A favorite recipe Revisited, Yeast-Raised Doughnuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This recipe doesn't make cake doughnuts, but after eating them, you won't care. Don't be put off by the name. These things are feather-light, suprememly tender, and lightly crispy on the outside. And they taste yummy too. And to give credit where credit is due, I obtained this recipe from my DIL, though she uses it to make dinner rolls. I just use the dough a bit differently.

The recipe, I found out, was originally used to make a product called Spudnuts, that were pretty famous in the doughnut world. The dough also make amazing cinnamon rolls as well. Enjoy.

Yeast Raised Potato Doughnuts

1lb Potatoes (aprox 3 med potatoes) Cooked and mashed. ( you can use instant potatoes if you wish too)
-Reserve 1/2 cup of liquid from boiling potatoes
-Mix: 1 1/2 C warm milk
1/2 C oil
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 TBS salt

If potato water is cool enough add 2TBS of Yeast to water and then add to previous mixture.
Add 7 1/2 C flour ( dough will be soft) and I usually mix the last cup or so into mixture by hand kneading
Let raise till double then roll out to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into dounuts and place on parchment paper. Let rise until doubled in size.

Preheat vegetable or sunflower oil to 360'. Gently place doughnuts in the hot oil, a few at a time. Don't crowd the pan. Flip when they are lightly browned. Remove from the oil and glaze with a mixture made from powdered sugar and milk.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thank you, thank you, I can finally use up the bag of instant mashed I still have from a year ago. It has been there for quick mashed potatoes, but as long as they've been there I didn't buy any REAL potatoes.

I've added yeast AND real potatoes to my grocery list.

Didn't you say your daughter used the recipe to make dinner rolls? That's what I'd like to make. May I please get her recipe?

Last edited:
There was a Spudnuts in Laramie while I was growing up...they were fantastic!

GW's appear to be the same recipe! Copied and pasted.

Talk about a walk down memory lane, GW !! Spudnuts were the most delectable doughnuts in the whole wide world. My parents and I would stop every Sunday morning after getting out of Church when I was a little kid! It was something I looked forward to all week, just nothing like them!
I'd love to try making these, but I don't have a stand mixer with a dough hook. Do you think 7 1/2 cups of flour would likely do me, and my hand mixer in?

Talk about a walk down memory lane, GW !! Spudnuts were the most delectable doughnuts in the whole wide world. My parents and I would stop every Sunday morning after getting out of Church when I was a little kid! It was something I looked forward to all week, just nothing like them!
I'd love to try making these, but I don't have a stand mixer with a dough hook. Do you think 7 1/2 cups of flour would likely do me, and my hand mixer in?

I always kneed by hand. I think the dough might be a bit stiff for a hand mixer. But did you know you can also kneed with a food processor? Just put the dough in and pulse a few times. It's then kneeded.

As for making the dinner rolls, roll the dough until its about as thick as a Toll house cookie after baking. Cut the dough into 3 inch rounds. Dip in melted butter, fold in half, and let rise on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350' F. until golden brown, about ten minutes I think. Make lots. They disappear fast, especially if you have strawberry freezer jam handy.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I always kneed by hand. I think the dough might be a bit stiff for a hand mixer. But did you know you can also kneed with a food processor? Just put the dough in and pulse a few times. It's then kneeded.

That amount of dough will fit into a standard food processor, GW? If not, I bet I can get my DH to help me. The rolls sound just delectable too!
Again, TSM!!;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom