"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 09-11-2004, 07:40 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I just had an awesome 'open-face' sammy at a restaurant -

Split open small baguette, toasted; simple crab salad (just tasted like crab, mayo, s/p) on the baguette; some grilled baby asparagus spears; slices of plum tomato, and fontina cheese melted over top. Got a big WOW from me!

Old 09-11-2004, 12:08 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

How amazing, I just finished a grilled chocolate sandwich. I got the recipe from King Arthur. Last weekend I made Martha Stewart's pressed picnic sandwich, and it was awesome also.

Old 09-12-2004, 02:11 AM   #13
Master Chef

Linsa-Gail;

Sadly, I started the sandwhich and found that we had no chips. But the rest of the sandwich was still good. I will try it. I promise.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:15 PM   #14
Cook

Unique Sandwiches

Hey Good Weed., I've got another.Fry some potatoes,diced with onions, Brown chuck, or ground beef drain.Take Kaiser onion roll, mayo on both sides, put, meat, potatoes top with, chili, add cheese put under broiler, everybody likes it, Messy but good.SONGBIRD, WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:26 PM   #15
Executive Chef

FRIED GREEN TOMATO SANDWICHES W/REMOULADE SAUCE

Tomatoes and Garnish:
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1 ½ cups yellow cornmeal
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cayenne
2 tsp. olive oil
2 large green tomatoes
2tsp. butter

4 sandwich rolls
Lettuce (I like 'crispy' lettuce on this, like the stem ends of Romaine, or iceberg)

Remoulade Sauce:
2T mayonnaise
2T sour cream
1T horseradish
1T dijon mustard
2tsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. cayenne
2 scallions
1T sweet relish
1T capers

Whisk together buttermilk and egg; mix together cornmeal, salt and cayenne. Slice the tomatoes into ¼ inch thick slices. Dip tomatoes first in buttermilk mixture, then the cornmeal mixture to coat evenly.
Heat 1tsp. oil and 1tsp. butter over medium high heat til foamy. Add tomato slices, and cook til underside is golden brown; turn and saute other side.
For remoulade, combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend together. Place lettuce leaves on bottoms of buns; top with tomato slices and remoulade sauce; cover with tops of buns.

Add some crispy bacon slices and/or avocado slices to make this even better!
Old 09-12-2004, 06:47 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Ok... this fits here too... but I originally posted it in the breath killer sandwiches because of all the garlic in the Boursin =)

My favorite is grilled chicken panini with LOTS of Boursin cheese... grill strips of chicken, onions, peppers, mushrooms, set aside, slice your favorite foccacia lengthwise spread a LOT of bousin on one half, place bousin-side up on grill pan or sandwich press, layer in chicken, onions, peppers, mushrooms, a slice of your favorite cheese, and if your up to it... spread the other half of the foccacia with boursin and cover sandwich and grill... if not using a sandwich press or foreman grill... put a heavy pan on top of the sandwich as it grills... then flip when golden (if you're not cooking on something that cooks both sides
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:02 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Don'cha just think sometimes we could live our whole lives on just these wonderful sammies? :D
Old 09-13-2004, 11:11 PM   #18
Master Chef

I am soooo humbled. These are such extraordinary sandwiches. I wish I could open a sandwich shop and feature every one. Unfortunately, it takes two things I lack. They are, in order of importance, location (Sault Ste. Marie, MI is not the place to introduce new and interesting foods, ho-hum), and working capital. It would take a lot more cash than I posess to do this. Now if a person were living someplace like Manhatan, or Seattle...

Oh, LindaGayle, your last sandwich reminded me of a teen-age favorite from years gone by. I and my best freind used to hop in the boat (small with 21 horse tiller motor), cruise accross the river, and fish for perch. We'd take along a bit of charcoal lighter, some raw spuds, and a bit of cooking oil, and a loaf of bread. Don't forget the salt and ketchup (a net and plastic bag filled with rocks and food keeps well in the cold waters of the St. Mary's River), and after we caught and cleaned the fish, we'd start a fire using available driftwood, throw a 15 inch cast iron pan on the fire, and make for ourselves the best potato-fish sandwiches. Oh to relive those days. I'd go back in time in a minute if I could. Summers were magical back then.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:47 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Rare roast beef, fresh mozzarella, roasted peppers and roasted eggplant drizzled with good balsamic vinegar and olive oil on a Portuguese roll. Good without the eggplant, too.
Great on foccacia.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:05 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Chicken and Pineapple

A favorite. Thick crusty bread - a thin layer of mayo on one slice, a thin layer of mustard on the other slice. Slices of chicken (leftover is great and ham works too), a slice of pineapple, a thin slice of sharp cheddar, lots of black pepper. YUM!