"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2004, 09:32 AM   #1
Master Chef

Unique and Great Sandwiches

As promised to "linda gayle", here's the topic. We're looking for sandwiches that are out of the ordinary, your own creation if possible, and absolutely yummy. "linda gayle" please re-post your sandwich here.

I've a different one for you as well.

Ingredients"
1 large egg
1 tbs Splenda or sugar
1 tsp cinimon
2 dashes nutmeg
1/8 cup milk
2 slices Coarse ground or stone ground whole wheat bread
2 slices Velveeta Cheese
Your favorite syrup, or honey (ya gotta try buckwheat honey, yum)

Mix the egg, sweetener, cinimon, nutmeg and egg together with a whisk or for, Dip the bread into the mix and place on a hot , lightly-grease or buttered griddle. Cook until medium browned on one side. Flip one piece of bread and place the cheese on the cooked side. Cover with the cooked side of the second bread slice. Finish browning the bottom slice, flip and brown the top slice. Serve like a grilled cheese sandwich and top with table syrup, maple syrup, or honey.

This sandwich sounds strange, but it is sooooo good.

Also, for your next PBJ, butter the outside and grill like grilled cheese. Amazing flavor difference compared to toast or plain bread.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:02 PM   #2
Cook

unusual sandwich

Yhis is my sandwich. 2slices of white bread, use other if you choose.layer sandwich, mayo, nice dlii ham, Alpine Lace cheese, Moterery jack, or peper jack cheese. Beat 2 eggs, crush pototo chips, dip sandwich into egg batter,next dredge in pototo chip crumbs Fry in butter,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Delish.....

WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE, SONGBIRD : :)

Old 09-07-2004, 07:52 AM   #3
Master Chef

I'm going to make this for my daughter this morning. :)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:08 PM   #4
Cook

Unique Sandwichwes

:D Hey Goodweed, Did you try the sandwich? did you like it? What did daughter say did she like it?

SONGBIRD
Old 09-09-2004, 05:00 AM   #5
Head Chef

My mostest favoritest sammich

Any kind of yummy, grainy artisan bread, sliced thick

Drizzle the bread generously with olive oil
Smoosh (technical term, I know) a fresh mozerella ball on the bread
Add a slice or two of fresh from the garden tomato

Broil until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned where it peeks out from beneath the tomato

Add some freshly chopped basil on top before munching

Heavenly! /swoon

Z

Edit Ohhhh, just reread the original post and realized it was supposed to be for uinque sandwiches. My bad.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:29 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Just 'cause I luvs y'all so much, here's my 'suggestion' page of sandwiches from my catering days! Enjoy! Sorry, no recipes, just ideas.

MISCELLANEOUS SANDWICH IDEAS

Turkey & Brie w/honey mustard dressing, lettuce/tomato on croissant

Pecan chicken w/garlic bourbon glace, lettuce/tomato on panella

Turkey breast w/lingonberry sauce, cream cheese and red onion on pumpernickel

Black Forest ham,muenster cheese, honey mustard on marble rye

Roast beef with brie & roasted garlic mayonnaise on French roll

Chicken salad withtarragon mayonnaise on Kaiser w/lettuce and tomato

Roasted veggies on foccacia with roasted pepper mayonnaise

Southwest chicken breast (grilled in marinade of lime juice, chipotle and ancho pepper powder) w/chipotle mayonnaise,lettuce and fresh salsa on panella

Deviled egg salad on croissant w/baby lettuce and tomato

Grilled salmon sandwich w/dill dressing and cucumber relish on Kaiser roll

Antipasto sandwich w/prosciutto, provolone, olive tapanade, fresh mozzerella, lettuce/tomato and sliced red onion on foccacia

Grilled fresh tuna with olive tapanade, lettuce/tomato, Greek dressing mayonnaise on toasted panella

Grilled eggplant sandwich w/fresh mozzerella, sundried tomatoes marinated in wine, roasted red peppers, lettuce and tomato on panella

Teriyaki chicken or fresh tuna sandwich with wasabi mayonnaise, romaine lettuce, and cucumbers marinated in rice wine vinaigrette on Kaiser roll

Provencal grilled chicken breast (herbes de Provence, garlic, oil, lemon zest marinade) w/shaved parmesan and Romaine lettuce on croissant

Greek salad grilled chicken w/feta cheese, and lettuce/tomato/cucumber/onion in Greek marinade on panella

Vegetarian Wraps:
- Caesar salad wrap w/romaine, red onion, parmesan cheese, caesar dressing, hard cooked eggs, and tomatoes on vegetable tortilla wrap.

- Tex Mex wrap with shredded lettuce, red onion, rice and black beans, tomatoes, Monterey Jack cheese, and salsa on sun dried tomato tortilla.

- Greek salad wrap with feta, shredded lettuce, tomato, onion, olives, cucumber, and yogurt garlic dressing on spinach wrap.

- Provencal wrap with field greens, shaved parmesan, calamata olives, hard boiled eggs, green beans, tomatoes, and steamed green beans with herbes de Provence vinaigrette on spinach tortilla.

- Primavera wrap with spinach, tomato, steamed zucchini, yellow squash & onion, and mushrooms and shaved parmesan with basil vinaigrette on spinach wrap.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:05 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
I think any of the above would blow my diet straight out the window.

What happened to the movie favorites - pastrami on rye or peanut butter & jelly? :)

Over time all of 'em will get a look in & tried - yum....

Garden fresh basil & tomato are a perfect match along with a drizzle of 'me old mate' (ev olive oil).

Can't beat a yabbie sanga with homemade mayo or tom, basil etc salt & pep, your fav cheese on your fav bread - bewdifull.

Yabbie = freshwater crayfish found locally in the dams & rivers (& free). Range in size from prawn (shrimp) to small lobster.
sanga = Aussie slang for sandwich ( pronounced sang- ah)

Question: Why is the Aust warcry "Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Oi Oi Oi"?
Answer: 'Cos we forgot the rest.......

Brooksy
Old 09-09-2004, 10:33 PM   #8
Executive Chef

One fried egg(sunny side up with an extra yoke) bacon,and worsestershire sauce on white toast. This is my favorite sandwich and I don't like eggs.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:01 AM   #9
Head Chef

These are not only unique but exotic as well

Green Chutney Sandwich:

To make the chutney:

Large bunch of cilantro
juice of 1 lime
2 large cloves of garlic
2 tsps of sugar
1 jalapeno pepper
1 tsp of salt
3 tbsp of fresh or dry unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)

Process this in a food processor, Don't add any water. The mixture should be nice and thick

Other ingredients:

Slices of white bread
Thinly sliced cucumber rounds
Thinly sliced tomato rounds
Thinly sliced boiled potato rounds
Some unsalted butter

Smear both slices of bread with the butter and cilantro chutney. Arrange the veggies and cut the sandwich at a diagonal and serve with some chips.

Chicken Roll

3 Chicken breasts (ground in a food processor)
1 tsp of cumin powder
1 tsp of corrainder powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp of minced ginger
1 onion finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped mint and cilantro
salt and black pepper to taste

Stir and marinate for an hour. Thread the chicken onto skewers like a sausage roll and then grill on an outdoor or indoor grill until done.

Remove chicken from skewers and reserve on the side

Serve in large wheat tortillas with shredded lettuce, sliced onions and yogurt sauce (plain yogurt, mixed with shredded cucumbers, salt and pepper)
Old 09-10-2004, 11:34 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to runninduo
OK.......my mouth is WATERING!!!!

These sandwiches sound so delicious. I just bought a panini maker today and can't wait to explore the infinite possiblities.

Tonight I made a grilled chicken (with a store bought Cuban marinade) with melted provolone. It was so good. Even my husband who is critical liked it. I realized that I think I would have liked it better with some additional ingredients.

I saw above the suggestion of turkey and brie. Huge lightbulb went on. That melted and gooey with slices of granny smith apple. YUM. My husband got pissed at me because I shared my brainstorm with him during a bad moment for the Dodgers. LOL. MEN!

Anyway, thanks for the great ideas.

Laurie