The Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lytle

Washing Up
I'm a little excited to go grocery shopping tomorrow, I'm gonna pick up the ingredients I don't currently have so I can make tons of steak, chicken, and chicken finger sandwiches whenever I want until I take off from home. Sandwiches are my favorite thing in the world and I have a million and one different types of sandwiches to make through using different meats, aiolis, compound cream cheeses, bacons/cheeses, whatever I got around I can make a sandwich out of it. But here is THE sandwich, my favorite way ever to do a sandwich. It's just absolutely beautiful.

First, you can choose to marinate the steak if you wish, or herb it up any way you want before cooking, or simply season with salt and pepper. My favorite is to use dried thyme, cumin seeds and crushed chili flakes. They are a great blend of spices together.

Have a good bun on hand, just a white bread tuscany bun is my favorite to use. Or baguettes, white or whole wheat are another awesome choice.

So anyway, cut the steak up in to nice little chunks. Pieces you can bite without pulling pieces out leaving parts of just bun. Get a pan nice and hot and start searing to your preferred temp. Halfway through take some reduced balsamic vinegar and drizzle it on, then finish cooking.

In another pan sautee up some onions and red bell peppers. Once they are caramelized, drop in cream cheese and a small bit of cream with it so it melts to a good sauce consistency and doesn't just stick and burn to the pan.

So those are the 2 tricks that really matter. Put the cream cheesed veggies on the bottom of the bun, balsamic steak on top of that, nice strips or breakfast bacon (or any bacon) on top of that and you're set. Lettuce, tomatoes are also always good on there too but not needed for this one. I've had a couple people request pickles, I refuse to do it though, just dont feel it goes with the flavours at all.

This sounds wonderful, Lytle. I often make sandwiches out of leftover steak, but I have never thought of using the balsamic vinegar. I'll definitely try this right away.

This does sound really great. I do like a good steak sandwich and I love balsamic vinegar and cream cheese!

sounds good, lytle. good idea about adding cream, and i agree about the pickles.

i've made similar sammiches, using either goat cheese or boursin. give 'em a try someday, for a change of pace.

sounds good, lytle. good idea about adding cream, and i agree about the pickles.

i've made similar sammiches, using either goat cheese or boursin. give 'em a try someday, for a change of pace.

Ohmygosh, the Borsin makes for an outstanding steak sammie. Pickles are for salami and corned beef sammies, not steak.

Sandwiches are by far one of my favorite things to eat as well. I've been infatuated with them since I was a little kid, and now that I work in a restaurant, it seems that I eat sandwiches more than ever because they're quick and convenient. There's this great little market up here in Tahoe that's about 30 miles from where I live, but I make the trip at least once a week because they have some of the best deli sandwiches around.

Your steak sandwich that you made reminded of something I made a few months ago. I called it the "San Francisco Cheese Steak" because I hollowed out the baguette and stuffed everything inside, much like how they serve clam chowder in a sour dough bowel. Here's a picture:

san-francisco-cheese-steak.jpg

Thank you Earl of Sandwich indeed!
I don't eat a lot of fancy sandwiches, but I do love them in all their incarnations!
Bologna and mustard was my standard lunch as a kid.
Could subsist on food between bread almost exclusively too!

Thank you Lytle - that sounds delicious! I agree about cutting up the meat into tiny chunks - I had pulling out a big slab of meat and having just the bread left. How does your sandwich taste cold?

CJ, I love the idea of the hollowed out bread ... no falling out the sides!

I am not a huge lover of the basic sandwich - love the fillings, just not the bread. But when I took a contract a few years ago to develop a tracking system for a towing company (pre-catering days), I found this little hole-in-the-wall place we nick-named the Crazy Dell. The 2 reasons for this is it had an almost unpronounceable European name and because of the crazy sandwiches they served. They would start with a very fresh foccacia bun and fill it with your choice of 1/2 pound (no kidding) of sliced meat(s). They would layer on cheese of your choice and any other toppings you might like. All this for $3.99. I would buy one and it would be my lunch and supper for the day! Oh, and many of the sausage meats were home made as well as the bread.

Love bread and sandwiches. I'm partial to italian cold cuts. I made a muffaletta a few weeks ago. I made some foccachia dough with garlic & rosemary in a cast iron skillet in my wood fired oven. When it was done I sliced it in half, added some superasata, capicolla, asiago & provolone cheese and a tapenade of italian olives & seasonings I threw in my food processor. This is how it turned out.

img_729893_0_4867793b4a55fc460c8aa011e1335789.jpg

img_729893_1_72162b6b4125ef47e170a7a7930504e9.jpg

It didn't last very long.

Back
Top Bottom