100% Whole Wheat bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bakechef

Executive Chef
My niece pointed me to this recipe from a blog for 100% whole wheat bread, and I'm glad that she did, this made a beautiful, high rising loaf that wasn't at all crumbly.

My adaptation was to add vital wheat gluten, and to use 1/2 white whole wheat flour from King Arthur for a lighter flavor. The original used all regular whole wheat and no vital wheat gluten.

I think that the "magic" of this bread is letting 1/2 the flour soak for a while. This will be my go-to wheat bread recipe.

SG1L0101.JPG

SG1L0104.JPG

Combine just until everything is moistened. Let sit for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours:
1 ½ cups (212g) whole wheat flour
1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour (212g) (all regular whole wheat can be substituted)
2 ½ cups (567g) lukewarm water

in a small bowl or measuring cup combine:
2 ¼ teaspoons yeast (7g) (one packet)
¼ cup (56g) lukewarm water (approx 110 degrees F)
2 teaspoons honey
Let sit until foamy, about 20 minutes

To the “soaked” flour add the yeast mixture, and:
1 ½ cups (212g) whole wheat flour
1 ½ cups (212g) white whole wheat flour (regular whole wheat can be substituted)
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vital wheat gluten (25g) (optional)
3 tablespoons melted butter (43g)
1 ½ teaspoons salt
¼ cup honey (85g)
¾ cup add ins, such as sunflower, flax, sesame, wheat germ (optional)

Mix until combined into a soft, but not sticky dough. Knead 5-10 minutes until relatively smooth. Place into a greased bowl and let rise until double about 1 ½ hours. Divide into two equal pieces and form into a loaf. Place into two greased 9x5” loaf pans and let rise until the dough fills the pan and peeks over the top. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit, bake loaves for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely before slicing.

To make a nice "glue" to help the seeds stick to the top:
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 cup water
combine cornstarch and water until cornstarch is dissolved in small microwave safe bowl. Cook on high in the microwave for 45-60 seconds until boiling and looks glossy, it should only be slightly thick. Brush on loaves generously and top, or roll in seeds. Place in pans and proof and bake as usual.

Last edited:
Very nice, I usually end up with dense door stops when I use 100% whole wheat!

I wonder if it would work with half oatmeal and half whole wheat.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Back
Top Bottom