Tuna Salad Sandwich...ingredients.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also prefer the white Albacore tuna for it's appearance and texture, although I like the light tuna because it's more flavorful. That's why I add some anchovy paste to the dressing mixture.
Works out great.. :yum:
You might like to reconsider this. Atlantic Albacore, like Bluefin tuna in both the Atlantic and the Pacific, is seriously overfished and likely to become endangered within a very short period.

And Albacore is the most expensive of the canned tuna. What gives?

In the couple years I worked on the drift boat, I saw exactly one diver.
Maybe it was location?
We did not fish as far out as some boats do. We could catch plenty King fish within 3 miles from shore.
That was our main catch.
Albacore is seriously overfished so becoming scarce which is probably why it's expensive.

I don't like Papa John's. Yuck.

It's a saying and you didn't answer his question in the same post. You can't make a comparison unless you've actually tried both. And, just FYI, I don't like canned tuna, just fresh and even that JUST and only in a few preparations!

Kayelle: No, go back a page and look at the posts.

Last edited:
And Albacore is the most expensive of the canned tuna. What gives?

In the couple years I worked on the drift boat, I saw exactly one diver.
Maybe it was location?
We did not fish as far out as some boats do. We could catch plenty King fish within 3 miles from shore.
That was our main catch.

When we were diving, we didn't go nearly that far off shore. You don't need to for lobster hunting or spear fishing with SCUBA. BUT, plenty of times when we were diving in the last few years, we'd hear and SEE boats flat out flying overhead even though we were within the 300' feet of the flag on the boat. I actually hated to surface if we weren't at the anchor line or close to it and even then on weekends sometimes it was dicey as far as I was concerned. Fortunately, for my safety, Craig usually did it to check our position relative to the boat even though I hated him doing it as well.

Last edited:
Trader Joe's has yellowfin packed in olive oil and at a good price. I just used up my last can a couple of days ago, so I don't have the label to read about any info. It's good plain, but by the time I mix it with mayo, chopped eggs, and other goodies it's hard to tell the difference between that and other kinds of tuna. IMO. LOL :)

It's a saying and you didn't answer his question in the same post. You can't make a comparison unless you've actually tried both. And, just FYI, I don't like canned tuna, just fresh and even that JUST and only in a few preparations!

Kayelle: No, go back a page and look at the posts.

Um, I didn't realize I was obligated to answer questions. I like fresh tuna simply prepared - seared outside and rare inside - so I can taste the tuna itself, so I wouldn't use yellowfin for tuna salad. YMMV, of course. Doesn't mean everyone has to follow your lead.

Last edited:
When my kids were small and preferred to brown bag it to school, they liked the chunk light tuna. Other than onions and garlic, I would try to get as many different leftover cooked veggies into it. It was always different. But the kids loved it. I was even able to sneak in unloved veggies. A piece of lettuce on the bottom and top kept the bread from getting soggy. Two sandwiches on Italian bread along with a quarter to pick up a couple of milks, and they were full and satisfied. The protein will always leave you feeling satisfied and full.

Trader Joe's has yellowfin packed in olive oil and at a good price. I just used up my last can a couple of days ago, so I don't have the label to read about any info. It's good plain, but by the time I mix it with mayo, chopped eggs, and other goodies it's hard to tell the difference between that and other kinds of tuna. IMO. LOL :)

Leave it to Trader Joes Cheryl !! I've never even looked at their tuna, but I sure will this week. Thanks for the tip!

Albacore in Water drained and flaked, ONLY Hellmann's mayonnaise will do, minced fine yellow onion (green onion if I have any), minced fine celery, paprika (sweet & hot), cayenne, ground sea salt and ground pepper; sometimes a splash of white vinegar. I add other stuff sometimes to experiment. I love tuna added to mac salad I guess that would be tuna mac salad LOL).

Solid or chunk albacore tuna fish in those little 3 oz cans. Some chopped celery (natch), just a few pieces of chopped green onion, just a few small pieces of diced bell pepper (if it's on hand), a sprinkle of sugar, a sprinkle of pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, mayo. If I'm real hungry I'll dice a hard boiled egg into it. All on lightly toasted white bread.

When I'm in a hurry or bare minimum ingredients on hand, it's tuna, mayo, a dab of sweet relish mixed in, on toast.

Last edited:
Leave it to Trader Joes Cheryl !! I've never even looked at their tuna, but I sure will this week. Thanks for the tip!

You're most welcome, Kay. :)
BTW, their yellowfin is packaged in yellow labeled cans, so it's easy to spot. :LOL:

$3.67 a can for yellowfin tuna, I'll have to try it. . By the way, that sized can has more tuna in it for more than just one sammie, but I'll buy a can and put the rest in the fridge or make a bowl full of tuna salad and put it in the fridge.

Is it really that much better tasting? Albacore has more omega-3 fatty acids (a good thing).
Maybe it has less mercury, eheh.

I don't like "light tuna." From what I understand it's made from skipjack tuna. Anyways, I don't like the texture, the color, nor the taste of so called "chunk light tuna." It's less expensive tho.

Last edited:
smaller, younger fish = less mercury.

therefore, skipjack is better for you. bigger tunas build up their heavy metals as they eat and grow.

like to 11.

This thread caused me to have a tuna salad pita sandwich for supper tonight. :LOL: Besides Hellman's I included: celery, egg, a few capers, Lawry's, Colman's mustard, tabasco sauce, chives.

I had used solid albacore for salad because. Probably because that's how I always did it. When Himself was laid off in late 2011, I figured I'd go with chunk light. Didn't take me long to avoid Charlie the Tuna. His was a lot of water and no real chunks. Just shreds. My latest batch of sale cans was a really good deal on Chicken of the Sea. It's always been good. Until now. This batch of cans has NO chunks. As in, the cat food I bought for my late kitty had more texture than this sludge. I'll use up what I have because I have it. But in my last few years of shopping around, I've found the house brand tunas to be better than the big brands.

As long as we're on tuna sandwiches...what's that Mexican combo of spiced carrots and other vegetables that Mexicans add to tuna?

Years ago, a customer of mine made it while I was working for them, but now I can't remember the jar of mexican veggies that he made it with.

Anyways, it was actually quite jazzy good. You don't make it to spread on bread as a sandwich, but rather, you mix it up with tuna fish to spread on toast or crackers.

He made it up as sort of a snack kinda thing and we had so much of it that I had to tell him I was having dinner in an hour and had to decline finishing it off. I have to say...it was pretty tasty good.

It's a well known Mexican combination of spicy hot vegetable that you can buy in a jar and you mix it with tuna fish. I'm sure someone here knows what I'm talking about. It's not that hard to locate in stores either. It comes in a liquid filled jar. Mexican tuna fish.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom