100% rye bread water ratio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
13932691_10154285480285435_772525223065322962_n.jpg

Are you looking for something like that? IT's a fantastic recipe I use all the time :chef:

Please share the recipe. I love rye bread.

Original poster, I am sure, have found or gave up on the recipe by now. It is a very old thread, from 2012 originally.

Haha wow, I didn't even see that!

The original recipe uses no measurements but "glasses", which I am laothe to do as a scientist, but I do it and it does work.

Mix 4 glasses of water with 2 glasses 100% sourdough starter and 4 glasses of whole grains (I use rye grains). Leave for 12 hours, lightly covered.

Mix in 4 glasses of flour (I use all rye, but you can add some wheat too) and salt. All I can sugest is guessing the salt, as it depends on the size of your glass! Leave covered for another 12 hours.

Spoon the "dough" (more like a paste) into loaf pans (I highly recommend buttered anodised aluminium pans; never had any sticking problems) and leave to prove for 1 hour (any longer and you may get a flying crust).

Bake at 200 degrees C for 1-1.5 hours. You can test it like a cake with a skewer. When cool enough, place the bread into a plastic bag so the residual steam softens the crust and makes it easy to cut. I periodically invert the bag do it doesn't saturate the bread too much.

Thank you. What size glass are you using? Also do you do anything for the top of the loaf? Looks like there are some seeds in the picture?

The size of the glass I use I think is around 3/4 of a pint. However, as long as you keep everything in glasses, it shouldn't matter. Consistency is the key there! Usually, I dislike recipes with glasses of ingredients, but as this is pretty much only glasses, it's consistent and I let it slide :)

I don't top it with anything as I am afraid the long cooking time will burn it. The seeds into the photo are the rye grains which soak with the water and starter in the first stage. Some of them end up at the top of the loaf, ut they are evenly-distributed throughout.

13434787_10154137647095435_4555705643183764877_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom