What bread is best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't fret Steve and take heart. I am a label reader. And there are enough of us that eventually we will make a difference. More and more mothers today are concerned with what is being fed their children. All those B vitamins and other nutrients can be found in so many other foods. All I know is that when I cook from scratch (including bread) I feel so much better. And although it may be time consuming, making bread can be very therapeutic. Being a diabetic, I won't buy any product that has an 'ose ingredient in it. No matter what name they give it, it is sugar.

One alternative to white bread that I have found recently is oatmeal bread. Has a great texture and is a good substitue for white when making grilled cheese :). Oatmeal is also supposed to help with high cholesterol so I figured, why not try :).

Lately I've used whole wheat for toast in the morning and for my sandwich for lunch I've been alternating between white and whole wheat!

I loved white bread for home roasted turkey sammies and grilled cheese. But now I enjoy the nutty complex flavor of multi grain bread, seeded rye bread and sour dough breads better than white. I make homemade (10 grain) multi grain bread and it is wonderful.

I've cut out white/wholemeal bread over the last few months just because I don't eat much of it so when I buy a loaf most of it goes to waste. I've been eating pumpernickle and I much prefer it.

I may agree with texture and taste but in the UK the government brought in a law after WW2 whilst rationing applied to add certain minerals like calcium to all white flour. These additions eradicated for instance rickets.The law still applies.
The Chorley Wood method was a crime against bread, you are lucky that it is not used much in the US.:yum:

Sounds like Wonder Bread (which is not at all wonderful :wacko: ). They take out all the nutrients and add back in big tablets containing "vitamins and minerals" all made out of chemicals. Yuck.

There's always another expert around the corner, brand new study in hand, with a new opinion that contradicts the previous theory.
When it comes down to it, no one knows their head from their behind. Eat what you like in reasonable portions and enjoy it. There's no reason to worry about what they say causes some ailment when you know in a couple years they are just going to change their mind again. It's as bad as the weather forecast with this stuff.
So which bread is best? The one that works the best for what you're doing.

Co-sign

Studies are always saying something that "use" to be good for you isn't good anymore. My theory is anything you eat that is packaged and sold in stores is subject to question. Hence all this cancer and disease that is so wide spread. But that's another story.........

But back to the question at hand.... I like wheat bread but I eat white every now and then. I think subway has the best wheat bread but I'm sure it has some type of flavor inhancer added, it's just too good.

Even when I was a child, many moons ago, and yet in Soviet Union, people knew that white bread is not good for you. The saying was : If yu want to be beautiful (don't forget those day full figure was comsider beautifull) and if you want to be healthy eat dark bread.

I think subway has the best wheat bread but I'm sure it has some type of flavor inhancer added, it's just too good.
Subway (along with McD's, Burger King, etc) adds a lot of chemicals to their bread. Most are generally regarded as safe, but there is one in particular, "azodicarbonamide," that you should be aware of as it's thought to cause asthma.

Azodicarbonamide: Another reason to avoid most bread

This compound is used in the manufacture of plastics and foam products. Interesting to note that the U.S. is one of the few nations in the world that actually allows it as a food ingredient. In fact, in Singapore, if you are caught using it in food manufacturing, you can be fined up to $450,000 and put in jail for 15 years.

Reading things like this is the main reason I completely avoid all fast food. I just don't understand why they add all of these chemicals. It doesn't take that many ingredients to make bread.

Subway (along with McD's, Burger King, etc) adds a lot of chemicals to their bread. Most are generally regarded as safe, but there is one in particular, "azodicarbonamide," that you should be aware of as it's thought to cause asthma.

Azodicarbonamide: Another reason to avoid most bread

This compound is used in the manufacture of plastics and foam products. Interesting to note that the U.S. is one of the few nations in the world that actually allows it as a food ingredient. In fact, in Singapore, if you are caught using it in food manufacturing, you can be fined up to $450,000 and put in jail for 15 years.

Reading things like this is the main reason I completely avoid all fast food. I just don't understand why they add all of these chemicals. It doesn't take that many ingredients to make bread.

Whaaaaat?? I knew it, I just knew it. Dang! Ignorance is bliss... How sad it can make you sometimes "to know better".:( Oh well........

I try very hard to keep chemicals found in food, out of my diet. So much of my cooking is from scratch using foods that have to be prepared. Fresh meat, artisan bread, fresh or frozen veggies, etc. Within about five or six hours I can tell that I have had some chemical inducted food and feel lousy. I love to grab a nice large vine ripened tomato and snack on it. Or some lettuce leafs dipped in rice vinegar.

Homemade multi grain bread

img_1071751_0_1b57d38fa17dc4d7a5258d83ced62f21.jpg

img_1071751_1_1d6748ac1fd677cfea3b323447ea3a6f.jpg

Thank you. I made a loaf of 10 grain bread the other day but no pics.
NO pics is ok. Every time I look at pics of your fantastic food, I gain 5 pounds!

Just finished off the leftovers of the Pork chop recipe you posted. That was awesome good! Pork Chops with a bunch of taters and gravy; What's not to love?

NO pics is ok. Every time I look at pics of your fantastic food, I gain 5 pounds!

Just finished off the leftovers of the Pork chop recipe you posted. That was awesome good! Pork Chops with a bunch of taters and gravy; What's not to love?
You gotta make them with the kraut next time. LOL That bit of sour is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom