Thanksgiving Day sub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
As I said in another thread, I do not cook myself a big dinner on Thanksgiving. I have too much going on to devote time and effort to a traditional dinner. But I do still have to eat :) So maybe it's because I just made a Primanti Bros sandwich last week, but my mind was leaning towards trying to create a Turkey Day sandwich. One with a little bit of everything. And this is what I came up with.

I diced some celery and onion and sauteed them in butter with a little poultry seasoning and some fresh sage.
I also browned some turkey sausage in vegetable oil in another pan. After it was browned I added some chicken stock and covered to simmer.
When the veggies are soft and the sausage is done, remove to a plate, cover and keep warm.

Turn up the heat on the sausage pan, add a flour and milk slurry, some S&P and turn into gravy.
Spoon some stock onto a sub roll to soak into the bread, add some more butter to the veggie pan if necessary and toast the bun.

And of course what's a Thanksgiving Day dinner without some mashed potatoes and gravy...with a veggie. Feel free to substitute sweet potatoes ;)

Spoon the veggies onto the toasted bun. I call this "bun stuffing". Just like stuffing without the cubes :ermm: Sort of. Add a couple turkey sausage links, some mashed potatoes and gravy and there you have it. A Thanksgiving Day sub. Nobody ever accused me of lacking imagination :LOL:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 253
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 292
  • Turkey Day sub.jpg
    Turkey Day sub.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 265
Thanksgiving on a bun. Very creative. Looks like you had to struggle to get that into your mouth.

Thanks guys.

Thanksgiving on a bun. Very creative. Looks like you had to struggle to get that into your mouth.

Andy, that's why I left off the cranberry sauce :angel:
It was doable, but I set it back down and ate it open-faced.

I was looking at the pics in order, and thought hmm, no cranberries. :ohmy: I see by way of explanation you did think about cranberries. Next time. :angel:

Vertical horizontal dinner. Looks good. :yum:

Cranberries?! :ohmy:
The only thing cranberries are good for is mixing their juice with vodka :LOL:
Thanks Whiska ;)

Back
Top Bottom