"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 02-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
Master Chef

What's your favorite Open-Faced Sandwich?

We've had numerous posts about favorite sandwiches. but never one about favorite open-faced hot sandwiches. Here's your chance to tell us your favorite, and how to make it.

Me, I'm thinking hot roasted pork on whole wheat, with a side of baked beans and smashed spuds. The sandwich needs to be seasoned with S&P, and a bit of granulated garlic, but just a bit. The gravy must be made from the pork juices and be thickened with a buttery roux. For desert, a slice of hot apple pie and a glass of milk.

REmember, your open faced sandwich can be grilled toast with hot peanut butter, to turkey and dressing with gravy, to roast beef with au-jus. It has to be opened face, and exceptionally comforting. The rest is up to you.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Master Chef

The Hot Brown or one of many variations.

The Hot Brown Signature Sandwich and much more at The English Grill in The Brown Hotel

We used to have a department store in town that made them, remember when full service department stores had restaurants in them.

They are also nice made with fresh asparagus instead of tomatoes.

I'm also a big fan of the open steak sandwich.

A NYS on garlic toast with a few fried onion rings on top, extra crispy fries and a spiced apple ring as a garnish, never could understand how the spiced apple ring figured into the picture!

Old 02-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Can I have two favorites?

Thinly sliced roast beef warmed in beef gravy and served over white bread with mashed potatoes and more gravy on the side is one

The other is a tuna melt - lightly toast your favorite bread, top it with tuna salad and cheese (I like Havarti) and place in the oven for a few minutes, till the salad is warmed through and the cheese is melted. Delish!
Old 02-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What's your favorite Open-Faced Sandwich?

A couple of local places specialize in gyros. Instead of sticking the meat, onions, tomatoes and tsatziki sauce inside the pita, I like it on top. So I guess that's open face.

Cochinita pibil tacos in Mexico! They're served on top of a soft tortilla, and I eat them with a fork.

Open face roast beef with mashed potatoes, smothered in gravy. Especially from a mom and pop diner.

Oops, that's three favorites.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
Master Chef

Another favorite, not sure if it is truly open faced though.

A meatball sub that is baked in the oven with a topping of mozzarella cheese. The edges of the bun get brown and crispy while the cheese melts down over the meatballs, a real knife and fork sandwich.

Easy Dinner Idea: Oven Baked Meatball Sandwiches - Home Cooking Memories
Old 02-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

A couple of layers of Hot Rare Roast Beef with Gravy on white bread. Sometimes I will use a slice of Italian white instead of American sliced. I am not a fan of white bread, but I don't want the flavor of wheat or other dark bread to interfere with the flavor of the main ingredients.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

A meatball sub that is baked in the oven with a topping of mozzarella cheese. The edges of the bun get brown and crispy while the cheese melts down over the meatballs, a real knife and fork sandwich.

I love those, too, Aunt Bea. Such a mouth-watering picture
Old 02-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #8
Master Chef

Mmmm.....AB, now I want a meatball sandwich!

I love a toasted bagel half with cream cheese, thinly sliced cukes, and smoked salmon. Had one of those yesterday. I also really like tuna melts, and hot pastrami with swiss cheese on toasted rye.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Does splitting a biscuit open and covering it with sausage gravy count? The other would be a crab melt over toasted English muffin.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

I want that. Now.

Tags
sandwich