

I've been doing that for years using Alton Brown's recipe: Pan Bagnat Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

except that I use roast chicken, Havarti cheese, romaine and Roma tomatoes. The vinaigrette dressing makes it really good. Makes a great picnic sandwich.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I used soft, whole grain hot dog buns, hollowed them out, and toasted to crispy up the crust. I spread with Miracle Whip, placed the bacon, then halved tomato slices, and finally lettuce. It made an outstanding BLT, with less carbs, more flavor, and fewer carbs.
This sounds excellent. I can think of some other options for this as well. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #10
Master Chef

I've cleaned out a channel in sturdy rolls for years, too, GG. Makes sandwiches like bratwurst, Italian sausage, or meatball so much neater. More room to stuff with stuff, too.