What Sandwiches Really Float Your Boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My secret sandwich passion is hard-boiled egg and cress mixed into mayonnaise on sliced bread. Very basic but soothing when you're tired and hungry but can't face making or eating a humungous Triple D offering. I like others too but egg and cress is great comfort food.

I like to watch Triple D for the sandwiches. I don't think we have quite got a grip on the American style of sandwich over here although I did draw the line at the huge roll with everything but the kitchen sink in it with a large measure of meat gravy poured over the whole sandwich. It looked like it would serve three people but was for one person!

I'm no longer a bread eater, but occasionally make it using alternative flours and so on. My three favorite sandwiches, in no particular order:

1. Reuben

2. Grilled cheese

3. Gyro
I am also not a bread eater. I have done reuben soup melted cheese on a chickpea and carrot waffle...made with a bit of chickpea flour. I've also done dehydrated carrots and lettuce in a "round" to use as a wrap for a BLT.

My secret sandwich passion is hard-boiled egg and cress mixed into mayonnaise on sliced bread. Very basic but soothing when you're tired and hungry but can't face making or eating a humungous Triple D offering. I like others too but egg and cress is great comfort food.

I like to watch Triple D for the sandwiches. I don't think we have quite got a grip on the American style of sandwich over here although I did draw the line at the huge roll with everything but the kitchen sink in it with a large measure of meat gravy poured over the whole sandwich. It looked like it would serve three people but was for one person!

You are so right Mad Cow. Unfortunately in this country we seem to think more is better. It used to be that you sent your kid off to school in the morning with a sandwich of two slices of white bread covered with either mustard or mayo. Then you put one or two slices of baloney and one or two slices of cheese. A single Hostess cupcake for dessert, maybe a piece of fruit and change to buy a drink if you didn't have a boxed drink that was loaded with sugar on hand. Now kids are handed enough money to buy several slices of pizza, or a large sub with "every thing but the kitchen sink" on the way to school. No wonder we seem to have an epidemic of obesity in this country.

As adults we eat out at restaurants that pile our plates right to the edge. And then there are all the sides that go with it. You end up taking a doggie bag with you when you leave. Unless you are a laborer digging ditches all day, there is no way any normal person can clean their plate.

I have never been a big eater. In fact when I make a sandwich now, I use one slice of bread, cut it in half and remove the crust. It doesn't make a big sandwich. But it fills me.

My daughter took me out to eat for my birthday. We both ordered the fried clam plate. Hold the French Fries. So they gave us a few extra clams and a huge pile of fried onions. I ate about four or five of the clams, and I was full. My daughter did a little better than me. We both took a doggie bag home. They had no child's menu. I will often order from that if it is allowed.

Yup! We are a country of piggies when it comes to eating. :angel:

Last edited:
Oh no...not another attack on the open faced roast beef. That's been done to death. :rolleyes:

Addie, things have greatly changed since your kids were little. In my family, there is no way my daughters would send my grandchildren to school with "enough money to buy several slices of pizza" and call it good. They bring nutritious lunches from home, which doesn't include a Hostess cupcake, btw. It's unfair to paint American families with school children with such a wide brush. As far as American restaurants, I'm thankful that many of them offer senior servings and/or half plates nowadays. We have many choices in restaurant fare, and free will. ;)

-------------------
Gosh, as far as fave sandwiches...I love so many of the ones already mentioned. I grill tri tip often and love the leftovers thinly sliced on a toasted onion bun with a horseradish/mayo blend. Peanut butter and honey on a good, dense whole wheat is a fave standby when there's not much else on hand....I love egg salad with chopped cucumber on a half bagel. Reubens and BLT's, too...! I've gotten lots of good ideas from this thread. :yum:

Last edited:
There's a place at our favorite vacation spot that serves a bacon and lobster sammie on marble rye that's to die for. The serving is big enough to split.

DH and I almost always split our restaurant meals.

Love me a good reuben, BLT, peanut butter-honey-banana, cochinita pibil tacos, and many more.

Many of my schools I worked at were low income, and parents never sent their kids to school with extra money, they didn't have any extra money. Plus, there was no place to buy anything on the way to school. Our school cafeterias here actually serve decent food, not just chicken nuggets and soggy fries. I ate it myself. Our local high school has downright haute cuisine, beautiful cafeteria and excellent food, sort of like a mall food court with healthy choices.

Last edited:
I'm in the "so many choices" camp, too.
~ Grilled cheese with bread-and-butter pickles, slices of good tomato, or crisp bacon
~ Tuna melt
~ Open-faced grilled cheese: whole-wheat bread, lightly toasted, then topped with wafer-thin raw mushrooms and thin slices of Jarlsberg or Fontina cheese, popped under the broiler until the cheese melts and starts to brown :yum:
~ Peanut butter and honey on honey wheat bread - or raisin cinnamon bread
~ A GOOD grilled beef burger, medium rare, topped with sauteed mushrooms and Swiss cheese.

...It used to be that you sent your kid off to school in the morning with a sandwich of two slices of white bread covered with either mustard or mayo. Then you put one or two slices of baloney and one or two slices of cheese. A single Hostess cupcake for dessert, maybe a piece of fruit...
So many things wrong with that lunchbox by today's standards. Whole-grain bread instead of squishy white, no processed meat, no cupcakes or anything sweet. You can still have that piece of fruit, though.

As adults we eat out at restaurants that pile our plates right to the edge....
I have yet to eat at a restaurant where they have the server hold a gun to your head until you clean that plate. I always ask for a carry-out container when I order. I always move at least half off my plate to take home. Himself waits until he's full before he gives in and gets his container, too.

Yup! We are a country of piggies when it comes to eating...
More like restaurants like to pile plates high to please people. I'm please I won't have to cook the next day. :LOL:

Dawg, I wish Himself was willing to share. It would be so much cheaper that way. But no, he wants his own, so we take leftovers home almost all of the time. :glare: Stubborn old man.

CG, DH and I are similar enough in size and height, and our appetites are similar. He can eat a bit more than I, and polishes off whatever I might have left. Splitting meals makes a whole lot of sense to us, and it really saves a lot of dinero!

Himself is probably bigger than you.

Indeed he is, Dawg, by about 9 inches in height and 100 pounds in heft. :ohmy: It used to be only 7 1/2 inches, but I'm the only one who seems to be shrinking. Still, he usually ends up taking enough leftovers home that would have worked for me had I also had a small salad or cup of soup. But nooooo, he has to have his OWN meal. :ROFLMAO: His logic is that we end up with a second meal that doesn't cost extra. I tell him that I could make a better-tasting "second meal" from scratch for a lot less money - and he doesn't have to tip me for serving since he serves himself. :LOL:

BLT

My favorite is the little ritual when I get the first ripe tomato from one of our 2 plants. We make a BLT with that fresh picked tomato!:yum:

Believe it or not...pre-packaged egg salad sandwiches. I can't seem to make good egg salad sandwiches. I use mayo, not too much, then add chopped celery, and some yellow mustard for color and taste. I feel as if I'm missing a key ingredient somehow, maybe BBQ'd potato chips to go with this sandwich. :LOL:

Last edited:
Caslon, try a bit of sweet pickle relish in your next egg salad.

Ok. But egg salad needs something to counteract what it's composed of. Eggs and oil and more egg. I add some yellow mustard and celery pieces, but still not there yet. I don't want to go sweet, necessarily. Maybe add some dill weed?

What makes it up, for me, is being sure to have some BBQ potato chips on hand to go with my egg salad sandwich. :yum:

To get back on topic...a professionally made deli bought sandwich is better than any sandwich I can make, out of my fridge.
I'm ok with that.

Last edited:
Ok. But egg salad needs something to counteract what it's composed of. Eggs and oil and more egg. I add some yellow mustard and celery pieces, but still not there yet. I don't want to go sweet, necessarily. Maybe add some dill weed?

What makes it up, for me, is being sure to have some BBQ potato chips on hand to go with my egg salad sandwich. :yum:

To get back on topic...a professionally made deli bought sandwich is better than any sandwich I can make, out of my fridge.
I'm ok with that.

Try adding a little curry powder or paprika. One of our favorite style potato salads has HB eggs, mayo, Marzetti's slaw dressing, yellow mustard, salad olives, S&P.

With the right bread, almost anything. There is a local bakery that does a booming business in sandwiches. They make their own baguettes, ciabattas, and artisan breads. Whatever goes in the middle is just an enhancement to the bread.

We don't have any aversion to carbs, as we're both pretty active. We try to keep the fats down, and dessert is only when we have dinner guests. Seems to be working.

I'm ok with that.

An acidic ingredient that has some texture would counter the richness from the egg. I'd use minced dill pickle.

Egg and tomato go well together i.e. the tomato cuts the richness of the egg and provides a fresh taste.

Deli meats i look for;

corned beef
roast beef
liverwursr
honey hom
Pastramii

Good luck!!!

Last edited:
I've said it before, and I apologize for repeating myself. when I was little I am sure there was a conspiracy between the school lunch ladies and my mom about who could Always introduce egg shell bits in my egg salad sandwiches. Gah. Solution I found was to place a layer of potato chips on the sandwich and then eat.

That said, I like to sometimes mix in thin sliced and diced radish, or jalapeno peppers or a spoon full of well drained Famous Dave's ( or other) pepper relish. Bbq flavored potato chips sounds like a new added treat to me.
--

Caramelized onions is a good addition to just about any sandwich, like grilled cheese.

Back
Top Bottom