"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,146
Tuna Salad Sandwich...ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Those morons are idiots. Where do they get off thinking they own the ocean? I'm so glade some of them (those that refer to recreational fishermen as Googans) are loosing their a$$. They deserve nothing less.

Heh. According to Stanford-Binet: In the 1920s, an idiot was defined as a person with an IQ in the range of 0 to 30, an imbecile was a person with an IQ between 30 and 50, while a moron had an IQ between 50 and 70.

Probably not a lot to do with fishing though.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #42
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Heh. According to Stanford-Binet: In the 1920s, an idiot was defined as a person with an IQ in the range of 0 to 30, an imbecile was a person with an IQ between 30 and 50, while a moron had an IQ between 50 and 70.

Probably not a lot to do with fishing though.
This isn't the 1920s.
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #43
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
The brand name is Genova and I have bought it at both Publix and Costco. It is distributed by Chicken of the Sea, San Diego. The tuna is yellow fin. Albacore would be at the bottom of tuna species quality wise. Unless you actually eat bonita.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=genova+tuna+in+olive+oil&tag=goo ghydr-20&index=grocery&hvadid=36286145739&hvpos=1t1&hvex id=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4755167811908890881&hvpone=&hv ptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&
ref=pd_sl_4al8xm5x47_b

There are some offers with free shipping.
My very first deep sea fishing catch was a Bonito on a spinning reel and a medium rod. My arms were so tired i finally had to admit I had never used a deep sea rod before.
I had no idea that Bonito and Albacore had anything in common.
Bonito is a very red colored flesh while the Albacore is very white compared. Are you saying Albacore is Bonito?

We kept Bonito for chum or used the bellies for trolling rigs. Never ate them or threw them back.
Thanks for the link. I should look harder at Costco to see if any are packed in olive oil.
I may have to order some. I don't need that many cans, but I guess they will be good for a very long time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I was watching Wicked Tuna and on one of the poles they caught a bonita. Toss it right back in.
They could have used it for chum instead of using expensive herring chopped up.

Craig. I worked on a deep sea drift boat as a mate in the late 60's and early 70's out of Sunny Isles Marina in N. Miami Beach. 163rd st just west of A1A.
The Barracuda.
We also had our problems with weekend warriors getting to close and messing up our lines.
We had no issue with them following us around for help finding fish. But when you get close enough to tangle us up, we did not appreciate that.
I think the tuna fleet feels the same way.
No problem, just stay far enough away. I had sometime 15 people on that boat to care for. I can tell you, re-rigging their lines because of some dummy running over them, was not appreciated.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Craig. I worked on a deep sea drift boat as a mate in the late 60's and early 70's out of Sunny Isles Marina in N. Miami Beach. 163rd st just west of A1A.
The Barracuda.
We also had our problems with weekend warriors getting to close and messing up our lines.
We had no issue with them following us around for help finding fish. But when you get close enough to tangle us up, we did not appreciate that.
I think the tuna fleet feels the same way.
No problem, just stay far enough away. I had sometime 15 people on that boat to care for. I can tell you, re-rigging their lines because of some dummy running over them, was not appreciated.
My second husband was a deep sea fisherman. They are the reason the fleet heads in on a Friday night. At least the boats that are due to come in. If they don't think they can get back in time, they will stay out until late Sunday night. Out of the reach of those "weekend warriors." Just trying to get through a bunch of drunks into the harbor can be very dangerous. After all, who says you have to stay right of the buoys. Certainly not those folks who have been out there all weekend and are too drunk to know that they have a serious sunburn.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #45
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
My very first deep sea fishing catch was a Bonito on a spinning reel and a medium rod. My arms were so tired i finally had to admit I had never used a deep sea rod before.
I had no idea that Bonito and Albacore had anything in common.
Bonito is a very red colored flesh while the Albacore is very white compared. Are you saying Albacore is Bonito?

We kept Bonito for chum or used the bellies for trolling rigs. Never ate them or threw them back.
Thanks for the link. I should look harder at Costco to see if any are packed in olive oil.
I may have to order some. I don't need that many cans, but I guess they will be good for a very long time?



They could have used it for chum instead of using expensive herring chopped up.

Craig. I worked on a deep sea drift boat as a mate in the late 60's and early 70's out of Sunny Isles Marina in N. Miami Beach. 163rd st just west of A1A.
The Barracuda.
We also had our problems with weekend warriors getting to close and messing up our lines.
We had no issue with them following us around for help finding fish. But when you get close enough to tangle us up, we did not appreciate that.
I think the tuna fleet feels the same way.
No problem, just stay far enough away. I had sometime 15 people on that boat to care for. I can tell you, re-rigging their lines because of some dummy running over them, was not appreciated.
No, albacore is the lowest quality of commercially fished tuna and that bonito would rank lower if they were commercially harvested.

I Captained a 24 passenger dive boat out of Port Everglades in the mid-'80's. That is where my experience with commercial/charter idiots and their lack of respect for the dive flag laws formed my opinion. Had to call the Coasties on several occasions. They feel that they own the ocean and can do whatever they wish. They would troll right through the dive flag floats of the drift divers I had in the water. Even with me running interference with the dive boat, which was also flying the standard and international dive flags. They deserve no more leeway than what is allowed for by Maritime Law, for which they seem to have no knowledge of. I had to pass a rigorous test and log hours of sea time to get my 50 ton, near coastal steam, masters ticket.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
I know that here in Mass. before you can register a boat of ???? feet, you HAVE to take a course given by the Coast Guard. Here in Boston, it is held at their station on Commercial Street in the North End of Boston. If you don't take the course, you can't put your boat in the water. Come the first warm day for boating, the Coast Guard and Harbor Police are all out there looking for violators. And if they see a new face at the helm, you can bet they will be stopped and have to show their papers. If you choose to join a yacht club, they won't accept you without your proper paper work.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:37 PM   #47
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,310
Tuna Salad Sandwiches...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,782
they're great on everything from cigarette boats, to professional trawlers, to charters, to googans, to dinghies out a'crabbin'.

i think i've been on each one.

but this is about toony sammiches.
__________________
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown,
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:57 AM   #49
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,708
After draining the can of water by pressing the opened lid down hard, I found my tuna salad was a bit dry, even after adding lots of mayo. So now I drizzle just a little bit of olive oil in the tuna and the mayo takes to it quicker meaning I can use less mayo.

I much prefer the taste and texture of "white albacore tuna" over "light tuna" which isn't light at all, but rather salmon colored.
__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:10 AM   #50
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
After draining the can of water by pressing the opened lid down hard, I found my tuna salad was a bit dry, even after adding lots of mayo. So now I drizzle just a little bit of olive oil in the tuna and the mayo takes to it quicker meaning I can use less mayo.

I much prefer the taste and texture of "white albacore tuna" over "light tuna" which isn't light at all, but rather salmon colored.
You're right about that Caslon, and I've been using that trick too since oil packed tuna is hard to find, it's a great trick to soak it overnight in the olive oil. I can find little difference from oil packed tuna.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
salad, sandwich, tuna

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.