"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 02-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I am with Charlie. I eat my sandwiches with a knife and fork. Do we know if the Earl's sandwich had two slices of bread?
Yes, it did. He wanted to be able to eat it with one hand, so he could continue playing cards and not have to use utensils.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:31 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

This thread reminds me of something. We had an exchange student from Denmark once. We took him to visit some of my family in California at Christmas time and one day, went to a restaurant for lunch before going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. We had my then 8-or-so year-old sister with us. He ordered a cheeseburger and proceeded to eat it with a knife and fork. Her eyes got huge - she could not imagine why he didn't just pick it up lol To be honest, neither did we.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #23
Master Chef

I guess my patty melts are neater than yours, PF, and my tuna melt is also neater than yours, GG, because I make each of those as a two-bread, hand held sandwich. Neither of them are "grilled" in the sense of buttered-and-pan-grilled, though, since I do them panini style with dry bread in my Griddler. We've come to like them better that way.

I've never thought of my meatball or sausage sandwiches as "open-faced" until you mentioned it, Aunt Bea. We just always call them messy. I think I'll change the name to make it sound more upscale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've never been a fan of the open-face sandwich. When I hear "sandwich" I expect to be picking it up and eating it out of hand.
I'm with you on this, too, most of the time. I have to admit, though, when I have a real hankering for that warm-and-fuzzy feeling I get when eating a "memory food", I will make a hot beef or hot pork sandwich for supper if I have one of those leftover meats on hand. Still, instead of open-faced, I tend to stack the second slice of bread on top of my layers of meat, then cover the bread in more gravy.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I guess my patty melts are neater than yours, PF, and my tuna melt is also neater than yours, GG, because I make each of those as a two-bread, hand held sandwich. Neither of them are "grilled" in the sense of buttered-and-pan-grilled, though, since I do them panini style with dry bread in my Griddler. We've come to like them better that way.

I've never thought of my meatball or sausage sandwiches as "open-faced" until you mentioned it, Aunt Bea. We just always call them messy. I think I'll change the name to make it sound more upscale.

I'm with you on this, too, most of the time. I have to admit, though, when I have a real hankering for that warm-and-fuzzy feeling I get when eating a "memory food", I will make a hot beef or hot pork sandwich for supper if I have one of those leftover meats on hand. Still, instead of open-faced, I tend to stack the second slice of bread on top of my layers of meat, then cover the bread in more gravy.
I also add sauteed mushrooms, onions and peppers...they are a glorious mess to eat. I make tuna melts way overstuffed with lots of garlic, butter and cheese.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #25
Master Chef

I put a mess of caramelized onions on ours, but I use copious amounts of cheese to keep them plastered against the meat and bread.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:18 PM   #26
Proud American

Joyce makes of such nice ham and Swiss cheese open sandwiches of onion buns. She puts these in of the broiler to brown the buns and melt cheese, then serves these with her pork gravy poured over the top.

Mamma makes of the nice roast beef and cheddar sandwich of garlic and cheese toast and bakes these until the cheese melted and the toast is little brown and makes her nice beef gravy over it.

Now we must stop speaking of this! I am becoming hungry again so all of you must stop of these tempting discussions immediately!

Ha!

Love,
~Cat
Old 02-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #27
Head Chef

oh dear I have many but I guess my two favorites would be:
Roast beef & gravy and a Ruben
Talking with my 93 year old aunt yesterday, she is in a rehab center and getting ready to be discharge next week. She was saying can't wait to get home for some good food. She brought up different dishes in the past, which made me think of one my mother used to make once a week. Make a white sauce add some peas to it and slices of hard boiled eggs and tuna and serve it onto top on biscuits.
Back then I wasn't a great fan of it but it got me thinking so I had to come home and make it. It was the best open face I have had in long time. After losing my mom in December, It was a great memory.

Tags
sandwich