"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 11-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Senior Cook

What bread is best?

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum so please let me know. White bread has always been my favorite since I was a little girl and that is also what my kids like. Of late all the health experts have said that multi grain or whole wheat is better. My kids will only eat white but I will sometimes alternate between multigrain and whole wheat even though I don't really care for either one for sandwiches. Just the other day I saw online this dietician who was saying to avoid whole wheat and multigrain bread because your body converts it to sugar. Now I don't know what to believe. Should I give up bread all together or just go back to white?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by She Eats Cheese View Post
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum so please let me know. White bread has always been my favorite since I was a little girl and that is also what my kids like. Of late all the health experts have said that multi grain or whole wheat is better. My kids will only eat white but I will sometimes alternate between multigrain and whole wheat even though I don't really care for either one for sandwiches. Just the other day I saw online this dietician who was saying to avoid whole wheat and multigrain bread because your body converts it to sugar. Now I don't know what to believe. Should I give up bread all together or just go back to white?
I'll just say this to you. I'm diabetic and my endo and dietitian both prefer I use wheat bread or any dark bread to white. Reason being wheat doesn't cause such a fast rise in blood glucose as does white. Can you guess my favorite bread with butter? Yes that's right wheat or multigrain with nuts.Use white now and then it's not going to do you in just not as good for you but a must at certain times.
kades

Old 11-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I now use wheat bread for toast but I still prefer white bread for sandwiches so I think I'm gonna alternate between them when I pack my lunch!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

When making your lunch, use one slice of white and the other on a grain one that you like. Eventually you will find yourself making your lunch with the grain of your choice. Kadesma is right. There are fewer calories in the grain bread and less sugar. I too am a diabetic. I find that after I eat a grain bread, it takes a while for my sugar levels to increase. And often if I eat a protein with the grain, my sugar levels stay the same or even go down occasionally. Last month I bought a small loaf of white bread at the beginning of the month. By the end of the month, I had used only two slices and tossed the rest to the birds. I now prefer the variety of the tastes between the grain and other foods that I eat with it. I also have found that I have lost a few pounds by making this choice. A benefit I hadn't thought of.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When making your lunch, use one slice of white and the other on a grain one that you like. Eventually you will find yourself making your lunch with the grain of your choice. Kadesma is right. There are fewer calories in the grain bread and less sugar. I too am a diabetic. I find that after I eat a grain bread, it takes a while for my sugar levels to increase. And often if I eat a protein with the grain, my sugar levels stay the same or even go down occasionally. Last month I bought a small loaf of white bread at the beginning of the month. By the end of the month, I had used only two slices and tossed the rest to the birds. I now prefer the variety of the tastes between the grain and other foods that I eat with it. I also have found that I have lost a few pounds by making this choice. A benefit I hadn't thought of.
Great post Addie. I have to agree the darker the bread the tastier the sammie. I love all dark breads and have found my blood glucose rises much more slowly after eating them and protein or things like deviled eggs with a touch of mayo and Dijon I digress thanks for the great post once again.
kades
Old 11-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Moderation.

Bread is one of the oldest foods known to man(some 9000years BC). Man kind wasn't bleaching flour and adding preservatives until relatively recently(in the grand scheme of bread). If you like white bread, eat it. . .in moderation. I am not gonna lie, I think that the loaf of $.99 Loaf of Wonder Bread makes THE best Bologna sandwich, and white bread is an American staple. But, with whole grain/wheat/wheatberry/7grain, all of that stuff has a place in the culinary world, always has and always will. It does a body good. . .BUT, so does good ol white bread.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
Executive Chef

But shirley Tatters mate the world (in all its glory) is not that old.
For no particular reason I have not been making yeast bread for about a month, I have been messing with Irish soda and Serbian Proja (corn bread).

My tip for Soda bread breakfast muffin makers, mixs lots of the dry ingredients in a poly bag and each morning take some and mix with the liquids and berries.I love a good muffin.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

If you are trying to adjust to the difference in taste to grain bread, I would suggest you start out with a light rye bread. It has the mildest flavor of all the grain breads.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
Sous Chef

There's always another expert around the corner, brand new study in hand, with a new opinion that contradicts the previous theory.
When it comes down to it, no one knows their head from their behind. Eat what you like in reasonable portions and enjoy it. There's no reason to worry about what they say causes some ailment when you know in a couple years they are just going to change their mind again. It's as bad as the weather forecast with this stuff.
So which bread is best? The one that works the best for what you're doing.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
Head Chef

One difference is that white bread is made from just the endosperm of the grain where all the energy from starch is concentrated for the plant to grow a shoot and root. Whole grain grounds the outer husk of the seed, too, which has a more complex chemical composition, including minerals, vitamins and amino acids not present in refined white flour. (I prefer white bread, too.)