Unique and Great Sandwiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mudbug, have now finished my sandwich...

I had some genuine doubts about putting sour cream in a tuna salad mix, but have to hand it to you, it changes the taste/texture quite differently, and not at all bad!

Note I used flaked white albacore, packed in vegetable broth (A President's Choice product here in Canada), which I thought a neat compromise......so thanks again, for a great snack!

Am getting weird, late night ideas about tuna salad stuffed in a hollowed tomato, or pepper, and eaten like an apple....

I know, I know, you guys are purely jealous because the "Voices" only talk to me...

Lifter

Glad you liked it, Lifter. The sour cream/mayo mix also works well for making chicken salad. I break up the tuna myself in a bowl with the other stuff - couldn't tell you whether it's white or albacore.

Stuffed tomatoes are an excellent choice, especially for dinner on a hot summer evening. As for croissants, well...anything is good on those, isn't it?

Muffuletta Sammich:

Olive Spread:

1/4 cup finely chopped stuffed green olives
1/4 cup finely chopped kalamata olives
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
1 tsp finely chopped basil
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed

Sammich:

1 16oz loaf french bread
2 tbsp softened butter
6oz thinly sliced smoked cooked turkey, smoked cooked ham, pastrami (each)
8oz thinly sliced provolone
lettuce

Combine all spread ingredients, mix well. Refrigerate to blend flavors.

Slice bread length-wise in half. Spread both cut sides with spread mixture. Layer, then, the meat, cheese, and lettuce; press down lightly. Cut into slices.. makes 8-10 sammiches.

Making a grilled cheese or a BLT using this bread:

Feta/Roasted Red Pepper Bread:

Feta & Roasted Red Pepper Bread

1 frozen bread dough, 16 oz
3 tbsp feta cheese cubes in oil and herbs, shake slightly to mix
1 tbsp olive oil from the jar of feta cheese cubes
2 tsp roasted red pepper spread
1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced fine

Thaw frozen dough in refrigerator overnight or at room temperature until thawed but still firm.

On cutting board with chef’s knife or dough cutter, chop dough into large chunks. Spread the ingredients over chopped dough. Continue to chop and mix until dough is blended with cheese and roasted pepper spread and streaked with color. Place in loaf pan. Non-stick pan sprayed with noncooking spray works best.

Proof in draft-free area covered loosely with light cloth towel or in gas oven with a shallow pan of warm water and the warmth of the pilot light will give ideal proofing temperature of about 100°. Proof until dough domes are slightly above top of pan.

Bake at 350° for approximately 25 to 30 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool 5-10 minutes and then remove from pan and finish cooling on cooling rack or screen.

There is a Vietnamese owned bakery in Mascot down here in Sydney, and everyday at lunch time they have around 20-30 people lining up outside for their chicken/pork/salad rolls. I have not been able to copy it exactly and I can't even remember if it tastes similar to theirs because it has been so long, but nevertheless it's still good.

steamed chicken, shredded with a fork (can have steamed pork as well)
pork liver pate
maggi seasoning (supposedly equal parts dark soy sauce and Worcesterchire sauce)
fresh coriander (cilantro), I pack the stuff on but to each his own
green onions (can use red onion or any other sweeter onion)
grated carrot
lettuce
red chillies (fresh or in a jar, fresh is always better)
cheese (nothing with too much bite)
mayonnaise
2 slices of bread (slightly toasted works best I think, but personal preference) or a fresh, crunchy light roll

Spread a thin amount of the liver pate onto the roll or slice of bread. Spread some mayonnaise after that then place the grated or sliced cheese on top of that. Follow this with the onions, carrot, coriander and chillies. Put your meat on top of this and sprinkle with the seasoning (add however much you want, its something you need to experiment with but it is quite strong) then top with the lettuce.

It may not be the genuine articles, but still tastes good.

I am sorry. I am such a traditionalist!

My favorite sandwich is a BLT!

I like a thick sliced premium quality smoked bacon with thick streaks of meat -- nice and crisp on a simple whole wheat bread toast [preferrably home made whole wheat].

Lots of home made mayonnaise, a slice of garden ripe heirloom tomato with a sprinkle of salt, and a leaf or two of crisp romaine lettuce.

Sometimes I will put a couple of nasturtium leaves on it.

Well, I missed the "breath killer" thread but this one will keep people FAR away from you. It's essentially pastrami on rye with swiss cheese, thin sliced yellow onions and spicy brown mustard. I used to make this back in the restaurant biz days and the girls I worked with HATED it! Being the only guy that worked there I had to do something to defend myself! My all-time fave sammy has to be the Club with everything! A sandwich whose structure makes it impossible to eat without making a serious mess. The messier the better! ;)

choclatechef said:
I am sorry. I am such a traditionalist!

My favorite sandwich is a BLT!

I like a thick sliced premium quality smoked bacon with thick streaks of meat -- nice and crisp on a simple whole wheat bread toast [preferrably home made whole wheat].

Lots of home made mayonnaise, a slice of garden ripe heirloom tomato with a sprinkle of salt, and a leaf or two of crisp romaine lettuce.

Sometimes I will put a couple of nasturtium leaves on it.

I gotta agree. But it has to be on whole-wheat toast for me, with Miracle Whip, fresh, vine ripened in my back yard tomatoes, and a great bacon, but not hard crisp. Rather, I like my bacon in that state in-between chewy, and crispy. And Crisp Romaine is perfect, but has to be cold.

Following that, it has to be liverwurst, tomate, and iceburgh lettuce, again with Miracle Whip.

DampCharcoal; As for the "Breathkiller" thread, choose the search button at the top of your screen, and enter - breathkiller. It will take you to that thread. I think you will enjoy it. We have such creative people around here. :D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Bump Tried a sandwich today that I thought was going to be truly grand, a BLT with double bacon on toasted rye with Miracle Whip sandwich spread. The sandwich wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. suprisingly, the rye flavor was close to that of the bacon and hid that great smokey taste. Now I have to admit, I ate this at a cafeteria that also made sandwiches, and the bacon wasn't the best, but the rye with caraway seeds was just too strong and overpowered the other flavors. And like everything else, a great sandwich is a delicate ballance of flavors, even if the flavors are all strong ones. Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Tried something new today.

My MIL was using some bulk sausage from a local butcher to make some sausage sandwiches.

Now, I'm really picky about sausage, as I can't handle large quantities of most brands. They're to salty, to much sage, etc. Now, I love a good, mild, sausage, but finding some is hard to do.

This local sausage was pretty good, so I decided to make my version of a sausage burger. I toasted a burger bun, fried up a large, thin patty of sausage, put some Bullseye Original BBQ sauce on the bottom bun, topped the patty with American cheese, lettuce, and some bread-n-butter pickles.

Not half bad! I'll just have to wait a few hours and see if the sausage is going to give me indigestion or not. I'm hoping the sweetness of the BBQ sauce and pickles counteracts the spicyness of the sausage.

AllenMI said:
Tried something new today.

...Now, I'm really picky about sausage, as I can't handle large quantities of most brands. They're to salty, to much sage, etc. Now, I love a good, mild, sausage, but finding some is hard to do...

Have you ever tried to make your own pork sausage. It's really pretty easy. The obvious advantage is that you get to flavor it the way you want.

My wife is hyper-sensitive to capsaicin and black pepper. So when i want sausage, either I grind my own pork (get to regulate the fat content that way) or purchase ground pork. I add just a little salt, onion powder, garlic, and maybe some maple syrup or brown sugar to the sausage mix for my wife. I am then free to add sage, thyme, salt, black pepper, and red pepper to my sausage mix, and in the amounts I like. I can also add some apple juice or maple syrup if I'm in the mood for a touch of sweetness in my sausage. And if I'm going to use it for meatballs, I can drop the sage and add sweet basil and oregano, and of course some fennel.

AllenMI, you have got to try making your own sausage. It won't be long until you have the perfect mix for your digestive tract and taste buds.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I did, once, back in college. My MIL has a hand-cranked meat grinder. I'm not to crazy about using that. If I can ever get my KA mixer fixed, or buy another one, I want to get a meat-grinder for it, so I can make my own sausage.

Allen, I have cranked miles and miles on one of those old grinders, and it sure can wear out your arm. It's good to have a helper to spell you. My kids used to help turn the crank...they got a kick out of watching all the goodies come out "like little worms".
All I can say, is Thank Goodness for the food processer and KA!

If you use a bit of finesse, and pulse gently, your food processor will perform the meat grinding tasks very well. But it takes a bit of practice to get teh consistancy you want.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
Have you ever tried to make your own pork sausage.
I make my own Mexican chorizo because the commercial stuff you get in the markets turns to mostly grease when you fry it up.

Chorizo​

2 cloves garlic, mashed
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
2 Tbs cooking oil

Mix everything together in a bowl, divide into thirds, roll each third into a log, and wrap in plastic wrap until needed. If you like it a little spicier, use New Mexico chili powder.

You guys made me go through 8 pages of posts to ascertain if MY favortie sandwich was posted and, miraculously, it is not.

My favorite sandwich is the Monte Cristo, said to have been invented in San Francisco, but, unfortunately, not Chinatown.

There are actually two schools of design on the traditional Monte Cristo; grilled, and deep fried. Now I prefer the deep fried variety because the grilled version is very labor intensive, and I just happen to own a commerial size deep fryer. Besdies, the grilled version is more like a french toast sandwich.

Monte Cristo Sandwich
Batter:

1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk

Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl. Beat eggs and milk; stir into dry ingredients until smooth. Allow to rest for 30 minutes

Sandwich:

2 slices of Texas Toast Bread (NOT toasted!)
2 oz sliced ham
2 oz sliced turkey
2 slices Swiss cheese
confectioners sugar
strawberry preserves

Preheat deep fryer to 360F. Place the ham, turkey and cheese between two slices of bread. Secure the sandwich with large toothpicks, then cut daigonally (corner to corner). Dip each sandwich section in batter and coat well. Place each section in deep fryer basket and submerge in deep fryer until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Remove wooden picks. Dust with confectioners sugar, and serve with a large dollop of strawberry preserves on the side. I usually serve this as a brunch item, with a mixed berry salad and strawberry mimosas or Strawberry Juliuses for tea-totallers and children.

Variation: Instead of Texas toast bread, use 3 slices of thin sliced bread. Place ham and half of Swiss cheese on one slice, add second slice, then add turkey and second half of Swiss cheese, then last slice of bread, like a club sandwich. Secure with toothpicks,deep fry, and plate as described above.

Last edited:
Questions

HELP! Have pity on a Brit who does not know some of the items mentioned. For example. What is/are:

Turkey &amp
Pecan chicken
panella
Vegetarian Wraps

:) Although I m not a vegetarian I like a vegie sandwich once in a while.Im really hooked on roasted red pepper hummus right now so I came up with this sandwich the other day.
A real good whole wheat bread
A real good layer of the red pepper hummus
some thin sliced onions
a couple tomato slices with salt and pepper
some avocado slices
swiss cheese
lettuce and mayo
I thought it was really good
Next time I want to use sprouts which I did not have instead of lettuce
I think cucumber which I did not have would be good on it to

Crew, I love a piece of hot garlic gread with a roasted tomato on top. One day, I promise myself, that I will have just the right toasted bread, a grilled portobello, and a roasted or grilled tomato for a sandwich. Some pungent cheese, such as bleu, would be great with this. :-p

advoca said:
HELP! Have pity on a Brit who does not know some of the items mentioned. For example. What is/are:

Turkey &amp
Pecan chicken
panella
Vegetarian Wraps

Advoca, the first one is a coding error :) & is the coding for ampersand. She meant to write Turkey & brie :-p

I've been wondering what panella was, too!

Back
Top Bottom