Tuna Salad Sandwich...ingredients.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those morons are idiots. Where do they get off thinking they own the ocean? I'm so glade some of them (those that refer to recreational fishermen as Googans) are loosing their a$$. They deserve nothing less.:ROFLMAO:

Heh. According to Stanford-Binet: In the 1920s, an idiot was defined as a person with an IQ in the range of 0 to 30, an imbecile was a person with an IQ between 30 and 50, while a moron had an IQ between 50 and 70.

Probably not a lot to do with fishing though.

Last edited:
Heh. According to Stanford-Binet: In the 1920s, an idiot was defined as a person with an IQ in the range of 0 to 30, an imbecile was a person with an IQ between 30 and 50, while a moron had an IQ between 50 and 70.

Probably not a lot to do with fishing though.

This isn't the 1920s.:rolleyes:

The brand name is Genova and I have bought it at both Publix and Costco. It is distributed by Chicken of the Sea, San Diego. The tuna is yellow fin. Albacore would be at the bottom of tuna species quality wise. Unless you actually eat bonita.;)

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=genova+tuna+in+olive+oil&tag=googhydr-20&index=grocery&hvadid=36286145739&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4755167811908890881&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&
ref=pd_sl_4al8xm5x47_b

There are some offers with free shipping.

My very first deep sea fishing catch was a Bonito on a spinning reel and a medium rod. My arms were so tired i finally had to admit I had never used a deep sea rod before.
I had no idea that Bonito and Albacore had anything in common.
Bonito is a very red colored flesh while the Albacore is very white compared. Are you saying Albacore is Bonito?

We kept Bonito for chum or used the bellies for trolling rigs. Never ate them or threw them back.
Thanks for the link. I should look harder at Costco to see if any are packed in olive oil.
I may have to order some. I don't need that many cans, but I guess they will be good for a very long time?

I was watching Wicked Tuna and on one of the poles they caught a bonita. Toss it right back in. :angel:

They could have used it for chum instead of using expensive herring chopped up.

Craig. I worked on a deep sea drift boat as a mate in the late 60's and early 70's out of Sunny Isles Marina in N. Miami Beach. 163rd st just west of A1A.
The Barracuda.
We also had our problems with weekend warriors getting to close and messing up our lines.
We had no issue with them following us around for help finding fish. But when you get close enough to tangle us up, we did not appreciate that.
I think the tuna fleet feels the same way.
No problem, just stay far enough away. I had sometime 15 people on that boat to care for. I can tell you, re-rigging their lines because of some dummy running over them, was not appreciated.

Craig. I worked on a deep sea drift boat as a mate in the late 60's and early 70's out of Sunny Isles Marina in N. Miami Beach. 163rd st just west of A1A.
The Barracuda.
We also had our problems with weekend warriors getting to close and messing up our lines.
We had no issue with them following us around for help finding fish. But when you get close enough to tangle us up, we did not appreciate that.
No problem, just stay far enough away. I had sometime 15 people on that boat to care for. I can tell you, re-rigging their lines because of some dummy running over them, was not appreciated.

My second husband was a deep sea fisherman. They are the reason the fleet heads in on a Friday night. At least the boats that are due to come in. If they don't think they can get back in time, they will stay out until late Sunday night. Out of the reach of those "weekend warriors." Just trying to get through a bunch of drunks into the harbor can be very dangerous. After all, who says you have to stay right of the buoys. Certainly not those folks who have been out there all weekend and are too drunk to know that they have a serious sunburn. :angel:

My very first deep sea fishing catch was a Bonito on a spinning reel and a medium rod. My arms were so tired i finally had to admit I had never used a deep sea rod before.
I had no idea that Bonito and Albacore had anything in common.
Bonito is a very red colored flesh while the Albacore is very white compared. Are you saying Albacore is Bonito?

We kept Bonito for chum or used the bellies for trolling rigs. Never ate them or threw them back.
Thanks for the link. I should look harder at Costco to see if any are packed in olive oil.
I may have to order some. I don't need that many cans, but I guess they will be good for a very long time?

They could have used it for chum instead of using expensive herring chopped up.

The Barracuda.

No, albacore is the lowest quality of commercially fished tuna and that bonito would rank lower if they were commercially harvested.

I Captained a 24 passenger dive boat out of Port Everglades in the mid-'80's. That is where my experience with commercial/charter idiots and their lack of respect for the dive flag laws formed my opinion. Had to call the Coasties on several occasions. They feel that they own the ocean and can do whatever they wish. They would troll right through the dive flag floats of the drift divers I had in the water. Even with me running interference with the dive boat, which was also flying the standard and international dive flags. They deserve no more leeway than what is allowed for by Maritime Law, for which they seem to have no knowledge of. I had to pass a rigorous test and log hours of sea time to get my 50 ton, near coastal steam, masters ticket.

I know that here in Mass. before you can register a boat of ???? feet, you HAVE to take a course given by the Coast Guard. Here in Boston, it is held at their station on Commercial Street in the North End of Boston. If you don't take the course, you can't put your boat in the water. Come the first warm day for boating, the Coast Guard and Harbor Police are all out there looking for violators. And if they see a new face at the helm, you can bet they will be stopped and have to show their papers. If you choose to join a yacht club, they won't accept you without your proper paper work. :angel:

they're great on everything from cigarette boats, to professional trawlers, to charters, to googans, to dinghies out a'crabbin'.

i think i've been on each one.

but this is about toony sammiches.

Last edited:
After draining the can of water by pressing the opened lid down hard, I found my tuna salad was a bit dry, even after adding lots of mayo. So now I drizzle just a little bit of olive oil in the tuna and the mayo takes to it quicker meaning I can use less mayo.

I much prefer the taste and texture of "white albacore tuna" over "light tuna" which isn't light at all, but rather salmon colored.

Last edited:
After draining the can of water by pressing the opened lid down hard, I found my tuna salad was a bit dry, even after adding lots of mayo. So now I drizzle just a little bit of olive oil in the tuna and the mayo takes to it quicker meaning I can use less mayo.

I much prefer the taste and texture of "white albacore tuna" over "light tuna" which isn't light at all, but rather salmon colored.

You're right about that Caslon, and I've been using that trick too since oil packed tuna is hard to find, it's a great trick to soak it overnight in the olive oil. I can find little difference from oil packed tuna.

I also occasionally buy a small piece of fresh tuna, sauté it until it is cooked thoroughly, flake it and then do the same with the olive oil. I do prefer the Greek or Spanish oil as they are less bitter than the Italian ones. I do like a small clove of garlic sautéed with the tuna fillet. This method is excellent if you are making tuna salad for a lot of people. Then you can stuff it into a scooped out tomato served on a lettuce leaf. Considering that each can of tuna is about 5oz., I ask for a piece that is 5 to 6oz. Just enough for one person. :angel:

No, albacore is the lowest quality of commercially fished tuna and that bonito would rank lower if they were commercially harvested.

I Captained a 24 passenger dive boat out of Port Everglades in the mid-'80's. That is where my experience with commercial/charter idiots and their lack of respect for the dive flag laws formed my opinion. Had to call the Coasties on several occasions. They feel that they own the ocean and can do whatever they wish. They would troll right through the dive flag floats of the drift divers I had in the water. Even with me running interference with the dive boat, which was also flying the standard and international dive flags. They deserve no more leeway than what is allowed for by Maritime Law, for which they seem to have no knowledge of. I had to pass a rigorous test and log hours of sea time to get my 50 ton, near coastal steam, masters ticket.

And Albacore is the most expensive of the canned tuna. What gives?

In the couple years I worked on the drift boat, I saw exactly one diver.
Maybe it was location?
We did not fish as far out as some boats do. We could catch plenty King fish within 3 miles from shore.
That was our main catch.

You know, I've never had oil packed tuna. I've only ever had the water packed stuff. Good tip with the olive oil guys, thanks.

I'm a bit of a minimalist I guess. We don't eat tuna sandwiches very often, but when we do I chop some dill pickle and celery in with the tuna, s&p and then just enough mayo to make the tuna stick together a bit. We often spread this on a tortilla, roll it and wrap it in plastic wrap then slice pinwheels for an appy tray.

Wrong. Albacore from which most canned tuna labeled as "white meat tuna" is made from has the highest level of omega-3 fatty acids needed for good heart health, brain function and normal growth and development. Most canned tuna labeled "light tuna" is from skipjack tuna and has less omega-3 fatty acids.

References:
National Marine Fisheries Service, Fisheries of the United States, 2010.

Last edited:
Wrong. Albacore from which most canned tuna labeled as "white meat tuna" is made from has the highest level of omega-3 fatty acids needed for good heart health, brain function and normal growth and development. Most canned tuna labeled "light tuna" is from skipjack tuna and has less omega-3 fatty acids.

References:
National Marine Fisheries Service, Fisheries of the United States, 2010.

What does that have to do with the quality of the fish, as in texture and taste? Yellowfin is a much better quality tuna.

What does that have to do with the quality of the fish, as in texture and taste? Yellowfin is a much better quality tuna.

Maybe that's true for fresh tuna. I'm pretty happy with the texture and taste of canned albacore tuna. They're different products for different purposes.

Who makes tuna salad sandwiches with yellowfin tuna, which is the topic of discussion here? I'd say oh...about 99% of people make tuna fish sandwiches from canned tuna and canned tuna is made from albacore or skipjack tuna.

Oh and by the way, bluefin tuna is the most expensive to buy on the market, according to the US Dept of Fisheries, but I digress from the original topic, tuna salad sandwiches.

Last edited:
I also prefer the white Albacore tuna for it's appearance and texture, although I like the light tuna because it's more flavorful. That's why I add some anchovy paste to the dressing mixture.
Works out great.. :yum:

Who makes tuna salad sandwiches with yellowfin tuna, which is the topic of discussion here? I'd say oh...about 99% of people make tuna fish sandwiches from canned tuna and canned tuna is made from albacore or skipjack tuna.

Oh and by the way, bluefin tuna is the most expensive to buy on the market, according to the US Dept of Fisheries, but I digress from the original topic, tuna salad sandwiches.

The tuna in olive oil I buy is yellowfin.:rolleyes: Would you like me to take a picture for you? Then why did you take it back off topic again?;)

GG, like Poppa John says, better ingredients, better pizza!;)

Before anyone else brings up the quality of albacore, have you actually had yellowfin packed in olive oil?

Last edited:
Oh, I stopped eating canned tuna when I earned my M.A. But, we used to make it with

Mayo, celery, hamburger relish, onion, S&P, a dash of soy sauce, and some lemon zest.
I look on canned tuna as my penance. I only eat it when I'm trying to lose weight. I like fresh though.

Anyway, the self-denial is paying off. I've lost 4.5lbs in 3 weeks. Doing it slowly because at my age skin doesn't keep up with more drastic fat loss!

Back
Top Bottom