Tuna Salad Sandwich...ingredients.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cheap tuna in water, a dab of mayo, onions, celery or celery seed, black pepper and some chopped red bell pepper if I have it.

These days, with the size of the cans shrinking, my tuna salad is more like a crunchy vegetable salad. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I am a simple man.
I prefer solid tuna and mayo. That's it.

Here is a video made by David Rosengarten on the tuna salad sandwich.
Now, I will not comment on Mr. Rosengarten choice of mayo..to each his own, I reckon.
I will say that I have always been a fan of Mr. Rosengarten from way back in the early days of the Food Network when he hosted a show called simply "Taste."
Proust & Me: The Tuna Salad Sandwich

I like David also. I remember when he had his two little girls on and they were sitting on a sheet on the floor with huge bibs on, eating pomegranates. They were covered in red and just having a ball. All the time they were eating, David was showing how to open one and get the seeds out. The problem, the camera kept cutting to the girls. They were more fun to watch. He finally gave up and sat down with them and started to dig in with them. :angel:

Hoot, I feel like I was a peeping tom watching his tuna-gasm.

I see nothing wrong with his choice of mayonnaise.

Hoot, I feel like I was a peeping tom watching his tuna-gasm.

I see nothing wrong with his choice of mayonnaise.

For me, I prefer Caines. (a local brand) I also used to love their potato chips. You could count of finding a few burnt ones. When they were in Cambridge, I went there once and got a five pound can for a birthday party. We were eating chips for months. And it was so worth it! :angel:

When I was apprenticing at a corporate catering business I was put on the sandwich station for awhile. This was one of the busiest jobs because a lot of our business was for lunches. My boss was very particular about her tuna salad mixture. It couldn't be too wet or dry - just the right amount of mayo. We made huge batches every day and you had to get it just right.

She added onion, salt, pepper, lemon juice, mustard, hot sauce and Worcestershire to it. Then it was layered with lettuce, tomato, pickles and more S&P. To be honest I thought this took away from the tuna but it was a popular sandwich.

When I make tuna salad for TB, I add some of his eggless soy free mayo (tastes surprisingly good), green onion and dill (fresh when I can). Oh and a little salt and pepper just because he likes it that way.

When we were eating regular mayo I usually tried to make my own. It doesn't last long but is oh so good.

Last edited:
Master of Arts degree--when I stopped being a poor student living on KD, raman noodles, and canned tuna.
I guess I've never put the two together. I've never eaten Ramen noodles, nor have I ever been a fan of boxed dinners. So those weren't foods I ate in college. However, even at this stage in my life where I make a decent salary, I still enjoy canned tuna now and again.

Of course I'm much fussier now, and the upscale stuff I buy these days is $5.99 a can (being sustainable, green, earth friendly, dolphin safe, swimming in omega-3s and all that rigamarole), so to make up a decent sized batch of Tuna Salad is probably somewhere around the $14-16 price range when all is said and done. Not exactly cheap food. But I will admit it tastes better than the chicken-of-the-sea bargain cans I used to buy.

Last edited:
The video reminded me of when I was a kid.

I used to put a layer potato chips on the tuna before putting the top slice of supermarket white bread on the sandwich and mashing it down. It provided some crunch and of course an extra vegetable! Then I cut the sandwich corner to corner, never down the middle.

I guess I've always been a gourmet! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Okay

I do "tuna salad" two ways,
the first way is 'the local way' in Hawaii

Hawaii May 2012 212.jpg

Coral Brand tuna, with that PUUUURRRR-fect tuna flavor and GOBS and I mean a boat load of mayonnaise (we love our mayo in the Islands :)), that's it, spread it on some fluffy white bread and pack up the cooler for the BEACH!!!

The second recipe is for a more complex salad

tune salad sammies 005.JPG

This is delicious!
Now I buy Chicken of the sea solid white albacore in water at Costco, very fair price.
We have this on Trader Joe's Pita Bites crackers, MMM!

I do not like anything in my tuna. Mayo only + Salt. Subway makes absolutely perfect tuna salad over my taste.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

it must be refrigerated first (i don't like room temp), then served on a crusty sesame hard roll or hero with thinly sliced onion and pickled hot peppers.

Same here. Must be cold. If the tuna is in water (not my fav) the can goes into the fridge the night before i make it for lunch.
If its in oil, I make the salad and chill.
All the additions are cold too.
Oh....I also drain it in a strainer in the fridge for several hours. Then squeeze it in paper towels to make certain all the water is out. With oil, this extra attention would not be required.

I won't touch canned tuna if it is not packed in olive oil. I make my tuna sandwich spread with fine diced onion and celery, hard boiled eggs, mayo and sweet relish.

Craig. Where do you get yours? I have been lucky a few times at Publix, but it was not olive oil. It was vegetable oil.
I have not had any packed in olive oil since childhood. (thanks to all of you health food nuts) Its hard to find tuna in any kind of oil in this area.
I make mine the same way you do except i rarely add eggs.
My mother always put eggs in hers.

Last edited:
The brand name is Genova and I have bought it at both Publix and Costco. It is distributed by Chicken of the Sea, San Diego. The tuna is yellow fin. Albacore would be at the bottom of tuna species quality wise. Unless you actually eat bonita.;)

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=genova+tuna+in+olive+oil&tag=googhydr-20&index=grocery&hvadid=36286145739&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4755167811908890881&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&
ref=pd_sl_4al8xm5x47_b

There are some offers with free shipping.

Last edited:
i've eaten bonito before. both fresh and dried. i thought it was pretty good.

my cats go nuts for dried, shaved bonito.

and you can't make dashi unless you have bonito. ok, well you could just use dried shrimp, but it's not as good.

i've eaten bonito before. both fresh and dried. i thought it was pretty good.

my cats go nuts for dried, shaved bonito.

and you can't make dashi unless you have bonito. ok, well you could just use dried shrimp, but it's not as good.
I keep bonito on hand. I use it as a "finishing salt" type of topping when I make Japanese dishes.

Must be a cold water vs warm water thing, like with bluefish. Nobody I know of eats either down here.

I was watching Wicked Tuna and on one of the poles they caught a bonita. Toss it right back in. :angel:

Those morons are idiots. Where do they get off thinking they own the ocean? I'm so glade some of them (those that refer to recreational fishermen as Googans) are loosing their a$$. They deserve nothing less.:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom