"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 10-06-2014, 04:19 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

I also occasionally buy a small piece of fresh tuna, sauté it until it is cooked thoroughly, flake it and then do the same with the olive oil. I do prefer the Greek or Spanish oil as they are less bitter than the Italian ones. I do like a small clove of garlic sautéed with the tuna fillet. This method is excellent if you are making tuna salad for a lot of people. Then you can stuff it into a scooped out tomato served on a lettuce leaf. Considering that each can of tuna is about 5oz., I ask for a piece that is 5 to 6oz. Just enough for one person.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
No, albacore is the lowest quality of commercially fished tuna and that bonito would rank lower if they were commercially harvested.

I Captained a 24 passenger dive boat out of Port Everglades in the mid-'80's. That is where my experience with commercial/charter idiots and their lack of respect for the dive flag laws formed my opinion. Had to call the Coasties on several occasions. They feel that they own the ocean and can do whatever they wish. They would troll right through the dive flag floats of the drift divers I had in the water. Even with me running interference with the dive boat, which was also flying the standard and international dive flags. They deserve no more leeway than what is allowed for by Maritime Law, for which they seem to have no knowledge of. I had to pass a rigorous test and log hours of sea time to get my 50 ton, near coastal steam, masters ticket.
And Albacore is the most expensive of the canned tuna. What gives?

In the couple years I worked on the drift boat, I saw exactly one diver.
Maybe it was location?
We did not fish as far out as some boats do. We could catch plenty King fish within 3 miles from shore.
That was our main catch.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #53
Everymom

You know, I've never had oil packed tuna. I've only ever had the water packed stuff. Good tip with the olive oil guys, thanks.

I'm a bit of a minimalist I guess. We don't eat tuna sandwiches very often, but when we do I chop some dill pickle and celery in with the tuna, s&p and then just enough mayo to make the tuna stick together a bit. We often spread this on a tortilla, roll it and wrap it in plastic wrap then slice pinwheels for an appy tray.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
No, albacore is the lowest quality of commercially fished tuna and that bonito would rank lower if they were commercially harvested.
Wrong. Albacore from which most canned tuna labeled as "white meat tuna" is made from has the highest level of omega-3 fatty acids needed for good heart health, brain function and normal growth and development. Most canned tuna labeled "light tuna" is from skipjack tuna and has less omega-3 fatty acids.

References:
National Marine Fisheries Service, Fisheries of the United States, 2010.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Wrong. Albacore from which most canned tuna labeled as "white meat tuna" is made from has the highest level of omega-3 fatty acids needed for good heart health, brain function and normal growth and development. Most canned tuna labeled "light tuna" is from skipjack tuna and has less omega-3 fatty acids.

References:
National Marine Fisheries Service, Fisheries of the United States, 2010.
What does that have to do with the quality of the fish, as in texture and taste? Yellowfin is a much better quality tuna.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
What does that have to do with the quality of the fish, as in texture and taste? Yellowfin is a much better quality tuna.
Maybe that's true for fresh tuna. I'm pretty happy with the texture and taste of canned albacore tuna. They're different products for different purposes.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #57
Head Chef

Quote:
Who makes tuna salad sandwiches with yellowfin tuna, which is the topic of discussion here? I'd say oh...about 99% of people make tuna fish sandwiches from canned tuna and canned tuna is made from albacore or skipjack tuna.

Oh and by the way, bluefin tuna is the most expensive to buy on the market, according to the US Dept of Fisheries, but I digress from the original topic, tuna salad sandwiches.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #58
Master Chef

I also prefer the white Albacore tuna for it's appearance and texture, although I like the light tuna because it's more flavorful. That's why I add some anchovy paste to the dressing mixture.
Works out great..

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Who makes tuna salad sandwiches with yellowfin tuna, which is the topic of discussion here? I'd say oh...about 99% of people make tuna fish sandwiches from canned tuna and canned tuna is made from albacore or skipjack tuna.

Oh and by the way, bluefin tuna is the most expensive to buy on the market, according to the US Dept of Fisheries, but I digress from the original topic, tuna salad sandwiches.
The tuna in olive oil I buy is yellowfin. Would you like me to take a picture for you? Then why did you take it back off topic again?

GG, like Poppa John says, better ingredients, better pizza!

Before anyone else brings up the quality of albacore, have you actually had yellowfin packed in olive oil?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Oh, I stopped eating canned tuna when I earned my M.A. But, we used to make it with

Mayo, celery, hamburger relish, onion, S&P, a dash of soy sauce, and some lemon zest.
I look on canned tuna as my penance. I only eat it when I'm trying to lose weight. I like fresh though.

Anyway, the self-denial is paying off. I've lost 4.5lbs in 3 weeks. Doing it slowly because at my age skin doesn't keep up with more drastic fat loss!

Tags
salad, sandwich, tuna