Tuna Salad Sandwich...ingredients.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lol...if you say so. Please be more vague. That name doesn't ring a bell.

I've been meaning to make it lately...if I can find someone who knows what I am talking about.

I suppose it's that. A combination of spiced carrorts, a few other veggies, suspended in liquid.

You drain the liquid and add those spiced Mexican veggies to the tuna fish.

It's not bad...served on crackers. Someone here MUST know what I'm talking about.

Served on top of either toasted bread or crackers, not between to slices of bread.

Anyways... ...he says to me..."you and me...we finish it off" (typical macho attitude).

I had to tell him I was heading home to dinner in an hour. It was good tho. Tuna with spicy bottled Mexican veggies added.

Last edited:
"Goya" brand makes a lot of Hispanic foods. I noticed when looking up their Sofrito that it's heavy on tomatoes, but does not include carrots. I know in western European cooking (as well as stateside) there is mirepoix, which is sauteed carrots/celery/onions. The Holy Trinity of cooking.

Hope this helps, Caslon.

Maybe I was wrong that it contained carrots. I'm just saying that among the Mexican community, there's a common tuna fish thing they make up with spiced up veggies, usually bought in a jar. I forget what it is. Spread on crackers or toasted bread, very common among the Hispanic community. I want to try that with tuna again, just for nostalgic sake.

Last edited:
Maybe I was wrong that it contained carrots. I'm just saying that among the Mexican community, there's a common tuna fish thing they make up with spiced up veggies, usually bought in a jar. I forget what it is. Spread on crackers or toasted bread, very common among the Hispanic community. I want to try that with tuna again, just for nostalgic sake.

Is it Curtido? Sort of a sauerkraut made with cabbage, carrots, jalapeno peppers, etc...

I like to use toasted hamburger buns for my sandwich.
Water packed tuna drained and add mayo and cut up Spanish olives. A slice of provolone and topped with crunchy iceberg.

I think I know what you're talking about. I've seen the mix in cans, and it does contain carrots, along with celery, onion, and peppers. A Mexican restaurant here serves it in a little dish, and it's really hot by itself. I've not seen it in a jar, but I'm sure it comes that way as well. Can't remember the brand, maybe Herdez?

I searched for "pickled mexican vegetables" and came up with tons of homemade recipes. This was the only commercial item I saw:

Salsa%20Escabeche%20Solo%20050914.jpg

Albacore is seriously overfished so becoming scarce which is probably why it's expensive.

Thanks. But I thought it was because it was whole pieces and was white in color?

$3.67 a can for yellowfin tuna, I'll have to try it. . By the way, that sized can has more tuna in it for more than just one sammie, but I'll buy a can and put the rest in the fridge or make a bowl full of tuna salad and put it in the fridge.

Two sandwiches? Two small sandwiches. You must add lots of filler. ;)

I know in western European cooking (as well as stateside) there is mirepoix, which is sauteed carrots/celery/onions. The Holy Trinity of cooking.

I thought the trinity was onion, green bell pepper and celery?

Update:
I found oil packed tuna in my town. Another chain grocery store right across the street from my regular store.

They had more than one brand. But it sure is expensive.
$4.78 for the small can packed in olive oil.
I ended up buying the Bumble Bee brand in vegetable oil. 10 cans for $10.00. On sale this week.
Since I am draining it well and adding mayo, I cannot see spending close to $5.00 to make 1.5 sandwiches!

There is a diner in town that has good tuna salad. Looks like about three cans worth in each sandwich.

Lol...if you say so. Please be more vague. That name doesn't ring a bell.

I've been meaning to make it lately...if I can find someone who knows what I am talking about.

I suppose it's that. A combination of spiced carrorts, a few other veggies, suspended in liquid.

You drain the liquid and add those spiced Mexican veggies to the tuna fish.

It's not bad...served on crackers. Someone here MUST know what I'm talking about.

Served on top of either toasted bread or crackers, not between to slices of bread.

Anyways... ...he says to me..."you and me...we finish it off" (typical macho attitude).

I had to tell him I was heading home to dinner in an hour. It was good tho. Tuna with spicy bottled Mexican veggies added.

I know what you're talking about Caslon. As far as I know it's called Mexican Pickled Vegetables. ;) Here's a good recipe for DIY..

CakeWalk: Canning Mexican Pickled Vegetables (without the wreck of my heart.)

Trader Joe's has yellowfin packed in olive oil and at a good price. I just used up my last can a couple of days ago, so I don't have the label to read about any info. It's good plain, but by the time I mix it with mayo, chopped eggs, and other goodies it's hard to tell the difference between that and other kinds of tuna. IMO. LOL :)

Do they have it packed in spring water?

Since we've discussed deviled eggs at length...what do you use in your tuna salad sandwiches?

I'm making lunch with two cans of Albacore tuna, three chopped hard cooked eggs, chopped celery and two green onions, five pimento stuffed green olives chopped.
Mayo, Dijon mustard, a dab if anchovy paste, a squeeze of fresh lemon, salt and lots of fresh ground pepper.

What's your secret?

Albacore tuna has more contaminants in the meat than does chunk-light tuna. It's recommended by public health agencies that people eat albacore tuna sparingly to avoid such things as heavy metals and PCB's that accumulate in the fish flesh.

After that, my tuna for sandwiches includes chopped onion, salad dressing, sweet pickle relish, mustard, a bit of dried dill weed, a smaller touch of dried tarragon, and occasionally, some paprika. The onion, and tuna are the stars of the show for me. The other ingredients are supporting actors.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sometimes if I have then on hand, I will finely dice a couple of radishes. They can really perk up a sandwich filling. They are on my list for my next foray to the store. :angel:

After that, my tuna for sandwiches includes chopped onion, salad dressing, sweet pickle relish, mustard, a bit of dried dill weed, a smaller touch of dried tarragon, and occasionally, some paprika. The onion, and tuna are the stars of the show for me. The other ingredients are supporting actors.

Do you mean Miracle Whip?

I have a couple foil packets of salmon.
Can I treat this like tuna and make salmon salad for sandwiches.
And for those who do this, does it work well this way?
I have no idea as to what they are for, other than salmon patties.
TIA.

I am out of bread, but have two tomatoes still on the vine that need to be used very quickly. So I am going to be making stuffed tomatoes with my last can of tuna. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom