"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 02-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #71
Executive Chef

Tried something new today.

My MIL was using some bulk sausage from a local butcher to make some sausage sandwiches.

Now, I'm really picky about sausage, as I can't handle large quantities of most brands. They're to salty, to much sage, etc. Now, I love a good, mild, sausage, but finding some is hard to do.

This local sausage was pretty good, so I decided to make my version of a sausage burger. I toasted a burger bun, fried up a large, thin patty of sausage, put some Bullseye Original BBQ sauce on the bottom bun, topped the patty with American cheese, lettuce, and some bread-n-butter pickles.

Not half bad! I'll just have to wait a few hours and see if the sausage is going to give me indigestion or not. I'm hoping the sweetness of the BBQ sauce and pickles counteracts the spicyness of the sausage.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #72
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Tried something new today.

...Now, I'm really picky about sausage, as I can't handle large quantities of most brands. They're to salty, to much sage, etc. Now, I love a good, mild, sausage, but finding some is hard to do...
Have you ever tried to make your own pork sausage. It's really pretty easy. The obvious advantage is that you get to flavor it the way you want.

My wife is hyper-sensitive to capsaicin and black pepper. So when i want sausage, either I grind my own pork (get to regulate the fat content that way) or purchase ground pork. I add just a little salt, onion powder, garlic, and maybe some maple syrup or brown sugar to the sausage mix for my wife. I am then free to add sage, thyme, salt, black pepper, and red pepper to my sausage mix, and in the amounts I like. I can also add some apple juice or maple syrup if I'm in the mood for a touch of sweetness in my sausage. And if I'm going to use it for meatballs, I can drop the sage and add sweet basil and oregano, and of course some fennel.

AllenMI, you have got to try making your own sausage. It won't be long until you have the perfect mix for your digestive tract and taste buds.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #73
Executive Chef

I did, once, back in college. My MIL has a hand-cranked meat grinder. I'm not to crazy about using that. If I can ever get my KA mixer fixed, or buy another one, I want to get a meat-grinder for it, so I can make my own sausage.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #74
Master Chef

Allen, I have cranked miles and miles on one of those old grinders, and it sure can wear out your arm. It's good to have a helper to spell you. My kids used to help turn the crank...they got a kick out of watching all the goodies come out "like little worms".
All I can say, is Thank Goodness for the food processer and KA!
Old 02-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #75
Master Chef

If you use a bit of finesse, and pulse gently, your food processor will perform the meat grinding tasks very well. But it takes a bit of practice to get teh consistancy you want.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #76
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Have you ever tried to make your own pork sausage.
I make my own Mexican chorizo because the commercial stuff you get in the markets turns to mostly grease when you fry it up.

Chorizo

2 cloves garlic, mashed
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
2 Tbs cooking oil

Mix everything together in a bowl, divide into thirds, roll each third into a log, and wrap in plastic wrap until needed. If you like it a little spicier, use New Mexico chili powder.

You guys made me go through 8 pages of posts to ascertain if MY favortie sandwich was posted and, miraculously, it is not.

My favorite sandwich is the Monte Cristo, said to have been invented in San Francisco, but, unfortunately, not Chinatown.

There are actually two schools of design on the traditional Monte Cristo; grilled, and deep fried. Now I prefer the deep fried variety because the grilled version is very labor intensive, and I just happen to own a commerial size deep fryer. Besdies, the grilled version is more like a french toast sandwich.

Monte Cristo Sandwich
Batter:

1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk

Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl. Beat eggs and milk; stir into dry ingredients until smooth. Allow to rest for 30 minutes

Sandwich:

2 slices of Texas Toast Bread (NOT toasted!)
2 oz sliced ham
2 oz sliced turkey
2 slices Swiss cheese
confectioners sugar
strawberry preserves

Preheat deep fryer to 360F. Place the ham, turkey and cheese between two slices of bread. Secure the sandwich with large toothpicks, then cut daigonally (corner to corner). Dip each sandwich section in batter and coat well. Place each section in deep fryer basket and submerge in deep fryer until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Remove wooden picks. Dust with confectioners sugar, and serve with a large dollop of strawberry preserves on the side. I usually serve this as a brunch item, with a mixed berry salad and strawberry mimosas or Strawberry Juliuses for tea-totallers and children.

Variation: Instead of Texas toast bread, use 3 slices of thin sliced bread. Place ham and half of Swiss cheese on one slice, add second slice, then add turkey and second half of Swiss cheese, then last slice of bread, like a club sandwich. Secure with toothpicks,deep fry, and plate as described above.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:41 AM   #77
Senior Cook

Red face Questions

HELP! Have pity on a Brit who does not know some of the items mentioned. For example. What is/are:

Turkey &amp
Pecan chicken
panella
Vegetarian Wraps
Old 03-31-2006, 07:16 PM   #78
Executive Chef

Although I m not a vegetarian I like a vegie sandwich once in a while.Im really hooked on roasted red pepper hummus right now so I came up with this sandwich the other day.
A real good whole wheat bread
A real good layer of the red pepper hummus
some thin sliced onions
a couple tomato slices with salt and pepper
some avocado slices
swiss cheese
lettuce and mayo
I thought it was really good
Next time I want to use sprouts which I did not have instead of lettuce
I think cucumber which I did not have would be good on it to
Old 03-31-2006, 08:19 PM   #79
Master Chef

Crew, I love a piece of hot garlic gread with a roasted tomato on top. One day, I promise myself, that I will have just the right toasted bread, a grilled portobello, and a roasted or grilled tomato for a sandwich. Some pungent cheese, such as bleu, would be great with this.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:24 AM   #80
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by advoca
HELP! Have pity on a Brit who does not know some of the items mentioned. For example. What is/are:

Turkey &amp
Pecan chicken
panella
Vegetarian Wraps
Advoca, the first one is a coding error & is the coding for ampersand. She meant to write Turkey & brie

I've been wondering what panella was, too!