"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 10-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #71
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Trader Joe's has yellowfin packed in olive oil and at a good price. I just used up my last can a couple of days ago, so I don't have the label to read about any info. It's good plain, but by the time I mix it with mayo, chopped eggs, and other goodies it's hard to tell the difference between that and other kinds of tuna. IMO. LOL
Leave it to Trader Joes Cheryl !! I've never even looked at their tuna, but I sure will this week. Thanks for the tip!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #72
Master Chef

It's kinda like trying to herd cats PF. Ironic the subject is tuna.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #73
Master Chef

Albacore in Water drained and flaked, ONLY Hellmann's mayonnaise will do, minced fine yellow onion (green onion if I have any), minced fine celery, paprika (sweet & hot), cayenne, ground sea salt and ground pepper; sometimes a splash of white vinegar. I add other stuff sometimes to experiment. I love tuna added to mac salad I guess that would be tuna mac salad LOL).
Old 10-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #74
Head Chef

Solid or chunk albacore tuna fish in those little 3 oz cans. Some chopped celery (natch), just a few pieces of chopped green onion, just a few small pieces of diced bell pepper (if it's on hand), a sprinkle of sugar, a sprinkle of pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, mayo. If I'm real hungry I'll dice a hard boiled egg into it. All on lightly toasted white bread.

When I'm in a hurry or bare minimum ingredients on hand, it's tuna, mayo, a dab of sweet relish mixed in, on toast.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #75
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Leave it to Trader Joes Cheryl !! I've never even looked at their tuna, but I sure will this week. Thanks for the tip!
You're most welcome, Kay.
BTW, their yellowfin is packaged in yellow labeled cans, so it's easy to spot.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #76
Head Chef

$3.67 a can for yellowfin tuna, I'll have to try it. . By the way, that sized can has more tuna in it for more than just one sammie, but I'll buy a can and put the rest in the fridge or make a bowl full of tuna salad and put it in the fridge.

Is it really that much better tasting? Albacore has more omega-3 fatty acids (a good thing).
Maybe it has less mercury, eheh.

I don't like "light tuna." From what I understand it's made from skipjack tuna. Anyways, I don't like the texture, the color, nor the taste of so called "chunk light tuna." It's less expensive tho.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

smaller, younger fish = less mercury.

therefore, skipjack is better for you. bigger tunas build up their heavy metals as they eat and grow.

like to 11.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:08 AM   #78
Master Chef

This thread caused me to have a tuna salad pita sandwich for supper tonight. Besides Hellman's I included: celery, egg, a few capers, Lawry's, Colman's mustard, tabasco sauce, chives.

I had used solid albacore for salad because. Probably because that's how I always did it. When Himself was laid off in late 2011, I figured I'd go with chunk light. Didn't take me long to avoid Charlie the Tuna. His was a lot of water and no real chunks. Just shreds. My latest batch of sale cans was a really good deal on Chicken of the Sea. It's always been good. Until now. This batch of cans has NO chunks. As in, the cat food I bought for my late kitty had more texture than this sludge. I'll use up what I have because I have it. But in my last few years of shopping around, I've found the house brand tunas to be better than the big brands.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:19 AM   #79
Head Chef

As long as we're on tuna sandwiches...what's that Mexican combo of spiced carrots and other vegetables that Mexicans add to tuna?

Years ago, a customer of mine made it while I was working for them, but now I can't remember the jar of mexican veggies that he made it with.

Anyways, it was actually quite jazzy good. You don't make it to spread on bread as a sandwich, but rather, you mix it up with tuna fish to spread on toast or crackers.

He made it up as sort of a snack kinda thing and we had so much of it that I had to tell him I was having dinner in an hour and had to decline finishing it off. I have to say...it was pretty tasty good.

It's a well known Mexican combination of spicy hot vegetable that you can buy in a jar and you mix it with tuna fish. I'm sure someone here knows what I'm talking about. It's not that hard to locate in stores either. It comes in a liquid filled jar. Mexican tuna fish.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:21 AM   #80
Master Chef

Sofrito?

Tags
salad, sandwich, tuna