Yet another version of Grilled Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw this on a restaurant menu recently and I asked how it was made. I didn't order the sandwich but some things you know are good just by reading or hearing how it's made.

Ingredients:

Sandwich bread
Shredded cheese: Swiss, cheddar, provolone, and mozzarella.
Butter
Panko crumbs
milk and egg for a wash

Directions:

Choose the mix of cheeses you'd like and put a healthy portion between 2 slices of sandwich bread or other bread of your choice.

Dip the sandwich in the milk/egg wash then dredge in Panko crumbs.

Melt a little butter in a skillet, grill the sandwich on both sides until browned.

My thoughts on variations......

Texas Toast is too this and throws off the bread/cheese ratio. Rye, pumpernickel, or sourdough bread would be good as long as it doesn't have a hard crust. I find the hard crust on the edge of a sandwich to be unpleasant. If I use a hard crust bread, I'll trim the crust off before I start.

Italian seasoned Panko crumbs sounds promising especially if you cut each sandwich into sticks after browning and have a marinara sauce for dipping. Expand on the Italian flavors and add some chopped pepperoni slices in with the cheese.

To make a slightly heartier sandwich, take some shredded chicken that's been cooked with your favorite seasoning and add that in with the cheese.

Go Cajun with that chicken. Cook it up with some Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning. You'll need ranch dressing for dipping.

Instead of the 4 cheese blend with pepperoni or chicken, throw on all the fixings for a Philly Cheese Steak then dredge and brown.

Chili Popper version: add jalapeño slices. If you don't like hot peppers, grill the slices first. You can cook the heat out of a jalapeño and still keep the flavor.

oh man, stink. the original plus all of your variations sound great. i have ro go food shopping today or tomorrow, so i think cheese, bread, and panko just got added to the list.

thanks for posting this!

Back
Top Bottom