I love waffles, they are so versatile! Instead of bread, sometimes I use a waffle to make a sandwich. Here is one of my 'sandwich waffle creations'
I submitted this to another recipe site, but they didn't accept it, so it has never been published:
Carrot Cake Waffle Sandwiches
1 cup of flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 small box of raisins (or about 1/4 cup)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
3 medium-sized carrots, boiled and pureed (method follows)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 pkg. 3 oz Cream Cheese
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon butter pecan syrup
2 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat a waffle iron to manufactor's suggestions. Grease waffle iron with non-stick spray.
- Peel and slice carrots, place in a med. sized pot. Add enough water to cover. Add 1/8 tsp. of salt to the water. Boil on high for about 10 min., or until fork pierces carrot slices and they are soft. Drain water from carrots, and using a blender or magic bullet, puree carrots. Add 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of sugar to pureed carrots. If carrots are getting stuck in blender process, add a tiny bit of water to them. Blend until spices, sugar, and carrots are mixed together. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon. Mix well. Add egg to mix. Add pureed carrot mixture. Add just enough milk to mix to make a waffle-like batter consistency (I start with 1/2 a cup and then add more if batter is too thick). Mix well. Fold in the raisins. Pour by 1/4 cup fulls into heated waffle iron.
- While the waffle is cooking, use a mixer to blend together the cream cheese, syrup, sugar, and sour cream.
- When the waffle is finished, let cool a bit, and then add cream cheese mix to half the waffle. Fold other half of waffle over to make a sandwich. Enjoy!