"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 10-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Tuna Salad Sandwich...ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Those morons are idiots. Where do they get off thinking they own the ocean? I'm so glade some of them (those that refer to recreational fishermen as Googans) are loosing their a$$. They deserve nothing less.

Heh. According to Stanford-Binet: In the 1920s, an idiot was defined as a person with an IQ in the range of 0 to 30, an imbecile was a person with an IQ between 30 and 50, while a moron had an IQ between 50 and 70.

Probably not a lot to do with fishing though.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Heh. According to Stanford-Binet: In the 1920s, an idiot was defined as a person with an IQ in the range of 0 to 30, an imbecile was a person with an IQ between 30 and 50, while a moron had an IQ between 50 and 70.

Probably not a lot to do with fishing though.
This isn't the 1920s.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
The brand name is Genova and I have bought it at both Publix and Costco. It is distributed by Chicken of the Sea, San Diego. The tuna is yellow fin. Albacore would be at the bottom of tuna species quality wise. Unless you actually eat bonita.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=genova+tuna+in+olive+oil&tag=goo ghydr-20&index=grocery&hvadid=36286145739&hvpos=1t1&hvex id=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4755167811908890881&hvpone=&hv ptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&
ref=pd_sl_4al8xm5x47_b

There are some offers with free shipping.
My very first deep sea fishing catch was a Bonito on a spinning reel and a medium rod. My arms were so tired i finally had to admit I had never used a deep sea rod before.
I had no idea that Bonito and Albacore had anything in common.
Bonito is a very red colored flesh while the Albacore is very white compared. Are you saying Albacore is Bonito?

We kept Bonito for chum or used the bellies for trolling rigs. Never ate them or threw them back.
Thanks for the link. I should look harder at Costco to see if any are packed in olive oil.
I may have to order some. I don't need that many cans, but I guess they will be good for a very long time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I was watching Wicked Tuna and on one of the poles they caught a bonita. Toss it right back in.
They could have used it for chum instead of using expensive herring chopped up.

Craig. I worked on a deep sea drift boat as a mate in the late 60's and early 70's out of Sunny Isles Marina in N. Miami Beach. 163rd st just west of A1A.
The Barracuda.
We also had our problems with weekend warriors getting to close and messing up our lines.
We had no issue with them following us around for help finding fish. But when you get close enough to tangle us up, we did not appreciate that.
I think the tuna fleet feels the same way.
No problem, just stay far enough away. I had sometime 15 people on that boat to care for. I can tell you, re-rigging their lines because of some dummy running over them, was not appreciated.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Craig. I worked on a deep sea drift boat as a mate in the late 60's and early 70's out of Sunny Isles Marina in N. Miami Beach. 163rd st just west of A1A.
The Barracuda.
We also had our problems with weekend warriors getting to close and messing up our lines.
We had no issue with them following us around for help finding fish. But when you get close enough to tangle us up, we did not appreciate that.
No problem, just stay far enough away. I had sometime 15 people on that boat to care for. I can tell you, re-rigging their lines because of some dummy running over them, was not appreciated.
My second husband was a deep sea fisherman. They are the reason the fleet heads in on a Friday night. At least the boats that are due to come in. If they don't think they can get back in time, they will stay out until late Sunday night. Out of the reach of those "weekend warriors." Just trying to get through a bunch of drunks into the harbor can be very dangerous. After all, who says you have to stay right of the buoys. Certainly not those folks who have been out there all weekend and are too drunk to know that they have a serious sunburn.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
My very first deep sea fishing catch was a Bonito on a spinning reel and a medium rod. My arms were so tired i finally had to admit I had never used a deep sea rod before.
I had no idea that Bonito and Albacore had anything in common.
Bonito is a very red colored flesh while the Albacore is very white compared. Are you saying Albacore is Bonito?

We kept Bonito for chum or used the bellies for trolling rigs. Never ate them or threw them back.
Thanks for the link. I should look harder at Costco to see if any are packed in olive oil.
I may have to order some. I don't need that many cans, but I guess they will be good for a very long time?

They could have used it for chum instead of using expensive herring chopped up.

The Barracuda.
No, albacore is the lowest quality of commercially fished tuna and that bonito would rank lower if they were commercially harvested.

I Captained a 24 passenger dive boat out of Port Everglades in the mid-'80's. That is where my experience with commercial/charter idiots and their lack of respect for the dive flag laws formed my opinion. Had to call the Coasties on several occasions. They feel that they own the ocean and can do whatever they wish. They would troll right through the dive flag floats of the drift divers I had in the water. Even with me running interference with the dive boat, which was also flying the standard and international dive flags. They deserve no more leeway than what is allowed for by Maritime Law, for which they seem to have no knowledge of. I had to pass a rigorous test and log hours of sea time to get my 50 ton, near coastal steam, masters ticket.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

I know that here in Mass. before you can register a boat of ???? feet, you HAVE to take a course given by the Coast Guard. Here in Boston, it is held at their station on Commercial Street in the North End of Boston. If you don't take the course, you can't put your boat in the water. Come the first warm day for boating, the Coast Guard and Harbor Police are all out there looking for violators. And if they see a new face at the helm, you can bet they will be stopped and have to show their papers. If you choose to join a yacht club, they won't accept you without your proper paper work.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:37 PM   #47
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Tuna Salad Sandwiches...
Old 10-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

they're great on everything from cigarette boats, to professional trawlers, to charters, to googans, to dinghies out a'crabbin'.

i think i've been on each one.

but this is about toony sammiches.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:57 AM   #49
Head Chef

After draining the can of water by pressing the opened lid down hard, I found my tuna salad was a bit dry, even after adding lots of mayo. So now I drizzle just a little bit of olive oil in the tuna and the mayo takes to it quicker meaning I can use less mayo.

I much prefer the taste and texture of "white albacore tuna" over "light tuna" which isn't light at all, but rather salmon colored.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:10 AM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
After draining the can of water by pressing the opened lid down hard, I found my tuna salad was a bit dry, even after adding lots of mayo. So now I drizzle just a little bit of olive oil in the tuna and the mayo takes to it quicker meaning I can use less mayo.

I much prefer the taste and texture of "white albacore tuna" over "light tuna" which isn't light at all, but rather salmon colored.
You're right about that Caslon, and I've been using that trick too since oil packed tuna is hard to find, it's a great trick to soak it overnight in the olive oil. I can find little difference from oil packed tuna.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salad, sandwich, tuna