Unique and Great Sandwiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
God that sounds good! I think you could saute some fresh shrimp or oysters and top it with Mudbug's creation - how fab would that be! YUM!

Good suggestions, Bang and Kansasgirl. But with K-girl's addition you'd be getting into etouffee territory, so you might as well go ahead and do that instead.

My version of the grilled cheese: Heat olive oil with a clove of garlic in a non stick skillet and let the oil enfuse the garlic. Assemble your sandwich and grill in a non stick skillet.

Sour Dough Bread or Roasted Tomato Sour Dough Bread
Deli Meats thinly sliced (smoked turkey + honey ham)
Scallions
Mont. Jack Cheese
Spicy Mustard

Yummy!! No more boring grilled cheese for me. I change this up as my mood suites me and what I have in my frige.

Split a whole wheat pita. Spread on a lite layer of herbed mayo, then add fresh baby spinach, sliced roma tomatoes and fresh mozarella. You could also add some grilled veggies (squash, peppers) or sliced chicken or turkey. Top with other half of split pita. Broil until everything is warm and cheese is melted. Mmmmm....

You guys are killing me, I'm starving now!!!!

PA Baker, you mentioned herbed mayo. . .I tried to make a tarragon mayo once and it just didn't taste like anything but mayo. . does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks! :D

Jaim

Jamaican Jerked Chicken Wrap
Yields: 1 sandwich

You can make your own Jamaican Jerk marinade, or, buy a good canned product available in gourmet stores. I find it easiest to use a quart-sized Zip-lock style baggie to marinate a chicken breast in. If you are doing more than one at a time, you might want to switch to a resealable container of some kind, with at least a 1 qt capacity. If you are worried about the “heat” of the jerk marinade, remember that the Ranch dip is dairy-based and will help to counteract the heat of the marinade.

1 chicken breast, pounded thin
2 - 3 T Jamaican Jerk Chicken marinade
One 12 - 15” flour tortilla
Shredded lettuce
2 T diced tomatoes
2 - 3 T Ranch dressing

Marinate the chicken at least one hour, or overnight. Heat a Charcoal or Foreman Grill. Cook the chicken until done. While this is cooking, mix the lettuce and tomatoes with the Ranch dressing, and set aside for a minute. Once the chicken is done, remove it from the grill and slice it into strips. Heat the tortilla in a microwave for about 30 seconds, or until it’s warmed, soft, and pliable. Place the lettuce mixture in a line on the tortilla, from the 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock positions, being sure to leave a space about 1 ½” from the edge of the tortilla. Spread the chicken on top of the lettuce mixture. Fold the left and right edges up and over the mixture. Fold the bottom part over the mixture, and roll. Secure the wrap with two toothpicks, and cut it on a bias. Plate and serve with chips.

Hi jaim--Sorry I didn't check back sooner. I make my own herbed mayo. I usually use a low-fat mayo, like Helman's as a base and then just add to it, depending on my taste. I'll finely chop some basil, rosemary, parsely, add a bit of crushed garlic, kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. One thing I love to add is a splash of balsamic vinegar. It gives it a good zing and depth of flavor. You can add some lemon zest, too, if you want--I do this when I'm making grilled salmon BLTs.

Hi PA Baker - thanks for responding!!!! That sounds great! I think I'll give it a try this weekend!!!! :)

I made an awesome grilled cheese/vegie sandwich the other night.. It was good. I roasted the vegetables (sliced red and green pepper, zucchini, and onion) and added that to a couple slices of sourdough (spreaded with Helmans mayo, instead of butter) and melted Lorraine swiss cheese. I had Campbells tomato soup with it.. mmmmm, it was good!

Ham Salad

Anyone have a recipe for ham salad for sandwiches? I ordered a ham bone from Honeybaked Hams today and it comes with loads of ham on it. Too much to use for soup and not enough to slice.

toasted ciabetta, spread with pesto, goat cheese, fresh sliced tomato, sprinkle of sea salt, fresh ground pepper and basil...OMG I want one now...but when I moved I lost my herb garden....can't wait till spring

The simplest, bestest summer sammy -

1 dead ripe garden tomato
2 slices white bread
Mayo
Salt

Spread mayo on bread, slice tomatoes thick and put on bread; stand over the sink while you eat it! Yum!

Re: Ham Salad

norgeskog said:
Anyone have a recipe for ham salad for sandwiches? I ordered a ham bone from Honeybaked Hams today and it comes with loads of ham on it. Too much to use for soup and not enough to slice.

Not sure if you're into hawaiian ham salad.. this is with pita bread, you can use regular bread if you wish.

6 oz diced, cooked ham
1 (8oz) can pinapple tidbits in unsweetened juice, drained
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/4 cup mayo or plain yogurt
3 (6") pita breads, halved
lettuce

In med bowl, combine all ingredients except pitas and lettuce; mix well. Line each pita half with lettuce; fill with scant 1/3 cup ham salad.

Tip: I like to warm my pitas in the microwave for 30 secs.. gives them a better texture, and they stay together better.

roasted pepper and goat cheese sammich

makes approx 2 servings:

8 ozs. goat cheese
8 ozs. roasted red peppers
oregano, sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, evoo to taste
1 french baguette (feeds 2 people)

slice baguette lengthwise down the center. drizzle olive oil on one slice of the baguette, spread goat cheese evenly over the other half.
now add roasted red peppers on top of the goat cheese, and sprinkle with oregano, sea salt, and cracked pepper to taste. drizzle a little evoo over the goat cheese half. place open halves under a broiler until the goat begins to get golden brown on the edges.

Buckytom I needed this before I finished off the goat cheese I had. I'll have to get some more & try it. Sounds great, thanks for sharing!

Re: Ham Salad

Juliev said:
norgeskog said:

Not sure if you're into hawaiian ham salad.. this is with pita bread, you can use regular bread if you wish.

Thanks Juliev, that sounds really good, but I think I will saute/carmelize the pineapple. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom