Wrap it up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burnt_Toast

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone. I have been getting into wraps lately and I was just wondering what is a good wrap spread to hold the wrap together and put some good healthly low fat colories in to the wrap at the same time?

I use a flavored lowfat cream cheese like garden vegetable, or garlic and chives. I also have used pesto. Depending on your other fillings a black bean spread is good also. Here is my black bean dip that works good as a spread.

Mexican Black Bean Dip

1-15.5 oz. can black beans
1/3 cup salsa
¼ cup cilantro leaves
4 teaspoons lemon or lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, diced (optional)

Drain and rinse black beans. Combine beans, cilantro, lemon juice, garlic and jalapeno in food processor. Blend until smooth. Garnish with leaflets of cilantro. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

Last edited:
yogurt cheese:
dump an 8-oz. carton of Dannon plain yogurt into a very finely-meshed strainer. put the strainer of yogurt over a 16-oz. empty sour cream container for a day or 2 in the fridge. discard the resulting whey.
season the yogurt cheese w/ garlic, scallions, pepper, worcestershire, bleu cheese if you want to sharpen the flavor, capers, minced green olives, ham... anything that seems as if it will compliment the other ingredients.

I love yogurt as well and here are two more ideas for low fat spreads:

Plain low fat yogurt about a cup. Add to it grated carrots, grated cucumbers (squeeze the water out). Lots of black pepper and salt to taste. Add any fresh herbs of your choice and use as a spread.

Cottage Cheese - You can use low fat and blend it using a handblender until smooth. Add extremely finely chopped red and green bell peppers to it for color and flavor. I also add roasted garlic to it and fresh herbs along with salt and black pepper.

Another Yogurt spread: Blend fresh herbs (2 cups) of your choice (Basil, cilantro, parsley and mint all work well or even a mixture of two will do) along with a cup of plain yogurt. 3 cloves of garlic, salt, jalapeno pepper and lime juice. Let it chill in the refrigerator and then use as a spread.

Thisisn't a low fat, but is a healthy fat. Guacamole.

The way I was taught to make it is simple, and very tasty.

Ingredients:
1 ripe Haas Avacado
2 dashes Tobascoe Sauce (or to taste)
1 tbs. minced fresh onion
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup finely diced tomato

Mash it all together with an immersion blender or fork. Use with wraps, burritoes, or anything else tortilla.

I could really go for a great carne asada burrito with guacamole right now.

I'm going to have to purchase some suitable beef, cilantro, lime and such to make some. Can't get them anywhere in the Sault except at my house. I'm not in Southern California anymore.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I have used olive oil (good fat) and sauteed some vegies with some chicken. I spread the pita with some salsa and add the stir-fry mixture. It's great..... and why not dollop some low-fat/nonfat sour cream on top.. or dunk it in!

Great ideas!!!!!!
Yeah!!! Goodweed posted on my thread!!!! I so Happy.
Weed, I Love your Pancakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(bettebet, I moved your question about yogurt cheese and mayo to it's own thread, which is located in the "eggs, cheese and dairy" forum)
:)

Toffuti Better Than Cream Cheese

I am not a huge fan of tofu, but I have tried a cream cheese substitute called tofutti better than cream cheese. It is actually pretty darn good. I have seen tofutti products at Trader Joe's. Here is some info. from the company website.

BETTER THAN CREAM CHEESE® is similar in taste and texture to traditional cream cheese, but is milk and butterfat free and contains no cholesterol. It is as versatile as real cream cheese, whether spread on a bagel, used as a dip for snack items, such as crackers or chips, or used in any favorite recipe. The 8oz. retail packages are available in Plain, French Onion, Herbs & Chives, Smoked Salmon, Garlic & Herb, Garden Veggie, Creamed Spinach and Broccoli Cheddar. The plain version is also available in 30 lb. bulk boxes. The product is sold in many health food stores and supermarkets around the country.

pp_btcc_plain.gif

http://www.tofutti.com/

Hi Brooksy,
What do you do with the chili?
Also what recipes do you have? I bought the book Yochee.
Brooke

Hi,
I have seen it refered to as cheese. I guess it is the process or because it is dairy?
I have a Galloping Gourmet strainer. See www.healthyhighways.com.
These folks have a recipe book called Yochee. It tells you how t omake Yogurt Cheese and over 300 recipes.
Brooke

bettebet said:
Hi Brooksy,
What do you do with the chili?
Also what recipes do you have? I bought the book Yochee.
Brooke

Brooke - sorry about the delay in replying, I've been a bit crook lately.

Finally chop a couple of the juiciest chillies you can find & mix it into your fav yogurt cheese.

I search the web for recipes, but you can't go wrong adding lemon or lime juice, parsley or mint, chilli, garlic.
Mix & match.
Sundried or smoked tomatoes finely diced or roast capsicum or both.
Smashed anchovies, garlic & capers - brilliant.

There is a product called Balsamic Glaze by Roland, a product of Italy.

mex-grocer_1926_20646287

Smoke some tuna and freshly sliced fennel, red peppers in a stove-top smoker for about 20 minutes (using the first wisp of smoke method), slice everything and place in wrap, drizzle with balsamic glaze.

Or stir-fry different peppers, onions, fennel, using this glaze and top the tuna.

Another "wrap" to use is the rice paper rounds used for Viet summer rolls. Wrap shrimp or chicken salad, burrito style, slice in half.

Back
Top Bottom