Tuna Salad Sandwich...ingredients.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Since we've discussed deviled eggs at length...what do you use in your tuna salad sandwiches?

I'm making lunch with two cans of Albacore tuna, three chopped hard cooked eggs, chopped celery and two green onions, five pimento stuffed green olives chopped.
Mayo, Dijon mustard, a dab if anchovy paste, a squeeze of fresh lemon, salt and lots of fresh ground pepper.

What's your secret?

Last edited by a moderator:
One can of chunk light tuna (I like the more pronounced flavor), Hellmann's mayonnaise, minced scallions, salt and pepper. Spread onto toasted scali bread and enjoy.

Packet of chunk light tuna in sunflower oil (usually Starkist), sweet pickle relish, Hellmann's low fat mayo, lots of chopped celery, maybe some chopped green onion, fresh ground black pepper. Very nice served with Triscuit.

Last edited:
Funny, I just made tuna salad an hour ago. :)

I used two cans of albacore in olive oil because that's what I had, mixed in some Best Foods mayo, chopped cucumber, green onions, celery, and a hard cooked egg. If my daughter and grandson are here, I add pickle relish because they like it so much in tuna salad, I can go either way.

Tuna salad is one of those things I make differently every time, depending on what veggies I have. Always Best Foods mayo, chopped celery, and chopped egg, though. The kind of tuna doesn't really matter to me, I like them all. :)

I picked up this method from Cooks Illustrated: 2 cans of albacore tuna in water, drained, flaked and spread out into a medium bowl. Sprinkle tuna with seasonings so that all of it is evenly seasoned. I use salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, 2 stalks of small-diced celery, about 2 tbsp. small-diced dill pickles, and 1-2 tsp. fresh lemon juice. Mix that together, add mayonnaise, mix again.

A couple old threads on the subject:

Packet of chunk light tuna in sunflower oil (usually Starkist), sweet pickle relish, Hellmann's low fat mayo, lots of chopped celery, maybe some chopped green onion, fresh ground black pepper. Very nice served with Triscuit.

I love it with Triscuits, too. If I have it, I put a piece of cheese, something mild like Havarti, on the Triscuits and tuna salad on top. One night last week when DH was out of town, I made tuna melts on toasted ciabatta bread for dinner.

When I made tuna salad sandwiches, I used the solid pack, chopped celery, mayo, dab of mustard mix & spread on bread add lettuce and pack for lunch. Have not had a tuna sandwich since we quit carrying lunches while working and going to school. In several decades the desire for a tuna sandwich has not returned.

I like Wild Planet tuna but, other than that, this is pretty much the same recipe I use.

Oh, I stopped eating canned tuna when I earned my M.A. But, we used to make it with

Mayo, celery, hamburger relish, onion, S&P, a dash of soy sauce, and some lemon zest.

I love it with Triscuits, too. If I have it, I put a piece of cheese, something mild like Havarti, on the Triscuits and tuna salad on top. One night last week when DH was out of town, I made tuna melts on toasted ciabatta bread for dinner.

I love tuna melts! That's on the menu for this evening's dinner, since the tuna is already made. :yum: I've got some Havarti to use up too, the bread will be toasted rye.

Love tuna salad on Triscuits, too.

Thank you for posting the older DC links, GG. I never would have seen them. Going to browse through them this afternoon. :)

I add one grated hard boiled per can of drained tuna. It extends the quantity and adds a flavor I enjoy. As for the rest, just mayo and tarragon.

I don't add salt even though I've added the egg. The tuna adds enough salt for me.

for my tuna sammich today, i'm like andy with chunk light for that extra cat food taste (purrrrrr, purrrrr), finely diced celery, and just a little hellman's light mayo.

it must be refrigerated first (i don't like room temp), then served on a crusty sesame hard roll or hero with thinly sliced onion and pickled hot peppers.

Don't eat it often, but when I do it's pretty standard. Tuna, mayo, scallion, finely chopped celery, salt, pepper...

Working in a restaurant for most of my life I may eat lunch at home once a month. Never think about it for supper/dinner.

The standards: tuna (chunk light or solid, depends on what I have on hand), hard-cooked egg (one per can), and Hellman's mayo. Mix-ins: I open the spice cabinet and see what looks good at that moment. Also, might use super-finely minced shallot or thinly sliced scallions, dill, lemon and Colman's mustard, or seasoned salt and pepper, or one of any variation that we've enjoyed.

Tuna albacore or chunk light. Unless it is imported, you can't get tuna in olive oil around here. So always in water, Drain it thoroughly, then add just a small amount of olive oil. Let it sit until the tuna is flavored. Finely diced celery, onion, finely diced Roma tomato, dash of Italian seasoning, S&P, small amount of mayo. If not on a sandwich with lettuce, then stuffed in a scooped out tomato. :angel:

I won't touch canned tuna if it is not packed in olive oil. I make my tuna sandwich spread with fine diced onion and celery, hard boiled eggs, mayo and sweet relish.

Back
Top Bottom