What's your favorite Open-Faced Sandwich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
We've had numerous posts about favorite sandwiches. but never one about favorite open-faced hot sandwiches. Here's your chance to tell us your favorite, and how to make it.

Me, I'm thinking hot roasted pork on whole wheat, with a side of baked beans and smashed spuds. The sandwich needs to be seasoned with S&P, and a bit of granulated garlic, but just a bit. The gravy must be made from the pork juices and be thickened with a buttery roux. For desert, a slice of hot apple pie and a glass of milk.

REmember, your open faced sandwich can be grilled toast with hot peanut butter, to turkey and dressing with gravy, to roast beef with au-jus. It has to be opened face, and exceptionally comforting. The rest is up to you.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The Hot Brown or one of many variations.

The Hot Brown Signature Sandwich and much more at The English Grill in The Brown Hotel

We used to have a department store in town that made them, remember when full service department stores had restaurants in them.

They are also nice made with fresh asparagus instead of tomatoes.

I'm also a big fan of the open steak sandwich.

A NYS on garlic toast with a few fried onion rings on top, extra crispy fries and a spiced apple ring as a garnish, never could understand how the spiced apple ring figured into the picture! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Can I have two favorites? ;)

Thinly sliced roast beef warmed in beef gravy and served over white bread with mashed potatoes and more gravy on the side is one :yum:

The other is a tuna melt - lightly toast your favorite bread, top it with tuna salad and cheese (I like Havarti) and place in the oven for a few minutes, till the salad is warmed through and the cheese is melted. Delish!

A couple of local places specialize in gyros. Instead of sticking the meat, onions, tomatoes and tsatziki sauce inside the pita, I like it on top. So I guess that's open face.

Cochinita pibil tacos in Mexico! They're served on top of a soft tortilla, and I eat them with a fork.

Open face roast beef with mashed potatoes, smothered in gravy. Especially from a mom and pop diner.

Oops, that's three favorites.

Last edited:
Another favorite, not sure if it is truly open faced though.

A meatball sub that is baked in the oven with a topping of mozzarella cheese. The edges of the bun get brown and crispy while the cheese melts down over the meatballs, a real knife and fork sandwich.

easy-dinner-idea-meatball-sandwiches-4.jpg

Easy Dinner Idea: Oven Baked Meatball Sandwiches - Home Cooking Memories

A couple of layers of Hot Rare Roast Beef with Gravy on white bread. Sometimes I will use a slice of Italian white instead of American sliced. I am not a fan of white bread, but I don't want the flavor of wheat or other dark bread to interfere with the flavor of the main ingredients. :angel:

Mmmm.....AB, now I want a meatball sandwich!

I love a toasted bagel half with cream cheese, thinly sliced cukes, and smoked salmon. Had one of those yesterday. :yum: I also really like tuna melts, and hot pastrami with swiss cheese on toasted rye.

Does splitting a biscuit open and covering it with sausage gravy count? The other would be a crab melt over toasted English muffin.

Another favorite, not sure if it is truly open faced though.

A meatball sub that is baked in the oven with a topping of mozzarella cheese. The edges of the bun get brown and crispy while the cheese melts down over the meatballs, a real knife and fork sandwich.

easy-dinner-idea-meatball-sandwiches-4.jpg

Easy Dinner Idea: Oven Baked Meatball Sandwiches - Home Cooking Memories

The sub shop just around the corner from me makes them. I call it in, then arrive on my scooter. They bring it out to me all wrapped in double foil and I hand them my money. Still hot by the time I get back to my apartment. I can get one with hamburger, hot dot, chicken, eggplant, meatballs, Italian sausages, whatever is on the menu. So messy to eat, but OH so good. :angel:

Kind of an open sandwich, if a horizontally halved small baguette is allowed?

I like it spread with boursin and topped with sliced pear and walnuts. The combination of flavours and textures is wonderful. :yum:

A variation would be dolcelatte, grapes and walnuts.

Last edited:
Until I came to America, I have never seen sandwich covered with another piece of bread.
It was always open-faced sandwich growing up. Why eat extra bread? It is silly in my opinion.

Until I came to America, I have never seen sandwich covered with another piece of bread.
It was always open-faced sandwich growing up. Why eat extra bread? It is silly in my opinion.
I guess it might make some fillings easier to handle, without falling apart. I know my suggestion (in the post above yours) is a little tricky to hold onto - not for genteel dining - but it is well worth it!

Why do you feel it's 'silly', Charlie?

Why do you feel it's 'silly', Charlie?

Because I'd rather have an extra layer of salami, rather than an extra piece of bread. If I am going to fill up on something, I'd prefer meat, cheese rather than bread. Though as it was suggested it is easier to hold the sandwich when it is covered.

The word sandwich comes from the English Earl of Sandwich. Apparently, he enjoyed gambling - so much so that he did not want to leave the gambling table for dinner. So he had a servant make him a sandwich, since it was easier to eat while playing cards, and the preparation became associated with his name. This happened in 1762. I imagine they became popular in the United States because so many people here (on the East Coast, at least) in the early years were English.

More interesting history about it: The Food Timeline: history notes--sandwiches

I've never been a fan of the open-face sandwich. When I hear "sandwich" I expect to be picking it up and eating it out of hand.

Hot Roast Beef with Gravy (and mashed potatoes) is what I had for lunch yesterday

Patty melt with swiss on rye

Back
Top Bottom