"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 09-30-2004, 04:36 PM   #31
Master Chef

Hi jaim--Sorry I didn't check back sooner. I make my own herbed mayo. I usually use a low-fat mayo, like Helman's as a base and then just add to it, depending on my taste. I'll finely chop some basil, rosemary, parsely, add a bit of crushed garlic, kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. One thing I love to add is a splash of balsamic vinegar. It gives it a good zing and depth of flavor. You can add some lemon zest, too, if you want--I do this when I'm making grilled salmon BLTs.

Old 09-30-2004, 04:39 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Hi PA Baker - thanks for responding!!!! That sounds great! I think I'll give it a try this weekend!!!! :)

Old 10-02-2004, 05:57 AM   #33

I made an awesome grilled cheese/vegie sandwich the other night.. It was good. I roasted the vegetables (sliced red and green pepper, zucchini, and onion) and added that to a couple slices of sourdough (spreaded with Helmans mayo, instead of butter) and melted Lorraine swiss cheese. I had Campbells tomato soup with it.. mmmmm, it was good!
Old 10-04-2004, 06:30 PM   #34
Certified Executive Chef

Ham Salad

Anyone have a recipe for ham salad for sandwiches? I ordered a ham bone from Honeybaked Hams today and it comes with loads of ham on it. Too much to use for soup and not enough to slice.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:48 PM   #35
Senior Cook

toasted ciabetta, spread with pesto, goat cheese, fresh sliced tomato, sprinkle of sea salt, fresh ground pepper and basil...OMG I want one now...but when I moved I lost my herb garden....can't wait till spring
Old 10-04-2004, 06:59 PM   #36
Executive Chef

The simplest, bestest summer sammy -

1 dead ripe garden tomato
2 slices white bread
Mayo
Salt

Spread mayo on bread, slice tomatoes thick and put on bread; stand over the sink while you eat it! Yum!
Old 10-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #37

Re: Ham Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Anyone have a recipe for ham salad for sandwiches? I ordered a ham bone from Honeybaked Hams today and it comes with loads of ham on it. Too much to use for soup and not enough to slice.
Not sure if you're into hawaiian ham salad.. this is with pita bread, you can use regular bread if you wish.

6 oz diced, cooked ham
1 (8oz) can pinapple tidbits in unsweetened juice, drained
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/4 cup mayo or plain yogurt
3 (6") pita breads, halved
lettuce

In med bowl, combine all ingredients except pitas and lettuce; mix well. Line each pita half with lettuce; fill with scant 1/3 cup ham salad.

Tip: I like to warm my pitas in the microwave for 30 secs.. gives them a better texture, and they stay together better.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:12 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

roasted pepper and goat cheese sammich

makes approx 2 servings:

8 ozs. goat cheese
8 ozs. roasted red peppers
oregano, sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, evoo to taste
1 french baguette (feeds 2 people)

slice baguette lengthwise down the center. drizzle olive oil on one slice of the baguette, spread goat cheese evenly over the other half.
now add roasted red peppers on top of the goat cheese, and sprinkle with oregano, sea salt, and cracked pepper to taste. drizzle a little evoo over the goat cheese half. place open halves under a broiler until the goat begins to get golden brown on the edges.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 03:16 PM   #39
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Buckytom I needed this before I finished off the goat cheese I had. I'll have to get some more & try it. Sounds great, thanks for sharing!
Old 10-08-2004, 05:06 PM   #40
Certified Executive Chef

Re: Ham Salad

[quote="Juliev"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Not sure if you're into hawaiian ham salad.. this is with pita bread, you can use regular bread if you wish.

Thanks Juliev, that sounds really good, but I think I will saute/carmelize the pineapple. Thanks again.