"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 11-10-2004, 12:11 AM   #61

Mudbug, have now finished my sandwich...

I had some genuine doubts about putting sour cream in a tuna salad mix, but have to hand it to you, it changes the taste/texture quite differently, and not at all bad!

Note I used flaked white albacore, packed in vegetable broth (A President's Choice product here in Canada), which I thought a neat compromise......so thanks again, for a great snack!

Am getting weird, late night ideas about tuna salad stuffed in a hollowed tomato, or pepper, and eaten like an apple....

I know, I know, you guys are purely jealous because the "Voices" only talk to me...

Lifter

Old 11-10-2004, 07:09 AM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Glad you liked it, Lifter. The sour cream/mayo mix also works well for making chicken salad. I break up the tuna myself in a bowl with the other stuff - couldn't tell you whether it's white or albacore.

Stuffed tomatoes are an excellent choice, especially for dinner on a hot summer evening. As for croissants, well...anything is good on those, isn't it?

Old 11-11-2004, 08:56 AM   #63

Muffuletta Sammich:

Olive Spread:

1/4 cup finely chopped stuffed green olives
1/4 cup finely chopped kalamata olives
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
1 tsp finely chopped basil
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed

Sammich:

1 16oz loaf french bread
2 tbsp softened butter
6oz thinly sliced smoked cooked turkey, smoked cooked ham, pastrami (each)
8oz thinly sliced provolone
lettuce

Combine all spread ingredients, mix well. Refrigerate to blend flavors.

Slice bread length-wise in half. Spread both cut sides with spread mixture. Layer, then, the meat, cheese, and lettuce; press down lightly. Cut into slices.. makes 8-10 sammiches.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:17 PM   #64
Head Chef

muffaletta, yes! :D
Old 11-15-2004, 11:25 AM   #65

Making a grilled cheese or a BLT using this bread:

Feta/Roasted Red Pepper Bread:

Feta & Roasted Red Pepper Bread

1 frozen bread dough, 16 oz
3 tbsp feta cheese cubes in oil and herbs, shake slightly to mix
1 tbsp olive oil from the jar of feta cheese cubes
2 tsp roasted red pepper spread
1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced fine

Thaw frozen dough in refrigerator overnight or at room temperature until thawed but still firm.

On cutting board with chef’s knife or dough cutter, chop dough into large chunks. Spread the ingredients over chopped dough. Continue to chop and mix until dough is blended with cheese and roasted pepper spread and streaked with color. Place in loaf pan. Non-stick pan sprayed with noncooking spray works best.

Proof in draft-free area covered loosely with light cloth towel or in gas oven with a shallow pan of warm water and the warmth of the pilot light will give ideal proofing temperature of about 100°. Proof until dough domes are slightly above top of pan.

Bake at 350° for approximately 25 to 30 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool 5-10 minutes and then remove from pan and finish cooling on cooling rack or screen.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:53 AM   #66
Sous Chef

There is a Vietnamese owned bakery in Mascot down here in Sydney, and everyday at lunch time they have around 20-30 people lining up outside for their chicken/pork/salad rolls. I have not been able to copy it exactly and I can't even remember if it tastes similar to theirs because it has been so long, but nevertheless it's still good.

steamed chicken, shredded with a fork (can have steamed pork as well)
pork liver pate
maggi seasoning (supposedly equal parts dark soy sauce and Worcesterchire sauce)
fresh coriander (cilantro), I pack the stuff on but to each his own
green onions (can use red onion or any other sweeter onion)
grated carrot
lettuce
red chillies (fresh or in a jar, fresh is always better)
cheese (nothing with too much bite)
mayonnaise
2 slices of bread (slightly toasted works best I think, but personal preference) or a fresh, crunchy light roll

Spread a thin amount of the liver pate onto the roll or slice of bread. Spread some mayonnaise after that then place the grated or sliced cheese on top of that. Follow this with the onions, carrot, coriander and chillies. Put your meat on top of this and sprinkle with the seasoning (add however much you want, its something you need to experiment with but it is quite strong) then top with the lettuce.

It may not be the genuine articles, but still tastes good.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:45 AM   #67

I am sorry. I am such a traditionalist!

My favorite sandwich is a BLT!

I like a thick sliced premium quality smoked bacon with thick streaks of meat -- nice and crisp on a simple whole wheat bread toast [preferrably home made whole wheat].

Lots of home made mayonnaise, a slice of garden ripe heirloom tomato with a sprinkle of salt, and a leaf or two of crisp romaine lettuce.

Sometimes I will put a couple of nasturtium leaves on it.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:10 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Well, I missed the "breath killer" thread but this one will keep people FAR away from you. It's essentially pastrami on rye with swiss cheese, thin sliced yellow onions and spicy brown mustard. I used to make this back in the restaurant biz days and the girls I worked with HATED it! Being the only guy that worked there I had to do something to defend myself! My all-time fave sammy has to be the Club with everything! A sandwich whose structure makes it impossible to eat without making a serious mess. The messier the better!
Old 12-05-2004, 02:49 AM   #69
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I am sorry. I am such a traditionalist!

My favorite sandwich is a BLT!

I like a thick sliced premium quality smoked bacon with thick streaks of meat -- nice and crisp on a simple whole wheat bread toast [preferrably home made whole wheat].

Lots of home made mayonnaise, a slice of garden ripe heirloom tomato with a sprinkle of salt, and a leaf or two of crisp romaine lettuce.

Sometimes I will put a couple of nasturtium leaves on it.
I gotta agree. But it has to be on whole-wheat toast for me, with Miracle Whip, fresh, vine ripened in my back yard tomatoes, and a great bacon, but not hard crisp. Rather, I like my bacon in that state in-between chewy, and crispy. And Crisp Romaine is perfect, but has to be cold.

Following that, it has to be liverwurst, tomate, and iceburgh lettuce, again with Miracle Whip.

DampCharcoal; As for the "Breathkiller" thread, choose the search button at the top of your screen, and enter - breathkiller. It will take you to that thread. I think you will enjoy it. We have such creative people around here. :D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:27 AM   #70
Master Chef

Bump Tried a sandwich today that I thought was going to be truly grand, a BLT with double bacon on toasted rye with Miracle Whip sandwich spread. The sandwich wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. suprisingly, the rye flavor was close to that of the bacon and hid that great smokey taste. Now I have to admit, I ate this at a cafeteria that also made sandwiches, and the bacon wasn't the best, but the rye with caraway seeds was just too strong and overpowered the other flavors. And like everything else, a great sandwich is a delicate ballance of flavors, even if the flavors are all strong ones. Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote