Unique and Great Sandwiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was a little kid in school, I was known as the "kid with strange sandwiches" - lol!! While other kids had bologna or peanut butter & jelly, I had things like olive loaf, headcheese, liverwurst, & other odd lunch meats.

But my mom's true sandwich-making expertise was at home. Two that she used to make for me that I still make for myself are Sardine & Onion, and Limburger & Onion (REAL Limburger - not the jarred spread). Needless to say, these are not for the fainthearted, & you need a good mouthwash afterwards - lol!!

I also love a good sauteed soft-shell-crab sandwich (in crab season), a good BLT (during tomato season), & a good Egg, Spam, & Cheese on a roll breakfast sandwich.

My favorite is cold turkey, cream cheese, toasted sunflower seeds, sprouts, and honey french dressing on wild rice bread. Ummmmmmmmmmm sooooooo good and I will be honest and say....not my creation.

Tried something new the other day: grilled chicken breast, cheddar cheese, bacon, ranch dressing on a toasted french roll.

This is a no-frills great picnic sammy. Fresh ingreds really "make it." Round up all the usual suspects for sides i.e. cold potato or macaroni salad. Some other on-the-side bring-alongs:

Marinated mushrooms
Marinated artichoke hearts
A good bottle of wine

Caprese Sandwich

Focaccia, French/Italian bread, or baguettes
olive oil
fresh basil leaves
fresh tomatoes
chopped red onions
mozzarella, sliced
sliced kalamata olives
salt and fresh ground pepper

Cut bread in half. Layer sliced tomatoes, sliced mozzarella, onions and olives. Sprinkle basil over sandwiches. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

You could add thinly-sliced roast beef or tuna but, I use solid white, drained and flaked -- no mayo etc.

My fave sandwiches came from a local neighborhood Italian Deli/grocery - all freshly made by the owner. What put them over the top, was all the fresh ingreds - i.e. no mushy tuna "salads" tons o' mayo etc - very fresh bakery Italian bread, a little evoo, S&P if you like. The can of tuna was opened in front of you, tomatoes etc were sliced, when you placed your order. Nothing like what you would get at a chain like subway etc.

P.S. The Eggplant sandwiches were to die for.

P.P.S. - Bring a blanket, find a secluded spot in a woiodsey spot, near a waterfall, with your fave person - and that's my idea of heaven.

Last edited:
My favourite -lightly toast two slices of bread and fill with brie and sliced gherkin. Then a quick blast in the microwave to make the cheese a bit squishy. Yummy.

kimbaby said:
i LIKE CUCUMBER AND ONION SANDWHICHES WITH MAYO SALT AND PEPPER...

That's also one of my favorite sandwiches.... adding tomatoe, and the bread is a soft white or a fresh french bread... I know, whole grain is better for you, but taste & tecture is *everything*. In fact I experiment with differnet things like marinating the fillings with a basalmic/rice wine/white wine, etc vinager for a while (at least an hour) and adding herbs such as flat leaf parsley or terragon. In any case good veggies in any guise is tasty.

Even the simple Hellman's mayo, salt and pepper is excellant if the veggies are "very" fresh.

Casper

BTW... I forgot to mention one of my strange sandwiches that meets this thread's requirement. A double decker with a toasted chewy rye, egg salad, couple pieces of bacon, mayo, and on the second level, braunswager(sp?), onion, and more mayo and add some standard mustard. My form of comfort food :-p Even better if you go a quick skillet butter grilling on both sides.

Casper

When I was hiking for a whole day I would tryto find something thatg gave me energy and was filling. On day I came up with an idea for a very filling and very satisfying sandwich. One which usually fills me up and gives me lots of energy for the journey. It may be a bit sticky but it is filling.
On a slice of wheat bread spread a thick layer of crunchy Peanut Butter. It will make your sandwich nutty.
Over the crunchy Peanut Butter sprinkle a couple fists or so of Granola cearial.
Take a slice of American and a slice of Swiss cheese or 2 slices of whatever kind of cheese you like and using the Cheese press the Granola into the Peanut Butter with it.
On the other slice of the bread spread Thick Apple Butter or your favorite Thick Jam so it does not run away from the sandwitch which Jelly likes to do.
Put that slice on top of the Cheese, Granola, Peanut Butter slice with Jam side down.
Slice in half if you want to share it or eat it in sections.
Wrap it and put it in a zip lock bag until it is ready to use. I came across a Zip Lock bag that zipped up and had a Kangaroo type pouch on the side for additional snacks.
Spread out your Towel. A towel is the most masively useful thintg an Interstelliar Hitchhiker can have, Get out your beverage, etc., any greens, etc. You may have collected during the hike to add to your Picnic, oh yes and the sandwitches and have yourself a really amazingly Hoopy Picnic.
The sandwitch is very filling and will give you lots of energy. If any ants join your picnic it is up to you if they become part of the Picnic. If they are sentient ask them what they brought to share....
Remember Where Your Towel Is.

Uh - TimeLoyd. Without wanting to cramp your intergallicatic style, this thread is about a WEDDING. Like a WEDDING involving SWEET, INTRICATE, FINGER SANDWICHES. No one here is "hiking for a whole day, or across the galaxy". Wake up!!!!!

This is not the place for your weirdo intergallactic recipes. Place them elsewhere, please. Perhaps in your intergallictic cooking forum? (God, I hope that's not ours.)

I think you need to find a differnet forum for your "special" needs.

Last edited:
BreezyCooking said:
Uh - TimeLoyd. Without wanting to cramp your intergallicatic style, this thread is about a WEDDING. Like a WEDDING involving SWEET, INTRICATE, FINGER SANDWICHES. No one here is "hiking for a whole day, or across the galaxy". Wake up!!!!!

This is not the place for your weirdo intergallactic recipes. Place them elsewhere, please. Perhaps in your intergallictic cooking forum? (God, I hope that's not ours.)

Actually, Breezy, the wedding sandwiches were in a different separate thread. This one is Great and Unique sandwiches. Perhaps you might want to take a softer approach with folks.

BreezyCooking said:

Geezy Breezy...why are you getting so uptight? Relax a little, and make room for people who are different from you. You'd be surprised what you can learn from us weirdos.

Try taking an outdoor survival class. The things/creatures the teacher put together were not a gourmet meal, but it was a learning experience to us all... yes ants included.

SUBSTANTIAL SANDWICHES
$5.99 plus tax

CHEESE MAKER

Layers of fresh deli meats - Virginia Baked Ham, Thinly Sliced Turkey Breast, Spicy Pastrami and Hard Salami. Two kinds of Wisconsin Cheese, Cheddar and Baby Swiss on a Torpedo Roll with Lettuce, Green Peppers, Onions, Mayonnaise and Special Sauce.
Source: www.nelsoncheese.net

Hubba hubba! I remove the special sauce and add dijon mustard. T'aint a sandwich like it! Over 1/2 pound of meat on this baby!

Ok, I thought of one yesterday while I was at work.

The Ultimate Smokehouse BLT

You need to make a condiment for this. It's Sage Mayo. Just take some fresh sage, chop it up, and mix it with some mayo. You could use dried, but use a little, taste, and see how much more dried sage is needed.

For the sandwich:
two pieces bread of your choice, toasted or grilled
Sage mayo
Leaf lettuce
sliced tomatoes
6 or more pieces of Applewood Smoked Bacon
sliced Smoked Cheddar

To make the sandwich, cook the bacon. It has an intense smokey flavor that I've become addicted to. When the bacon is done, toast the bread, then spread with the Sage mayo. Cut the bacon strips in half, and arrange on one of the bread slices. Lay the cheese slices on top of the bacon to let the cheese melt a bit. Arrange the lettuce and tomato on the other piece of bread. Flip the slice over onto the bacon, toothpick it, cut it corner-to-corner, and serve.

I made this basic sandwich, without the cheese, yesterday, using some Multi-grain bread that has some honey in it. It was great. I thought of the cheese a little while later.

oddball

:ROFLMAO: How about herbed goat cheese spread on dark bread with ripe avacado slices and sprouts? Or date nut bread with cream cheese? L

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom